Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

GPS Antenna type?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:49 PM
GPS Antenna type?

Hey everyone,just purchased the Alpine IVA-W205 head unit and would like to know what kind of External GPS antenna will fit this model. The connection type is not listed anywhere in the paperwork or online so would just have to be experienced with GPS Antennas to know the difference. Looks like a SMB connector to me but not really sure. Plus am not sure if the Alpine OEM GPS Antenna is Passive or not. Can not really find anything out about that product either. Looking to buy the Blackbird II so I can dock it and know am going to need this antenna so would like to install before hand so only have to go in there once. Any help would be appreciated. Going crazy trying to figure this out and place an order lol

Old 09-08-2007, 10:42 PM
The antenna comes with the Alpine BlackbirdII which you need to purchase in order to get navigation with that unit.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks Donald, had a feeling that was the case. Really wanted to get all the wiring taken care of at once but the BB II is not available anywhere yet for some reason. Think its is because they flooded the market with the original BB and trying to sell those but they are not compatible with the W205 so are of no use to me. Reason I wanted this set up is due to the fact I am a Route Driver and would like to be able to take the Navi with me but also wanted the clean look of built in Navi in my personal vehicle as well. Guess will just have to wait and tear the whole dash apart again once I get it. Thanks for getting back to me. Do you have this set up or just familiar with the install of it? Would like to know your impressions of it either way if you have first hand experience with it. More info the better and is very little info about it on the web thats for sure.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:41 AM
I've installed 1 W205 with a blackbirdII since we only received 1 of the 6 we ordered. (Long back order situation). It works very well, Only thing I don't like about it compared to the pioneer units is that he nav resolution is alot lower.