Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Sound Ordnance B-8PT compact powered sub

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Sound Ordnance B-8PT compact powered sub

Recently released from what appears to be a Crutchfield house brand, the B-8PT looked like it would be a perfect "fit" for the Fit. 120w RMS, 8" flat driver, just 3 1/4" deep, 3yr warranty, and reviews that are surprisingly good.

Link:
Sound Ordnance™ B-8PT 120-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

So I figured I'd take a chance on it, as it should be perfectly sized to mount above the passenger side rear wheel well in my 2009 GE8.

It arrived today, and what do you know? It wedges in there like it's meant to be. The sub doesn't have provisions for mounting like this, so I'll be experimenting with brackets after I've made sure I'm satisfied with the sub. It seems well-built. I ran a power cable for it tonight- rca's and signal wire will have to wait at least until tomorrow. I'll update with impressions when I get the time to finish the install.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79244429@N00/4952874919/http://www.flickr.com/photos/79244429@N00/4952874919/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/79244429@N00/, on Flickr

Old 09-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Will be watching this, that sub seems like a really good deal. Let us know how it performs. Also what other audio mods, if any, have you done to your Fit?

Old 09-03-2010, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Werd I've been waiting for something like this to come out !!!!!! If u are cometely satisfied with it I'm goi to hop on this with interior speakers as well!!! Already got the head unit so it will complete my setup!!!! GL with I stall and keep us posted

Old 09-03-2010, 03:05 PM
I have no mods done to the car except for a 4-tone horn (really, 4 separate metal horns of quite some size...mounting/wiring them was fun!) from a late 70's Cadillac Fleetwood.

The head unit will be either a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 (installed earlier this week and not 100% happy with it) or a Pioneer FH-P8000BT (waiting for me at home thanks to UPS) that will be installed tonight. If the Pioneer has no issues pairing with and controlling my iPhone 4, I'll probably return the Kenwood. Speakers are stock.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Installed the Pioneer FH-P8000BT last night, an I KNEW I should have gone with my gut and bought that head unit in the first place. It looks like a million bucks in the dash, Bluetooth works amazingly, sounds subjectively better than the Kenwood. The display is very, very bright and doesn't wash out in bright light like the Kenwood does.

As far as the sub goes- all wires are now properly run to the cargo area, but it was quite late last night when I finished, and I had to work this morning at 5am- so I'll hook up the sub and give it its first test today. I'm taking a road trip into and around New York state this weekend, so I should have plenty of listening time (assuming it doesn't start on fire and works properly when everything is connected).

Old 09-04-2010, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Werd !! I'm waiting on ur review to see if I purchase this myself !!!! Cant wait to read what u think !!!! Hurry lol !!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Haha, I've been holding off for a bit until I have some more time to do some listening. The Fit has become my wife's daily driver). At first, I put on some old favorites- Beastie Boys "Hello Nasty", for one- and was disappointed at the lack of low notes. What am I thinking? It's a tiny sealed 8" sub- of course it's not going to hit the low stuff.

And it doesn't. Does that mean I'm not going to keep it? No, I probably will. It rounds out the bottom end decently, and frees up the internal amp on the head unit to deal with only higher frequencies. It can definitely kick out some decent bass for its size, though I will say one thing- I wish the 80-200hz low pass crossover went down to 60hz. I have it crossed over at 63hz with the settings of the Pioneer FH-P8000BT, and at 80hz (lowest setting of the sub, un-crossed-over on the head unit) it was noticeably boomy for my tastes.

You just have to keep in mind that this thing is TINY for a sub. It's going to round out the bass and add a little kick. I'm not sure I'd recommend it with the stock head unit, but it might be fine.

I'll try to follow up on this later. I've listened to everything from Counting Crows to Black Eyed Peas to Crystal Method to A Tribe Called Quest to Dream Theater on it...it all sounds pretty good, which I guess for a minimum of tuning is not bad for a $199 8" powered sub. With Crutchfield's liberal return policy, it's probably worth giving it a shot if you're not looking for HUGE bass and are willing to give up the time/effort of wiring the car for the opportunity to give it a shot, then go for it.
I'll be keeping mine and ultimately figuring out how to mount it where the picture shows (it's laying flat on the floor right now).

Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Another note: I haven't wired up the remote level control that comes with the sub.....because I forgot when I had the carpet pulled up for the RCA's and remote turn-on lead. It would come in handy for the differences in the types of music that I end up listening to...some needs more, some needs less, but i have it at a sort of happy medium level that works for most. I'm happy with the low pass at 63hz (high pass on the stock speakers also at 63hz). It sounds SO much better than stock with the head unit + sub. I won't be upgrading the speakers anytime soon. I'm happy with the end result.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Well honestly I want enough boom for me to feel it inside u know ! I don't really need it to shake the whole block like that ! And plus I have a family now and don't want to lose my trunk space at all to a damn box with a speaker In It lol ! But idk !! From 1-10 what would u say it hits ? I have a pioneer double din too so I know I can mess with it and if I get this then I would upgrade my door speakers too so I'm sure it shouldn't be bad ! But I'm not sure what I wanna do! I def don't wanna hAve a whole bunch of wires to mess with ! I need my car to be 100 % practical in use and all just enough bass to feel inside !! U get me ? Lol I must sound like a nut !!! Sorry

Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I understand where you're coming from, and as far as sheet output goes....probably a 3. You won't be satisfied if you're used to even a standalone amp and decent 8-10" sub in a good box, unless you readjust your expectations. I need/want the car to be 100% practical as well, which is why I'm going to stick with it.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mynameisphunk
I understand where you're coming from, and as far as sheet output goes....probably a 3. You won't be satisfied if you're used to even a standalone amp and decent 8-10" sub in a good box, unless you readjust your expectations. I need/want the car to be 100% practical as well, which is why I'm going to stick with it.
Damn to bad we font live close to eachother for me to here !!! I wish I can actually here it at a Store or something

Old 09-08-2010, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mynameisphunk
Damn to bad we font live close to eachother for me to here !!! I wish I can actually here it at a Store or something

Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 PM
subscribed