3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Lowering Springs on Stock Shocks/Struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 11:07 PM
Lowering Springs on Stock Shocks/Struts

Hey guys, this is a topic that has been discussed in depth but I’d like to get suggestions on lowering springs. Looking to lower my Fit, not a lot, just enough. The RSR Superdown springs have caught my eye. What’s too low before you start destroying the stock shocks prematurely and what do y’all suggest as a good lowering spring to run?

Old 04-24-2019, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Any lowering spring will prematurely wear the OEM shocks faster and not have the correct dampening.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
interested in swift springs + koni orange's?

Old 04-26-2019, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
yah man that would be a sweet setup!

Old 04-27-2019, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tk9985
Hey guys, this is a topic that has been discussed in depth but I’d like to get suggestions on lowering springs. Looking to lower my Fit, not a lot, just enough. The RSR Superdown springs have caught my eye. What’s too low before you start destroying the stock shocks prematurely and what do y’all suggest as a good lowering spring to run?
Do let us know which springs you chose and post some pics for us to admire.....

Old 04-27-2019, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by JingJangJoe
Do let us know which springs you chose and post some pics for us to admire.....
haha for sure the more I keep reading about the lowering springs I do worry they’ll end up blowing out my shocks I actually think I may hold off on springs until I can afford to put new shocks with it or just go coilovers.

I did just order wheels tho! So I plan on doing a build thread as I have a few more mod ideas

Old 04-27-2019, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tk9985
haha for sure the more I keep reading about the lowering springs I do worry they’ll end up blowing out my shocks I actually think I may hold off on springs until I can afford to put new shocks with it or just go coilovers.

I did just order wheels tho! So I plan on doing a build thread as I have a few more mod ideas
Hi,
I wouldn't worry about blowing out the shocks. The higher spring rate may wear them out sooner but then again, if you travel over rough roads every day and carry heavy load, even the OE suspension will wear out faster than expected.

There are too many variables so just go ahead if you decide to use just lowering springs. It's the cheapest way to lower the car and improve overall handling.

You may want to checkout the Springs by Spoon Sports. The spring rates are slightly higher than OE but yet offer enough comfort level and lowers the car to a nice height.

Good luck....

Old 04-27-2019, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
Hi,
I wouldn't worry about blowing out the shocks. The higher spring rate may wear them out sooner but then again, if you travel over rough roads every day and carry heavy load, even the OE suspension will wear out faster than expected.

Not really accurate. It has little or nothing to do with spring rate. They usually blow because the shock isn't operating in the proper range of motion that it was designed for. For sake of discussion there's 12" of travel and with the stock springs. Normal at rest is at 6" or in the middle.. With the lowering springs at rest was just moved whatever the drop was? Now the at rest might be at 4.5"?

Old 04-27-2019, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
Not really accurate. It has little or nothing to do with spring rate. They usually blow because the shock isn't operating in the proper range of motion that it was designed for. For sake of discussion there's 12" of travel and with the stock springs. Normal at rest is at 6" or in the middle.. With the lowering springs at rest was just moved whatever the drop was? Now the at rest might be at 4.5"?
Sorry. But i disagree. The absorber is just a tube filled with oil and a piston with valves moving up and down inside the tube. So it does not matter whether the piston is lower or higher. It will still perform its job regardless of height change.

The only damage that will occur if the ride height is too low is that tge shock bottoms out, causing impact damages to the housing and the piston.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Rob H
Hi,

There are too many variables so just go ahead if you decide to use just lowering springs. It's the cheapest way to lower the car and improve overall handling.

You may want to checkout the Springs by Spoon Sports. The spring rates are slightly higher than OE but yet offer enough comfort level and lowers the car to a nice height.

Good luck....
both good points lol the line between what’s good for the car and bad in terms of stuff like this seems to be blurred, there’s a big grey area it seems.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
It does have to do with both the spring rate and the height. If lowering the car and using a spring rate that is not higher than the original taller spring, the shock is most likely to bottom out because the spring is not tall enough or stiff enough to keep the shock from bottoming. This will damage the shock. The spring's function is to support the weight of the car, and the shock's function is to control the rate of motion in compression as well as rebound.

Old 01-15-2021, 05:54 PM
So what did you end up going with? I just got some RSR Super Down Springs and plan to install next month on the stock shocks.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by dantheman1689
So what did you end up going with? I just got some RSR Super Down Springs and plan to install next month on the stock shocks.
I ended up getting a set of the Eibach lowering springs. They had a really good sale on them. Ride quality on stock shocks is good enough, body roll is definitely reduced. I’d venture to say your Super Down springs will feel about the same, I believe the amount they lower the car is similar.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
Yeah, I am.