Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

pls help me out guys...axle popped out!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 01:12 AM
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
Originally Posted by TFB Designs
Does anyone have a how to with pictures for doing the front springs? A step by step for how to change the front springs without popping out the axle would be awesome.
Anyone? I'm sure many other Fit owners would be grateful for a how to install the front springs without popping out the axle thread. A few pictures and a step by step and you are the man!

Old 10-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by TFB Designs
Anyone? I'm sure many other Fit owners would be grateful for a how to install the front springs without popping out the axle thread. A few pictures and a step by step and you are the man!
bump.........

Old 10-17-2008, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
check this website hondafittuner.com go to were it says hondafittuner forum and look for suspension..they have a how to install springs in there and they talked about the axle thing.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:44 PM
This is probably the same thread rvall004 was suggesting:

Updated tutorial on installing lowering springs

This post has pictures for how to avoid the axle popping out. I also found this one:

How To: Install Skunk2 Lowering Springs for Honda Fit

The steps are spelled out clearly here but not so many pictures. So I ordered lowering springs. Hopefully following these posts will keep the axle from popping out.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
same thing happened to me yesterday!! i didnt read up on the forums before i did it =X.. didnt have internet access but anyway did anyone have serious problems doing this?? anyone willing to guide me through it on the phone this afternoon!?

Old 11-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Installed Skunk2 Lowering springs today and used this DIY as a guide:

Updated tutorial on installing lowering springs

Everything went very smoothly. I was worried about the axle popping out because of all the posts about it but I didn't have any issues. The DIY is great, if you follow it carefully you shouldn't have any problems. Overall I would say it's pretty easy, the rear is simple and the front just takes a little patience. Thanks to everyone who posted and kept me from having a bad day!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member
i just installed skunk2 pro-c coilovers today... i was terrified about my axles popping out because it mooves so loosely..

but if you take time and be patient and use the right tools to support the jack from dangling down or side by side.. then i think you will be fine

Old 11-01-2019, 12:15 AM
Thx so much for all the useful info here.

I had the same issue.....Inner driver CV joint pulled out while replacing struts.
Ultimately was able to get it back in, but it was a real PITA. Here' my experience:

I tried to turn and push it in w/ the boot on, but it would only go in part way (if your solo, put it in neutral for a manual, get under the car and rotate the inner cup right next to the tranny by hand until, you can push the axle in half way, but it probably wont go further.

After a half hour of not getting it to go beyond half in, I finally ended up cutting off the CV boot from the transmission to really see what was going on. Be careful doing this, have a clean surface underneath, as the bearings are liable to fall off their axle rods on the axle, and grit must absolutely be kept off of them.

Even w/ the boot pulled back, I tried several times to get it beyond the half-in point, it seems that the bearings tend to misalign off their axles, preventing further insertion. It eventually just went in. The steering was straight forward and the control arm jacked up to having the axle parallel to the drive when it finally did, but it did take several tries....patience.

There are suggestions if you have an assistant to have both wheels jacked up and rotate the opposite wheel while trying to reengage, but make sure you have the tranny in a gear, as in neutral, the rotation will not translate across it in neutral.

Bottom line to prevent this in the first place when replacing struts is to make sure the top of the wheel assembly is not able to flop outwards. A couple well-placed cinder blocks, or some other method will avoid this.

Hope this helps, Steve