Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

DIY Center Armrest

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:50 PM
DIY Center Armrest

I fashioned a homemade armrest for my new FIT, 2008 Sport, automatic, that fits into the center console. It is made from a piece of 2x8 wood, 1x4 wood, 1 1/2 inc PVC pipe, and 1/4 inch closed cell foam.
I am attempting to include three pictures; if that is successful I will continue with a description in a subsequent attachment. If the pictures are not successful, I'll try a detailed description.
GMflyfish

[/IMG]

Old 07-29-2008, 04:14 PM
OK - how about that, the pictures appeared. With the following description, the pictures should be self-explanatory.
For the right elbow armrest, I started with a scrap piece of 2x8 wood. Ripped that to be about 5 9/16 inch wide then shaped the bottom to fit into the rectangular bin in the center console. Note that the rectangular area does note seem to be exactly rectangular. I did LOTS of sanding, coarse paper, to make the bottom 3 inches or so fit snugly in the hole.
Then I wanted a cylindrical post sticking up from there. I traced the inside diameter of 1.5 inch PVC plumbing pipe on the upper end of the wood piece and removed wood (radial arm saw, table saw, jigsaw) to leave a square cross section protrusion. The length is not very critical. The position of the post should be close to the front of the thing. With a chisel and lots and lots of sanding I got that post rounded so the PVC pipe would fit on it snugly. Perhaps some lathe arrangement would make that step much quicker. The length of post is not critical - I had 3 3/4 inches. The height of the part that fits into the receptacle should be about 2 3/4 inch - mine was a little shorter at 2 1/2.
The PVC pipe length I ended up with was 7 inches - that can be tailored to personal preference.
I got an end cap for the 1.5 inch PVC pipe, and was fortunate to find one that was flat on top, rather than slightly convex. The end cap fits tightly, and I wanted to be able to rotate the padded portion, so I did quite a bit of sanding on the top part of the PVC pipe to reduce the diameter and allow the cap to rotate with only a minimum of force.
The plastic cap is screwed on to a piece of 1x4, and I made mine 6 inches long ( by 3 1/2). The cap is mounted near the back of the pad block , and to the side, not in the center. I used three short screws. I put a piece of 1/4 inch closed cell foam onto the wood piece (rounded corners with a jigsaw) using hot glue gun.
After trying it for a bit, I painted the thing, masking off the pad, with black spray paint.
So far I have been happy with the armrest. It is not in the way a horrible amount, and is easily removeable.
Thanks.
GMflyfish

Old 07-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Haha this is truly functionality over aesthetics. Unfortunately I'm incredibly *** and often choose aesthetics over functionality. It's a shame, I know.

Good job, though!

Old 07-30-2008, 02:24 AM
shoot us a picture of it in the car! i might try something like this.

how sturdy is it? does it move the console around?

Old 07-30-2008, 03:52 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
It's an armrest!

It's a cobbler's bench!

It's an armrest AND a cobbler's bench!!!1!!!!!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 AM
An armrest AND a cobblers bench - all in one.
What a feat.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:15 PM
I am attempting to furnish two pictures of my homemade armrest as installed in the center console. It is reasonably stable, but excessive pressure front, back or sideways will move or dislodge it. It is easily removeable by lifting it out of the rectangular hole.
So far I have found it a useful addition.
Thanks. GMflyfish

[/IMG]

Old 07-31-2008, 11:47 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Sorry if I came off as being disrespectful -- I'm not. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who's not afraid to try something on their own, and also for anyone willing to share their attempts and exploits with the rest of us.

Looks like you're moving on with upgrades and improvements. I'm getting more of an 'ironing board' vibe now...