Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

XM Satellite Tuner Install...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
XM Satellite Tuner Install...

I recently procured a Pioneer HU (AVH-P3400BH) from Crutchfield for my 2011 Fit Sport non-Navi. I also bought the dedicated XM tuner that connects to the radio. I will say, I didn't realize how large the tuner is.

I don't need any help really with the installation of the headunit; there's plenty of documentation here and elsewhere about that. The only thing regarding my installation, which I plan to do tonight, that is under-addressed on this forum is the installation of the tuner.

A few questions for people to whom this is applicable:

1. I know the XM antenna needs to be 3+ inches away from the radio antenna. Is it possible to put it directly behind the FM antenna, or would the mechanics of the hatch prohibit that? I was hoping someone here might have experience in that regard.

2. Where did you install your tuner? I've heard under the front seat, in the glove box, even mounted to plywood in the spare tire well. Just wondering the pros and cons of each.

3. How did you run the wiring to/from the tuner/headunit? I obviously don't want the wires to be exposed, but I'm not interested in taking out seats or door panels to run wiring. I'd prefer to run it under the carpet; just looking for the best way to make that happen. Obviously the answer here depends on #1 and #2.

I'd appreciate any input on this.