Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

AVN 4430 install w/ glassed rear corner subs

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Gene03
how much? it cost u?
altogether, about 1400 for equipment (already had the amp). then maybe 200 more for materials and I spent maybe 30 +/- 5 hrs on the thing.

lets do the break down.

AVN4430 $699
SS Stealth-13 sub x2 $278
Kenwood kfc1682IE x 2 $98
4 guage amp kit $39
RF 1 Farad Cap $99
Dynomat Extreeme 4cu/ft x2 $78
Metra Dash kit (ebay) $77

all that rings up to $1368

plus I bought 2 1/2 gal of fiber glass resin, 4 bags of glass mat, 2 bags of weave, 1 can of glass impregnated filler, sanding paper, blocks, lots of gloves, tape and tin foil, a jig saw, 3 half cut boards of .75 in mdf, falpper sanders, almost killed my Makita, some cutting and some sanding bits for the dremel, a can of "hammered" finish spray paint, a can of rubberized under coating, some 3M "hook and loop" velcro, cause it sticks like no ones business, some bolts, washers, and wing nuts, I gave myself a sinus infection from not using a respirator, plus a lot of back ache and a sun burn.

So overall, i'm satisfied with the results, but it cost too much, even though I'm not strictly talking about money.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:04 AM
Update...

In July I drove from Florida to Spokane WA with stops in Boone, N.C., St louis, MO, and Estes Park, CO. It took my wife and I 5 days for the initial drive, we packed the Fit up with two large rolling duffel bags, two sets of sleeping bags, a tent, a 25 gallon cooler, a small dog kennel, some back packs and some loose camping gear. The lack of space made the subs soud a little muffled since there was all that gear between them and my ears. The subs are tough though, the cone is made of aluminum and nothing left any wear marks on the subwoofers or the enclosures. i was worried about the amp heating up since stuff was on top of it but there was no problem there either.

We unloaded the car when we got to Spokane and the subs sounded great again, i was actually worried that something got messed up on the trip, but the good sound returned when there was free room in front of the subs.

We then took off after two weeks home with family and went straight south this time, straight to San Diego, CA. We stayed there for two nights. and went to Vegas.

I recomend to everyone here to try and see the Hoover Dam. It was amazing to see what those men had accomplished so many years ago.

We finished the trip by driving straight home from Las Vegas. It was aproximately 34 hours that we were on the road, we left everything in the car took some showers and rested for two days after that.

The only gripe I had was the AVN 4430 was dificult to see in direct light. This was mostly due to the way that the dash curves up towards the drivers sight line. I only bought it because the navigation features were the most important thing to me. I wasn't sure how it would operate but i took a chance on the name brand and it came through and worked out pretty good.

I prefer the sound shaping features that Alpine head unit's provide, but ultimately Alpine Navigation sucks so I went with the TOM TOM Eclipse, I thought about the Kenwoods alot since they use Garmin navigation. I could not beat the price I paid at the time for awesome functionality with some really cool features.

I particularly like the USB feature, i loaded a 4gb usb drive with a whole bunch of albums, and was able to sort by album, artist, song name, and genre.

basically it works really well, and DVD playback is very nice also.

It's just hard to get to some menu's due to the lack of buttons (which give it a clean appearance) and the lack of a remote makes dvd control a little dificult using touch screen.

I'd recomend it for navigational functional dependants, but might spring for more money if you want something prettier.