Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Anyone Mount Rally Type Lights on Their Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by denachuck
Thanks for the tutorial Triskelion. I drive from Salida to Alamosa most days a week. Long, straight stretches of highway with little traffic and great mountains all around.

Photos are here:

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/7808/photobuj.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img203/4763/photo1xa.jpg
FINALLY! Very nice! Good job! You should be able to identify night crawler species with them on. So is a cop spotlight next?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:11 AM
5 Year Member
Very nice set of headlights!

Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Here you go

Second link doesn't work, not sure why
Wanderer, here's the picture on the second link:

Old 03-15-2013, 01:50 PM
^Thanks!

I have a pair of lights sitting around I was going to mount on my old Corolla and never did... how easy it is to remove the bar?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Smiley faces:

Old 03-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Banned
Exclamation Another way to add lights--

Thanks to the OP for originating this thread so long ago. I really do admire the light bar that he used, especially considering the large diameter and heavy duty nature of the rally lights that he mounted.

Here is another way to do almost the same thing, without the need for the 1" holes through the bumper.

Light Wing

I have owned one of these light wings for about ten years and used it on one of my trucks for years. When I sold the truck, I kept the light bracket, thinking that I might put it on one of my Fits one day.

I will actually do that in the near future, but I can't use the giant, high power lights that the OP did. However, the manufacturer "Hella" makes a set of combination driving/fog lights with two bulbs, two reflectors, and two different optical glass lenses in the same housing. You can switch from long range narrow beams to flat cut-off wide fog beams from each light by flipping a switch. Called "Optilux 2020".

I will buy and install those lights on my "Light Wing" license plate light bar. The Hella lights are not nearly as powerful as the giants that the OP used, but in the twisty mountain roads around my area, the fog beams will be much more effective than the joke fog lights on the Fit, and the pencil beams of the aux. lights will probably reach out a little farther than the Fit high beams.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Banned
Part Two:

The success of the OP (denachuck) in finding a very effective and great looking solution for his fairly unique Fit lighting needs inspired me to do something similar with my Fit. But instead of having long, flat, deserted highways with large animals like deer and elk likely to dash out and destroy my car, I only have smaller deer, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, and squirrels hiding in the curves of steep, twisty, FOGGY, mountain roads. And, of course, fog on the highways that those mountain roads lead to.

I have always wanted better lighting on both of my Fits, but until now, did not want to add the truck/SUV extra lighting that I have had for 40 years until buying my first Fit. Wrecked the first Fit because of lighting issues, and don't want to to wreck the second one. So, I WILL add some exterior lighting that is normally found on off-road vehicles, and I don't care if my Fit looks like a SUV.

For anyone else who wants to increase their safety by increasing their vision in fog, snow, dust conditions, there is a light manufacturer who makes lights that connect wirelessly, and use remote controls to turn the lights on without needing to drill holes through the firewall.

The manufacturer is Warn, and they have been making winches, lights, and off-road accessories for many decades. In trying to be logical in choosing auxiliary lights that really suit my actual needs, I realized that I don't really need long range lights where I drive. The Fit isn't fast enough to need more power than the high beams provide, but it really DOES need effective fog lights with longer reach than the stock fog lights, and a better, wider, beam pattern.

So, to hold the lights, I will buy another new Carr Light Wing in the black powder coat finish. Then will use the Warn W2030F Fog Lights http://www.warn.com/truck/lights/W2030F_fog_beams.shtml
mounted on the Light Wing. I will have to drill and tap for several bolts to hold the Light Wing, but at least they will not be 1" in diameter that the light bar used by the OP needs. It appears that his light bar can only hold two lights, and the Light Wing is the same in that regard. His need is for long range lights, and mine is for close range. I think that my plan will suit my actual needs, and will justify the holes that are required in the bumper. Even if it works out that I NEVER use the added lights (very unlikely), I don't believe that they will look bad enough to make me want to remove the light bar and lights.

So, if anyone else wants either effective fog lights or long range driving lights, Warn makes them with the wireless, remote control design. You just have to decide how you want to mount them because they won't just mount on your bumper.

And I am still considering using the front bar of my Thule Roof rack as a place to mount long range driving lights (illegal here, but only if you get caught with them ON).

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-16-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Banned
^^^^^^^^^^
Part Three
:

Changed my mind. The price difference between the Unibar and the Light Wing was big, but the looks difference was even bigger. I will leave my old Light Wing in my pile of spare parts, and just bought the Unibar today from Amazon for $80.00. I have an idea for a different way to mount it without needing four 1" holes in the bumper.

