Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

GDs! (and maybe GEs too)... I found a major source of vibration!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:58 AM
5 Year Member
GDs! (and maybe GEs too)... I found a major source of vibration!

open your doors... Look at where the door trim meets the door frame... What do you see?.... PLASTIC TO METAL! Dude... there were parts on my door frame that had hardcore wear marks from the door trim vibrating over it. I stuck some paper napkins between the trouble areas and voila a bunch of vibrations disappeared and way cleaner bass as well! We need to find a way to completely seal and dampen the frame with the trim. What should we use? I'm thinking either thin strips of dynamat or something similar all the way around the door OR a liquid type solution that could be applied (like maybe with a caulking gun) all the way around... Any ideas or solutions? I'm thinking about a run to home depot and employing a hack job! Sigh... here comes MOAR WEIGHT! but anything for SQ!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:36 AM
Ohhhh yeahhhhhhh

Old 06-17-2010, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
Not sure if this is the door points you mentioned, but this guy did this:
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/wind.htm

I used this product from Home Depot:
Thermwell 3/8 In. x 5/16 In. x 10 Ft. Black High Density Rubber Foam Weatherstrip - R538H at The Home Depot

I also tried the 3/4" one. Just gotta use the one that'll allow you to close the door w/o having to slam it.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by raton
Not sure if this is the door points you mentioned, but this guy did this:
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/wind.htm

I used this product from Home Depot:
Thermwell 3/8 In. x 5/16 In. x 10 Ft. Black High Density Rubber Foam Weatherstrip - R538H at The Home Depot

I also tried the 3/4" one. Just gotta use the one that'll allow you to close the door w/o having to slam it.

This is what I would recommend as well. In my dealership days we used a product like this to sort out door rattles.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
HA HA, that's so funny!

I just picked up something similar for a rattle on the driver's side door. I, however, am mostly using it to line the inside of the plastic peice that comes off of the arm rest (the one that hides the wires for the auto locks and windows).

I am going to put it back on today and test it out. I heard a lot of vibrations coming from there when the bass got heavy. Also, I put a lot of dynamat on the hatch door, but there's still some minor vibrations coming from where the trim hits against the metal.

I think it's coming from the top part of the trim, where it is closest to the bottom of the rear window, but I will try and use some of that weatherstripping stuff around the edge and see if that sorts it out.

accordguyintake, try and take pics of where you put that stuff in and if it helps at all.

- Jay

Old 06-17-2010, 08:37 PM
plastic to metal rattle

I don't remember where I saw it, but I know at least one person has had luck using the soft part of adhesive Velcro between the two. I'm fairly sure you can buy just the soft side from McMaster Carr. Just my 2cent.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I was thinking about the other side of the velcro too. I used a few strips of it on my Seibon CF hood to just give it some cushion between the new hood the body of the car.

Cat :x

Old 06-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
open your doors... Look at where the door trim meets the door frame... What do you see?.... PLASTIC TO METAL! Dude... there were parts on my door frame that had hardcore wear marks from the door trim vibrating over it. I stuck some paper napkins between the trouble areas and voila a bunch of vibrations disappeared and way cleaner bass as well! We need to find a way to completely seal and dampen the frame with the trim. What should we use? I'm thinking either thin strips of dynamat or something similar all the way around the door OR a liquid type solution that could be applied (like maybe with a caulking gun) all the way around... Any ideas or solutions? I'm thinking about a run to home depot and employing a hack job! Sigh... here comes MOAR WEIGHT! but anything for SQ!
pics when done pls =D

Old 06-20-2010, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Name:  IMG_0311.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  146.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0313.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  114.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0312.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  143.5 KB

to those of you that have opened your door trims off a millions times (like me)... some of the clips will not close with the added thickness but still, i can live with that. The bass now is MUCH cleaner and vibrations didn't disappear but they are about 80% decreased! Was it worth 7 dollars and an hours time? HELL YEA! you'll need 2 sets or 20ft of that foam tape, its JUST enough for two doors, 20 feet probably if you wanted to do the rear doors as well.

I'd also recommend screwing your speakers into the door with self-tapping screws. Just in case those bass-heavy notes want to move your speakers around. Overall i'm pretty happy!

Steps!

1. Remove door panel and get it out of the way (SPORT MODEL GD FITS, BECAREFUL OF TWEETER WIRE!)

2. Apply foam tape around the speaker to ensure a good seal between the panel

3. Apply foam all along the door where the panel meets the door frame

4. Also do a strip along the top where the window is (you'll see it)

5. with the remainder, add some anywhere you think it might vibrate, if you're REALLY anal about vibrations, just pick up extra foam and go crazy!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Nice. I will have to try that out. When I change out the stock speakers, I'll be sure to have some of that handy!