Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Truth about Lowering springs and Oem Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Truth about Lowering springs and Oem Shocks?

Hey,
I just ordered my Eibach Pro kit.
(10% off sale at autoanything.com)

I am seeing so much contradictory info on whether or not lowering springs will kill oem shocks and struts. Does anyone truly know an official solid answer on this? Should I wait until other shock options are available before lowering or should I be prepared to just replace my shocks sooner? I want to improve the handling of my car but if long term damage is possible I might want to reconsider lowering.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
Lowering springs will shorten the life of your shocks....period. However, unless you're really planning on beating on your car on a regular basis, you'll still get a good 3 years or so before they begin to go bad.

Obviously coilovers or a matching spring/shock combo (such as the T1R V2.0 s-coils + T1R Dampers) is a much better idea.

I drove my old Prelude for 6 years on Neuspeed springs with no problems until just before I sold it...they were starting to sag in the rear

Old 05-14-2009, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
pro-kit is the higher ones right? i think a moderate drop rides fine on the Fit but with more lowering, it starts to get a little bad. Like i have T1R V.1 springs and i rode in a friends car while a friend drove my car.. i could tell the shocks were REALLY being tested, every bump could not be well adsorbed, just alot of bouncing. That could just be that it's really stiff too... in any case i rode in a Fit with pro-kits and it seems fine, dont worry!

Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Depends on how you drive. Like DrKelso, I also had Neuspeed Springs on my 02 Civic. 1.75" F and 1.5" R. Lasted 6 years, then I sold the car. At the time it was still doing fine.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Depends on how you drive. Like DrKelso, I also had Neuspeed Springs on my 02 Civic. 1.75" F and 1.5" R. Lasted 6 years, then I sold the car. At the time it was still doing fine.
Thanks, this is my daily drive to work car. It will never see a track, just a few spirited corners here and there.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrKelso
Lowering springs will shorten the life of your shocks....period. However, unless you're really planning on beating on your car on a regular basis, you'll still get a good 3 years or so before they begin to go bad.
To add to this by adding data relevant directly to the Fit, I have driven 70,000 miles in two 1/2 years on my Fit with Skunk2 lowering springs and I DID take it to the track two times and both visits where approx. 50 laps during the entire track day on both occasions, I regularly have my fun thrashing shoulders and on ramps and to add to all that the roads in Puerto Rico are paved in the worst asphalt that you could conjour up in any state in the US (and I have my fellow PR Fit Freakers that can attest to that). Its only just now my OEM shocks are starting to feel the abuse. The dampening has gotten pretty bouncy with time and now my front right shock is making an occasional noise or two when decompressing to fast. I'm officially in the market to change them now but thats another story on my end.

Whats my verdict? The Fit's OEM shocks can take quite a bit of abuse before they give out and if you don't plan on attending track days or abusing your shocks on a regular basis you should be fine for years to come. In short, you will be abosuletly a o.k. with lowering springs + OEM shocks on the Fit.

Cheers!

Old 05-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
^i agree with him or her from my experiences as well.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
i believe that chris G ran his oem struts with vogtland springs for 50,000+ miles

Last edited by Fat Ping Cat; 05-17-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-17-2009, 12:18 PM
i had pro-kits in my old RSX-S and it lasted me 55k miles till my shocks blew and yes that involves 30% spirited driving (canyon runs, touge, auto-x) and 70% daily.
These are also certain pre-caution you can take to extend the life of your shocks/struts.

- avoid potholes at all cost.
- be cautious and slow on dips/bump-stops.
- check your tire pressure 2-3 times per week.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paul_A
i had pro-kits in my old RSX-S and it lasted me 55k miles till my shocks blew and yes that involves 30% spirited driving (canyon runs, touge, auto-x) and 70% daily.
These are also certain pre-caution you can take to extend the life of your shocks/struts.

- check your tire pressure 2-3 times per week.

good pointers... i was so mad friday i was at this park and out of no where there was a speed bump (unmarked in a hilly narrow parking lot) and i'm pretty sure i hit my bumpstop.

what would you recommend for tire pressure on a lowered car. i'm guessing something lower so that the tire would absorb some more shock.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Paul_A

THIS+

honestly i dont give a shit for tire pressure no need to check it that often. Check tire pressure as usual unless you have horrible tires, or you like to drive with nails in them, then you might need to check tire pressure 3 times a week.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the advice. It seems that wearing the shocks out will not be a real issue. As for worrying about potholes etc is it really that much more of an issue for the shocks than having standard springs? Eibachs don't have a deep drop. I could see it being an issue if someone had a huge right to the ground drop. I have never had aftermarket springs on my cars is there really that much performance improvement or is it honestly just for looks?

Last edited by runbikerun; 05-17-2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-17-2009, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by runbikerun
Thanks for all the advice. It seems that wearing the shocks out will not be a real issue. As for worrying about potholes etc is it really that much more of an issue for the shocks than having standard springs? Eibachs don't have a deep drop. I could see it being an issue if someone had a huge right to the ground drop. I have never had aftermarket springs on my cars is there really that much performance improvement or is honestly just for looks?
Performance wise it is somewhat better but not as good as it could be with matching dampers. And yes it is a big deal to watch out for potholes. the dampers were not originally designed to be under that much pressure constantly and to have such a sudden increase in pressure over what was already there makes a failure more likely whether they blow or start to leak.

most springs don't vary drastically in how much they lower the car unless one takes it upon themselves to cut the spring. my T1Rs have about the same drop as the Eibach Pros.. the lowest springs widely available are the sportlines.. but if typically if people want to go even lower they get coilovers or even go on bags

compare:

basically... it's just for looks if you don't have dampers that work with the springs

Eibachs are a good pick, i only went with T1R because i got them cheap and they are made in Japan. which car are you putting them on??

Last edited by Fat Ping Cat; 05-17-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, this is on the 09 Sport.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:12 PM
I have just put skunk2 springs in, oem shocks. If I was going to buy shocks for them I would have went coilovers for a extra few hun.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
20k miles on swift springs. dampers (aka Oem shocks) are fully functional. not to say i wouldnt love a bilstien valved for these springs to improve the ride but there is no need for any maintenance/ replacement.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Im at 35k with tanabe df210 springs (extreme drop). Just realized today my rear driver side shock is wearing out. Experiencing tire waving on this tire only. All the arrows are pointing to a bad shock.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Any one in australia help me to find a lowering spring for my honda jazz GE 2011? Thanks