Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

wanting to remove my tints?

Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
wanting to remove my tints?

My fit came tinted already when i bought it used.. just the five back windows and the little corner panels in the front were done. I want to remove them because i like the fish bowl look better

Anyone else get theirs removed? If so, did you do it yourself? OR get it done at a shop?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 AM
You can remove it, however, a fresh install is difficult enough let alone one that's been on there a while. Lots of scraping and then solvents to cut the glue left behind. Don't forget to cover all the places where bits of tint and solvent might get. Last time I went to a body shop and paid to get tint removed.

Not really as difficult as it is a major PIA.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:42 AM
yeah, it's going to be a pain. park it out in the sun for a while, let it get warm, and then start peeling in a corner. it will break though, a lot. have some razorblades handy. plus if you have some, or can get some, use pure ammonia to clean the glue off with. i've used it a few times on old tint, and it's the best thing i've used to remove the glue. it will stink, but it will work. really need a razor bladed scraper too when you clean it.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Get several large plastic bags(hefty works well as they are nice and thick) and several bottles of original blue Windex. Don't get any of the other kinds, as they don't work quite as well, and two rolls of paper towels.

Spray the tinted window heavily with windex and immediately cover with the black plastic bags. Let sit in the sun for at least 20 minutes with all the doors shut. The longer you let it sit, the faster the glue breaks down. Start from the corner and peel off the tint. You'll have glue residue, so spray it down with more windex and remove it with paper towels.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:27 PM
I did mine! I am a fan of the fishbowl look.

It really wasn't that hard. The method I used was a clothes steamer (the kind for steaming handing clothes.) We happened to have one (my wife is a seamstress). I think they are like $20-$30. Search Youtube...there was a good one of a guy using a steamer.

Just fill it with water, let it heat up, then steam the inside part of the window, with the tint. Once it is good and hot, try to start at a corner and peel it up. Steam and peel at the same time. Take it SLOW. The slower you go the more likely you are to take the adhesive off on the tint, and not leave it on the window. The best part is that you are only using hot water, so if some drips down, it is just water!

Precaution: Steam is HOT! My fingers got a little steam-scorched a few times from touching the tint when it was really hot.

Good Luck!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 PM
YouTube - DIY: How to remove window tint

Here is the video I used....I used a different steamer, but any kind will work!