Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

PLEASE HELP?!?!? Skunk2 Springs Making Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 PM
PLEASE HELP?!?!? Skunk2 Springs Making Noise

So I've had my Skunk2's laying around for about 2 months now and finally had some free time to put them on. I went to a "Rent-a-bay" Hobby shop and used the DIY listed on the forums. I even had help from a well respected mechanic in this area. The install went great. Took me about 5 hours total after smoke/bullshit breaks (At $2.50 an hour for a stall I could definitely afford the breaks ) Anyways we tightened EVERYTHING down to spec and when I took off I immediately heard a "popping" sound coming from the front left when I pulled out of the shop. I assumed it was the new springs settling and that nothing of it, but every other bump on the road told me other wise. The slight "popping" sound has now turned into a "clanking/knocking" sound at low speeds on bumpy roads or over speed bumps and are occurring much more frequently now. It's starting to scare me and I'm afraid to take my car anywhere. At highway speeds there is no sound at all either... really weird. Anyone have an idea of what could be the problem? Should I be scared to drive my fit 'till I can get back to the hobby shop Monday morning and have my mechanic drive it and try to fix it? IS MY WHEEL GONNA FALL OFF???? HELP PLEASE!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited by Demon Fit; 04-16-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
i recommend you jack your car up... take off the front wheel and see if anything is broken BEFORE driving it again... especially if you are worried your wheel is gonna fall off.

The moment you heard the popping noise the first time, you should've just turned around and went back into the stall.

If I were to guess what it might be... broken or popped out stabilizer link.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
i recommend you jack your car up... take off the front wheel and see if anything is broken BEFORE driving it again... especially if you are worried your wheel is gonna fall off.

The moment you heard the popping noise the first time, you should've just turned around and went back into the stall.

If I were to guess what it might be... broken or popped out stabilizer link.
You sir, are a genius! I jacked up the car, took the wheel off, nothing was broken or popped out of place but for some odd reason the opposite bolt on the stabilizer link was loose (the one that you don't even touch for the install) I tightened it up and now it rides smooth as hell. If I was standing next to you I would shake your hand. +Rep to you my friend

Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
When I was borrowing the Pathfinder, something similar happened to me.

Just driving along, doing my deliveries... then POP. All of a sudden I get noise whenever I turn left.

When I had free time between deliveries, I turned the wheel to get a look inside... and saw the link flopping around. It had popped the upper socket. Eventually, I went to a mechanic and had both sides replaced (SUV was 10 years old).

I didn't fix it myself because I only started "DIYing" things after getting the Fit, which was when I returned the SUV.