Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Sub & Amp Rack: VIP

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
Sub & Amp Rack: VIP

I decided to redo my car audio to more match the kind of stuff I build in home audio. The problem with my old system is I didn't effectively use the space I had, I used horizontal space instead of vertical. I'm really happy with the result. More pictures and info on my website.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 05-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Well done sir!

A few newb questions, if you'll indulge me:

How much different does Plywood sound vs MDF?

Does poly-fill do the same thing in ported enclosures as it does in sealed (make's it sound 'larger', lowers cut-off freq)? Does it not reduce/restrict airflow in and out of the port?

When making that lovely vented brace, why not round the edges of the holes a bit to smooth out the airflow? Is this step simply not worth it?

Thanks, and Enjoy your Bass!

edit:

one more thing: why the second fuse on the amplifier mounting board?

Last edited by bikethis; 05-09-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: ask another question
Old 05-09-2010, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Plywood does sound different than mdf. I'm a home audio guy and use almost solely use 3/4" baltic birch.

Poly-fill does work similarly, Ideally I would line the walls with felt (more of a full range application) but I added poly-fill along that angled side. There is no poly-fill elsewhere in the enclosure, so nothing near the beginning of the port. During my design I try to account for the amount of space that braces and vent pieces take up. Obviously its difficult to to into account how much a holely braces takes up so I often just add a tiny bit of volume and some poly-fill and call it a day.

I could round-over all of the holes, but I guess I just assume it won't make that big of a difference and don't want to spend the time. To be honest, I've never done it so I guess I shouldn't say that it won't make much difference. And I spend so much time doing woodwork it really shouldn't be that much time.

I actually wasn't expecting as much air moving out of the port. In my previous enclosure there wasn't this much, but also each woofer had its own port about that size.

When designing bass reflex, obviously everyones concern is to not get port turbulence, but I believe that the next most important thing is pushing the port resonance as high as possible. For that reason my ports typically have a smaller cross-sectional area and are of a high aspect ratio (I don't buy ports, only use wood).

I've never seen a car sub finished in anything other than paint or carpet, so I wanted to try a little poly on birch. Many home audio guys will even build with baltic birch and spend the time to paint on top and even more diyers will veneer over baltic birch. Its a far superior material to use, but unfortunately costs quite a bit more.

Josh

Old 05-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the info!

I'll have to throw some polyfil in my enclosure and check it out.

My slot-port opens to the inside about 4 inches up the back of the box, so if I lay it down an inch or two at the bottom, it shouldn't impede.

I like the look of the