I will post here again in a few months with photos and DIY details if my idea works out.

denachuck has promised in a PM to post more details on his installation, but it will take him a couple of weeks to get it done. Thanks in advance, Chuck!

Last edited by Triskelion; 09-27-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Triskelion
^^^^^^^^^^
Part Three
:

Changed my mind. The price difference between the Unibar and the Light Wing was big, but the looks difference was even bigger. I will leavy my old Light Wing in my pile of spare parts, and just bought the Unibar today from Amazon for $80.00. I have an idea for a different way to mount it without needing four 1" holes in the bumper.

I will post here again in a few months with photos and DIY details if my idea works out.

denachuck has promised in a PM to post more details on his installation, but it will take him a couple of weeks to get it done. Thanks in advance, Chuck!
Hey Chuck-

Thanks again for this thread. My Unibar arrived today, and I am amazed at the quality vs. the $80.00 Amazon price. Now I can see why you chose the large dia. bumper holes, bolting through the steel bumper cross beam, and the pipe as stand-offs. I just bought 3/4" PVC pipe and four pipe caps that will be center drilled on the front to hold the four bolts centered.

What is presently unclear in the ads for this product is the fact that it is made in Australia where rally lights are a HUGE market for all cars, trucks, and SUV's. The ads say that it fits all cars and just bolts to your license plate frame. Only true for Australians, not for Americans, which brought up the requirement for your customization.

I also see why you said "four one-inch holes through the bumper". That is going to kill a lot of forums interest. Most members here are allergic to anything slightly resembling anything of a SUV nature, and would shoot themselves through the head rather than drill huge holes through the bumper to make a permanent installation of anything. Since the o.d. of 3/4" PVC pipe nipples is 1.050", I will just tap the nipples through the soft plastic of the bumper skin, and later sealing the non-corrosive nipples into the holes should not be necessary. I will make my pipe nipple-stand offs long enough to provide about 1/2" between the front edge of the bumper and the back side of the Unibar. The Warn fog lights that I will use seem to have a wider base than the K-C lights on your bar, so I think that the extra stand-off length will be necessary for my application.

I hope that the recent damage to your Fit was repaired well by your body shop, and that your trip was easy and/or profitable. I will wait for your DIY on the forums, even though my installation may be finished by the time you get around to posting your DIY. It is very nice to see new people here with practical ideas.

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-20-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:33 PM
I liked that picture of the rally fit so much that I decided to put those lights on my car. I'm in the process of putting them on my car now! It looks pretty sweet so far!!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:09 AM

Old 09-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mbabinec
I liked that picture of the rally fit so much that I decided to put those lights on my car. I'm in the process of putting them on my car now! It looks pretty sweet so far!!
This info. may each you after you have already purchased your lights. If so, disregard.
Regarding the lights, you may be interested in several from Warn, available from Amazon and most off-road parts suppliers. They make several sizes of Fog and long range lights that operate on a remote control switch inside the car that do not need to be wired through the firewall.

I bought the Australian light bar described and photographed by the OP but have not used it yet. My need is not for long range lights, but for truly effective fog lights. I bought and installed a set of small Warn fog lights that produce a razor flat- topped beam that is 60 feet wide and light the road 90 feet in front of the car. Did not need the light bar because the fog lights fit easily inside the grille area, mounted to the upper side of the grille opening. I may still install the light bar along with long range lights, but will use the Warn remote control operated lights for that purpose as well.

The remote control switch is a transmitter, and the lights are direct-wired to the battery through a R/F receiver box mounted under the hood.

Last edited by Triskelion; 09-26-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:50 PM
These are the lights I mounted. I don't know how to post photos either so if there's a better way please let me know!
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps3a750e19.jpg
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...psac08f3e5.jpg
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps5c1908b0.jpg

Old 09-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mbabinec
These are the lights I mounted. I don't know how to post photos either so if there's a better way please let me know!
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps3a750e19.jpg
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...psac08f3e5.jpg
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps5c1908b0.jpg
Congrats! Your lights look great. Nice job! But where I drive they would be completely illegal, would blind other drivers, and would not be worth having when driving through ground-level clouds (fog) on freeways and coastal mountains. If you can use yours without generating tickets, I'm sure that they will prevent you from driving over alligators and dogs. Where I live, the plastic lens covers would just get stolen and the glass lenses would break often from the rocks in the roadways from winter mud slides.