Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Is it possible to install a switch that turns off passenger airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Is it possible to install a switch that turns off passenger airbag?

Okay so why do I want this.

Well I noticed that sometimes when my dog sits in the front the airbag is on and other times it is off. I want to install a switch so I can turn off the sensors and airbag when my dog is in the front. When he's out and someone else gets in I would then like to turn it on. I don't want an airbag to deploy when my Frenchie is in the front seat. Any suggestions and how hard would you think this would be to do.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Just the buckle in. if you disable the airbag via diy methods and an accident happens, insurance companies might not cover your car claiming it has been altered from what they have on record

Old 08-28-2013, 05:13 PM
How heavy is your dog?

There are actually three weight ranges that the seat sensor works from. If there is little or no weight on the seat, the airbag is off but the "airbag off" light does not light up. This presumably is to avoid the annoyance of having it illuminated when you're all alone in the car. If there's a little more weight, the airbag is off and the light comes on. If there's enough weight to use the airbag, it's on and the light is off.

Your dog is clearly pretty close in weight to one of the two transition points, since the light is sometimes on and sometimes off. If it's the lower one, which I would guess is the case, you don't have anything to worry about.

The weights for these transitions are listed in the owner's manual somewhere. I don't remember the exact values off the top of my head.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 PM
I usually find that 2 12 packs suffice. Since I'm too lazy to open the back door.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by DrewE
How heavy is your dog?

There are actually three weight ranges that the seat sensor works from. If there is little or no weight on the seat, the airbag is off but the "airbag off" light does not light up. This presumably is to avoid the annoyance of having it illuminated when you're all alone in the car. If there's a little more weight, the airbag is off and the light comes on. If there's enough weight to use the airbag, it's on and the light is off.

Your dog is clearly pretty close in weight to one of the two transition points, since the light is sometimes on and sometimes off. If it's the lower one, which I would guess is the case, you don't have anything to worry about.

The weights for these transitions are listed in the owner's manual somewhere. I don't remember the exact values off the top of my head.
this.

if the light is off, he may be light enuff that the car thinks there is nobody in the seat - the bag won't deploy.

also, the OPDS harness is more than just one wire to splice into. the OPDS has 4 harnesses that plug into it. You're going to need factory diagrams to figure out which to switch.

also, if your car doesn't detect the OPDS because you put a kill switch - you may throw a code that the dealer will have to reset and then recalibrate the OPDS. (I did this recently with a seat install).

if you're that worried, fold the rear seats down, put down some blankets, and have the dog in the back.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator
Why dont u get those seatbelt buckles that trick the computer to thinking that u have the seatbelt plugged in

Old 07-07-2014, 09:51 PM
I found this on eBay, gonna give it a try .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221430124916

Old 07-08-2014, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
Why dont u get those seatbelt buckles that trick the computer to thinking that u have the seatbelt plugged in

How would this help keep the passenger airbag from deploying?

Old 07-11-2014, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
can't you unplug the sensor from underneath the seat?

Old 07-11-2014, 06:31 PM
My ex-wife would sometimes lean in such a manner that it would cause the airbag off light to illuminate. The thought crossed my mind of swerving into the nearest tree, streetlight pole, or on-coming traffic but I couldn't because I loved my Fit more than I hated her.
What about putting something flat and covers the seat but doesn't sit on the seat (if that makes sense, if not, from one side to the other and over the cushion part of the seat) so that your dog never puts enough weight on the sensor to activate the airbag?