Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

anyone with components in the rear doors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 06:02 PM
anyone with components in the rear doors?

i am looking into swapping my stock door speakers for components all the way around but im not sure if drilling into the back door panels is what i want to do for the tweeters. has anyone done this or something similar? just trying to figure out the best way to go with it.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
well first off. it is a waste of money to put components in the rear because you will not be able to hear them. secondly its very simple though, you just take a drill bit(that looks like a circle and cuts circle in wood i guess) and depending on what size you tweeter is ...just drill it in.

i dont really know how to explain it. and make sure that your crossovers are safely mounted from water.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
well first off. it is a waste of money to put components in the rear because you will not be able to hear them. secondly its very simple though, you just take a drill bit(that looks like a circle and cuts circle in wood i guess) and depending on what size you tweeter is ...just drill it in.

i dont really know how to explain it. and make sure that your crossovers are safely mounted from water.
the reason i want components in the back is to get the most out of just door speakers. im really into car audio and have had full instals on all of my vehicles but i dont want subs in this one. dont want the added weight and lose of space. yes it is true that i wont be able to hear them but i typically drive with other people and the clarity is what im looking for. i also know that if i do go with components i have to drill the holes for the tweeters im just curious if anyone has done it, what they think, or if other locations were used. otherwise if people are against the idea i would also like to hear why. the money isnt all that big of a deal though and isnt really a valid point imo.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
well. if you do not want to loose space. and would like the clarity then go for it. i am all for the idea, since you stated that you usually have passengers.
personally if it was me, i would try and put the ed eu700 and then get some crossovers and install the tweeters near the door handle. i have been thinking about doing that with my stock tweeters, since i have them laying around in my room. i installed the elemental designs 6000 in my fronts and i love the way they sound. if money isn't a issue then i would definitely try and get some focal components. those speakers really do put out some bass while still keeping the clarity in sound. this is just as simple as any other car, if really money and time is not and issue then just go for it.

sorry if i may be a little vague on my opinions. its really just comes down to money and time.

ps if you do not already have an amp. i would highly recommend the ed nine 4 amp. i cant be any more satisfied with ed's products.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Don't bother with components in theback doors.

Get a good set of components for the frotn and some co-ax's for the rear.

If you want to get the most bass from just the door speakers Get a good component set for the front. I also cannot more highly reccomend a set of Focals. preferably the 165V2 components. And in the rears just throw in some alpinr typeR coaxials and dynamat both doors.

Don't worry about clarity for rear passengers It'll still sound great for the in the back. Putting tweeters up in the rear doors puts that rear tweeter ALOT closer to your ear on the drivers side than the front tweeter so all sound will seem like it's coming from behind you and to the left.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Injundon

If you want to get the most bass from just the door speakers Get a good component set for the front. I also cannot more highly reccomend a set of Focals. preferably the 165V2 components. And in the rears just throw in some alpinr typeR coaxials and dynamat both doors.

Don't worry about clarity for rear passengers It'll still sound great for the in the back. Putting tweeters up in the rear doors puts that rear tweeter ALOT closer to your ear on the drivers side than the front tweeter so all sound will seem like it's coming from behind you and to the left.
thats a good point i never thought of the tweets being that close to my ears. would it be worth moving the tweets to a different location or just scrap the idea entirely and go for the coax's? i am looking into a bunch of different speakers but i will keep the focals in mind. i try to stick to one brand when i do my audio so im trying to keep on track with that but i can always try something new. thanks for the info.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Injundon

That was my thought exactly. Also if I'm not mistaken coaxials will put out better base than a set of components and since you will not be running a sub, your better off keeping the sound balance in your car with coaxials.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
I put components in the rear doors and I love them, and yes I can hear them. I'll post pics soon. I have them kind of low. I didn't intend to put them, but due to a bad experience at Best Buy, the manager hooked me up and offered them to me in place of regular 6 1/2's. I'm pretty much running all my bass from my JL sub in the back. tweaking the treble, bass, and balance allows for awesome sound, IMHO.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by jdjohnson9
thats a good point i never thought of the tweets being that close to my ears. would it be worth moving the tweets to a different location or just scrap the idea entirely and go for the coax's? i am looking into a bunch of different speakers but i will keep the focals in mind. i try to stick to one brand when i do my audio so im trying to keep on track with that but i can always try something new. thanks for the info.
I'd highly reccomend sticking with coax's for the back and sound deadening both doors. You'll get alot more bass response with sound deadened doors, and it will be cleaner and louder. Which helps alot if your not going to run an amplifier. I say focals since they are some of the best sounding speakers in the world. They give tons of bass while remaining crystal clear and they are highly transparent in sound (meaning your ears can't pinpoint the speakers so they offer really good imaging. Cheaper speakers just sound like clearly "left" or "right" a good set of speakers should fill your whole dash with sound.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Mykflo
I put components in the rear doors and I love them, and yes I can hear them. I'll post pics soon. I have them kind of low. I didn't intend to put them, but due to a bad experience at Best Buy, the manager hooked me up and offered them to me in place of regular 6 1/2's. I'm pretty much running all my bass from my JL sub in the back. tweaking the treble, bass, and balance allows for awesome sound, IMHO.
i think im going to stick with coax's in the back but i would still love to see your pics. did you amp them or are they running off your deck?