Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

GROM audio USB/IPOD adapter in my Jazz.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 04:42 AM
GROM audio USB/IPOD adapter in my Jazz.

Ok, now that I have installed the GROM audio adapter, I'll give you my feed back.
Just for identification porpose, here's my audio. The GROM audio USB/IPOD adapter usage depend on your audio, since you're using its control. In my case, the only aparent change is the small mike I added behind the steering wheel.
Here's the GROM audio box. I managed to find a perfect place for it on the right side behind the main front panel, just below the right vent. As you can see, there's a usb port and to ext port where you plug the option you choose. In my case, I just added a bluetooth kit, as I already have a AUX 3.5mm jack in my Jazz. I simply used a USB extention cable if I want to use a HDD or any usb mass storage.
Here's the back of my audio unit. You have to plug the 'y' Honda GROM cable in the white port. If you have some option already plugged in that port, simply plug it in the 'Y' plug of the cable, I suppose you won't loose the usage of whatever it is.
Now for the GROM usage.
Note the bluetooth cable must be plugged in EXT1 to operate.
First bluetooth phone. It's rather straitforward. My Android phone detected the GROM audio and connected easily. Same for my wife's old samsung mobile. When receiving a call simply press next track on the steering wheel control to answer. To make a call, use your phone to dial. May be it could be possible to use a voiced controled phone, but I don't use such device.
Now for the audio files. Once you have plugged in the GROM audio adaptor, you can select on the radio unit a new entry for audio : CDC. A faked one in fact. It's the GROM audio. The GROM audio has different mode that you select using the next track control. This is not so easy. You have to switch to FM then back to CDC and within a few seconds you can cycle between GROM mode : USB/IPOD/Bluetooth. A female voice announce the selected mode. Just wait for the voice before pressing again on next track. The voice isn't so clear for my french ear, but I guess that native english or american can understand easily.
As my Audio unit isn't able to display CD track name, it is hopeless to use a large massive storage and be able to select a track from folders. But if you just want to have the playlist played, it's cool.
I don't have an iPod, sorry.
The bluetooth works perfectly, booth my Android Phone and my wife's Samsung can be used as audio file source, so on my android phone I can use any music App to browse my files. I guess most Android devices must work, and I aim to get some Android tablet from Archos do to the work. I'd like my kid's to do their DJ's game from the back seat without bothering me while I'm driving. I haven't tried the GROM App to control the tracks form the steering wheel. Next time...
I bought a second GROM adaptor I intend to install in my Subaru, but that's not the place to talk about it.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Just tried the AALinQ app for Android. It enables the Grom Audio to control your phone music from steering wheel controls. But it only works with the phone plugged via USB, not bluetooth. Also the AALinQ app uses playlist, so you can't expect to really browse your music library, only to skip some song in the list. Basically, it's better to use bluetooth and whatever music app you like with your phone control.

I also discovered that I can trigger the voice recognition of the phone from the audio control, but I never really used this with android so my phone isn't good at understanding what I say... May be I should train it