Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

65 Mph Deer Collision. MarioKart gone wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 06:46 PM
Smile 65 Mph Deer Collision. MarioKart gone wrong?

Welp. It happened. For background I drive a 2007 GD3 Sport Auto with about 135K. I was driving on Highway 72 back to College (In Northern Alabama) at night with no other cars around me, (could only see what was in front of my headlights) listening to a podcast where they discussed why you need life insurance, and suddenly I see a deer around 25ish feet in front of me. Thankfully since I had been paying full attention, I swerved to miss it and tried to slow down slightly with what little reaction time I had, and almost heaved a sign of relief. Until I suddenly heard a loud thud on the passenger side of the front. Not thinking it would be that bad, I seriously debated continuing driving, but fortunately the clearer side of my head prevailed, and I pulled over not even a quarter mile from where it had happened at the nearest roadside parking lot. I got out and was shocked to see that pretty much the entire passengers side of the front headlight area was pretty much just gone. I noticed that one of the reservoirs was leaking and turned the car off immediately. I called 911, my parents, and got a very nice state trooper out there to help me file a report. Next thing I know, a wrecker halls it off to the nearest body shop that a cousin of mine happens to work at. Thank God for Insurance. They will cover everything, and it's comprehensive so it's not my fault. I've always been a bit of a careful driver, having never even gotten a ticket which even impressed the state trooper Lol. Considering the circumstances, the Fit definitely did it's job and held up exceedingly well considering the circumstances. If I had not avoided the one I had already seen, it would have been a solid head on collision with a pretty sizable deer (possibly with Antlers) on the drivers side, and I may not be writing this post right now haha. The airbags did not go off, which I'm kind of glad of but also mildly concerned about at the same time haha😂. So far without them opening it up, it's at around $2700 worth of damage. The car is currently worth about $4000 according to Insurance. Is it totaled? Not yet, but it might end up being so. They're going to take it apart Monday under the assumption that they are just going to fix it, but if they find anything else adding $800 to the cost, they're just going to total it. It's been/is a tremendous first car, and as a college student who drives places a lot and has accumulated over 30,000 miles on it, I cannot recommend these things enough for overall practicality. Has this ever happened to you guys? How have your Fits held up in accidents? Let me know down below and I'll try and keep this thread updated when I find out if it's totaled or not.

A sharp edge of the wheel-well was bent onto the tire. How it didn't blow out and send me into the ditch is beyond me.

Mirror was still there, just a bit shattered lol.

It's like a bad game of Mariokart, only if the shell was a several hundred pound mammal.

Very lucky it didn't crack the windshield or windows at all, have no clue how that didn't happen.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Glad you are ok, deer can really mess a car up and cause lots of damage. I hit a deer (young buck) in the same spot. He jumped off a ridge, hit my headlight spun and ended up hitting every panel on the passenger side of the car. I think total cost was like $3600. Insurance paid for everything, then 6 mothes later a drunk driver hit me running a red light and the car was totaled :-/ Good luck with everything though!!

Old 02-03-2019, 07:09 PM
Glad you are ok dude.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Wow lucked out side! I can see some for on your panels.

I was on a motorcycle ride with my buddies and was behind the lead rider. I was staggered to his right when a deer comes out of nowhere. It hits him on the rear spring mount, rears up and runs past him. Surprisingly it didn't knock him down and he kept the bike upright. We stopped as soon as we could. The 3rd rider who was directly behind the lead rider had fur and blood splatter on his windscreen. We all couldn't believe how lucky he was.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
same thing happened to me

Same thing for me, cruising at 70 with no traffic, rural western Virginia in wee hours, when suddenly brown fur appears arms-length out front at 2 o'clock. Boom.

I had similar damage, but given mine is a 2018 with Hondasensing, the total was $6500. Fortunately I kept a $200 deductible on comprehensive (which covers animal strikes) because I know how costly a pebble hitting a Fit windshield can be.

The airbags deploy only if there is significant deceleration confirmed for the whole vehicle. The FIt has significantly more mass than even the largest deer, so a collision would not result in a sudden deceleration sufficient to trigger the airbag. (It's the animal, with its lesser mass, that does the accelerating).

Old 06-29-2020, 07:51 PM
Ouch sorry to hear. Glad your okay.