Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

How To: Harness for Stock fit to Sony/etc Head Unit

Old 06-08-2007, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
How To: Harness for Stock fit to Sony/etc Head Unit

Note: I can do this for other people if they want me to make them their own custom harness.

More Notes:
Most harness kits have wordings on the actual wires to say what they are for. Mine were all labeled, and well documented on the new harness.

The goal of this was to remove and clean up the dash area, i'm not going to have the head unit run my speakers at all, the speakers will be run from my trunk to the doors, and I'll have the headunit connect to the amps in the trunk using RCA cables designed for this.

Step 1: get the old harness, take it apart, note the the pins, most harness kits have wordings on the actual wires to say what they are for.

Step 2: Get all your tools together
Tools:
Jewel flathead screwdrivers
Crimper (with wire strippers i hope)
18~22gauge Butt Connectors (to join the two wires)
Heatgun
New 2006+ Honda Civic wire harness
New headunit harness
Double layered heat shrink tubing (self adhesive gel in the inner layer)
wire braid
Very Berry Smoothie... (remove before working on wiring)
NOTE: never have foods or drinks around your work area... i am at my desk, and i am about to remove my drink and start to work at my desk.

Step 3: we are going to overlap each splice, and will make sure they don't over lap another to keep the cable width even across all the splices.

two etches, one for where to cut, and one for how deep it will go into the Butt connectors, test fit one at least so you know how deep it can go, my butt connectors had etches on them to say how far it can go. Each butt connector is different, so make your own as needed.

Step 4: Do the same for the other side, make sure they can be easily bundled, wish i took more photos, but alas, i forgot to.

Step 5: remove the 4 or 5 pins required by your head unit. please remember in this step to write down where your wires went, it will save you a LOT on the long run when you need to remember where they came from. To remove the wiring from the Metra kit, use the 1.0mm flat head jewel screw driver to remove, please look inside your connector to know how to do it. For pin number 5, use a 0.050 SAE Allen key wrench. Slide into the bottom of the hole to remove. (you will see it when you look into your adapter)

Step 6 & 7: Tape the tips together, you don't want to have any snags in the wire braid that will go over it. I used scotch tape, it wont be as sticky as electrical, but it is smooth enough that it wont snag. Second part, is slip on the heat shrink tubing.

Step 8 & 9 & 10
: Slide the wire braid over it and under the heat shrink tubing. Make sure to etch a cut with a razor on how far you think you will need it to go, and remove the wire braid to cut all the way through. Slip back on, heat gun one end, and let it cool, then slide on the next piece of heat shrink, and heat gun it too, till it's nice and tight. I personally used a blow torch lighter to do the job, but i did it cause i was lazy... not smart.
For the last piece on this step, put the pins back in.

Last edited by CuTeBoi; 06-08-2007 at 03:37 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
thats sweet dude.this will help alot of people out

Old 06-08-2007, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
ya ya, new photos

I got some shots of my final version, without quick release connectors for the remote/mute/antenaSignal which i will do later on, cause i think i will be adding a retractable ant to the back... not sure how, or where, but i think it will be interesting to do it.