Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

How to disable central dash dimmer?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 PM
How to disable central dash dimmer?

Hello.

I have a 2010 Fit and wonder if somebody knows how to disable the central dash dimmer?

If I turn the lights on the center dash (radio + climate) get's dimmed not to shine too much during night. That's ok for night driving, but if you drive with your lights on during the day the dash becomes practicly invisible. (you can't read the radio and climate screen).

The driver's gauges have a manual dimmer but unfortunately it doesn't influence on the central dash.

Any hacks?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by cupax
Hello.

I have a 2010 Fit and wonder if somebody knows how to disable the central dash dimmer?

If I turn the lights on the center dash (radio + climate) get's dimmed not to shine too much during night. That's ok for night driving, but if you drive with your lights on during the day the dash becomes practicly invisible. (you can't read the radio and climate screen).

The driver's gauges have a manual dimmer but unfortunately it doesn't influence on the central dash.

Any hacks?
Since we already have daytime running lights I never turn on my lights during the day. After all during the day you normally only turn on lights to gain visibility by others not to illuminate your way. I think DRL's are enough for rainy, foggy, etc. daylight visibility needs. If DRL's are not enough and full headlights needed then seems like it should be dark or overcast enough already for the dimmed dash lights not to be an issue.

_

Old 06-02-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm from EU, where we are forced by law to have lights on also during the day

Is there maybe a wire I could disconnect or a fuse?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
turn off your headlights when you're driving during the day time. problem solved. you've got plenty of natural light to illuminate the road with.

natural light > projector hid > halogen > candle light > ebay hid

Old 06-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
turn off your headlights when you're driving during the day time. problem solved. you've got plenty of natural light to illuminate the road with.

natural light > projector hid > halogen > candle light > ebay hid
NOT an option in EU. We are forced by law to have lights on during the day.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cupax
NOT an option in EU. We are forced by law to have lights on during the day.
sorry, i didn't realize you were outside the usa and my post's timing was off. you don't get drl's in europe? if it's a law to keep your headlights on during the day i'd imagine drl's would be standard... that's strange

Old 06-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
sorry, i didn't realize you were outside the usa and my post's timing was off. you don't get drl's in europe? if it's a law to keep your headlights on during the day i'd imagine drl's would be standard... that's strange
Indeed, they are standard on every European car for some years now, but not for imports like Hondas. And sadly even more, they are required for every car sold in Europe since this year, but I have a 2010 Honda

So I'm looking for a way to tweak it myself.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:27 PM
do they still dim if you have the dash dimmer setting turned all the way up (clock-wise)? i'm not near my car to verify.

all i know is that my (aftermarket pioneer) radio and gauges adjusts it's dimmer level according to the dimmer knob near the gauges.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:00 AM
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
do they still dim if you have the dash dimmer setting turned all the way up (clock-wise)? i'm not near my car to verify.

all i know is that my (aftermarket pioneer) radio and gauges adjusts it's dimmer level according to the dimmer knob near the gauges.
They dim independently ftom dashboard. The only way to control it is with main lights switch.