Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

AT Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 02:38 AM
marked for interest. Although, I have to admit I was confused by the title of AT short shifter as well... and I have an AT. I've just only had MTs in the past so I was familiar with the correct terminology...

Old 10-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Retired Moderator
Im just thinking about resale, hack saw'ing my Shift knob doesnt look good to the future buyer. heh

Old 10-07-2008, 01:45 PM
I dont think that small alteration would really affect the resale value at all especially if you sell it privately, anyone would appriciate the smaller shifter.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
The only worry I how to make the little screw hole for the knob to attach to the shift pole.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by R@ymun2
I just went on the MOMO website. It's momousa.com and there is a lot of nice shift knobs that im sure will work for our AT fits. Im guessing we would just have the take the factory one off..cut it a bit shorter and throw a new one on there. When i use to be an a rx8 forum there was a fellow member that did that with his AT rx8. The cutting parts seems a bit hard but everyone usually points to the 'ol hacksaw routine.
I looked at a bunch of them on there and some of the AT looking shift knobs don't look like they come with the trigger for shifting gears

Old 10-20-2008, 05:03 PM
hmmmmmmm....

well, the best way to cut it would be with a plumber's pipe cutter; that way no dust gets all over the place and possibly down in the guts/electronics mucking it up.

then the question is what is the center 'button' material made of, and what shape is it? on old civics it's plastic, you could do a mod like this in 15 minutes.

also, how does the stock knob/button assembly attach to the shaft, if the actual shaft is threaded/tapped that's a whole 'nother ball of wax and probably not worth it.

i'd be willing to go take a look later today, figure out if it's safe/do-able.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
^^^^let us know what you find out matt

Old 10-20-2008, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CTmatt
also, how does the stock knob/button assembly attach to the shaft, if the actual shaft is threaded/tapped that's a whole 'nother ball of wax and probably not worth it.
Its attached with two short philips headed screws that go in from the front.

This whole thing is definitely possible, how it ends up just relies on how much work the user wants to do. Personally, I would cut the inner rod, outer shaft, and then use a Die to thread the outside of the shaft. from there I would machine a topless knob out of aluminum or delrin with the center hole tapped for the shaft. Then I would make a little top hat sorta thing for the knob so you push down on that to move the rod down. Screw the knob down on the shaft and you are good to go.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:30 PM
very intrested.............that would be nice and look nice

Old 10-20-2008, 11:35 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i made my mt shift lever shorter so it looks like the mr2 or any bmw shift lever. if fitftw would be willing to tear his apart i could figure out a way to fab one up for you guys.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
wow there is a lotta talk about this. I remember i did this on my old turbo'd AT civic. I just took the outer and inner shaft and both cut them 1.5" off proportionally so basically i had the same design but it sat lower. I then stuck on an aftermarket shifter that u would push down to engage the button.. but it looked like a MT shifter. It looked really good. Maybe i'll bite the bullet and do the mod and writeup on it. I wonder how many people would read it tho lol.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:59 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
wow there is a lotta talk about this. I remember i did this on my old turbo'd AT civic. I just took the outer and inner shaft and both cut them 1.5" off proportionally so basically i had the same design but it sat lower. I then stuck on an aftermarket shifter that u would push down to engage the button.. but it looked like a MT shifter. It looked really good. Maybe i'll bite the bullet and do the mod and writeup on it. I wonder how many people would read it tho lol.
do it. i could do it and then put the spoon auto shift knob on it to make it look higher class.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member
probably lots just juding from the # of posts in this thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:04 AM
i did the same exact thing, added a shift boot too. it was actually a bit of a theft deterrent too, so no 12 year olds would break in, they thought it was a stick.

i think the shaft of the Fit AT shifter is threaded, like sterVin said, that makes it a lot harder than those civics. but def put m down for interested. if no one gets to it by saturday i'll take it apart.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
The shaft isn't threaded, there are two little screws that keep the stock shift knob on. Next time you are in D or S look at the front face of the knob (closest to the cup holders) and you will see two Phillips headed screws.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:58 AM
I think this would just give us the AT guys such a cleaner look on the inside of the car, like i said b4 i wanted to try this on my rx-8 but never got around to doing it..but i did do it on my integra and it gave it such a nicer look. Even if it was like 1.5" shorter i know it would look cleaner with a nice new shifter. And i've read before that they make the ones where you push down to engage the shift like KoolKevin said.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
The thing that bugs me the most about the AT shift is how high the damn thing is haha

Old 10-21-2008, 04:20 PM
short shifter= a shifter that is shorter than stock.

short throw shifter=a shifter that provides a shorter throw than the factory.

Hating on a AT fit is like racing retards. Even if you win, you're still a douche. It's a fit. Regardless of MT or AT, it's a 5 door econobox with a 1.5L single cam motor that makes less power than 1000cc motorcycle motors. Shoot. It makes less power than Honda's 600cc sportbikes. So if you're so 'elite' that you need to hate on auto trans owners, you've got an inferiority complex and maturity issues.

That kind of bull doesn't happen on forums for real sports cars......e46 m3's, 350z's, S2ks (automatic vs. manual doesn't apply there, but the hating comment), corvettes, etc.

back to topic: I'd also like to see it shorter, but without having to cut it or go to some ugly aftermarket. I'm not a big fan of Momo's products. Hell, I'd like a JDM shifter that has Jazz written on it instead of Fit.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
^^^ agreed. dont forget about the new evo mr, skyline gtr, and even the vw r32. im sure the list could go on.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:26 PM
tagged just cause i would love to see how it will be done and possibly do it myself ;DD

Quick Reply: AT Short Shifter