Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Question about the shocks/dampers

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Question about the shocks/dampers

So I've installed swift springs and have had them for quite some time now. The other day I noticed while installing headlight bulbs when I turn the steering wheel all the way in one direction, the rubber gromit where the damper is lifts up slightly. Is this happening because I need to tighten the damper more, if so what's the best approach maybe remove the wheel, have the car supported on jack stands and then jack up each front side wheel independantly so as to remove weight and compress the shock? It's kind of hard to explain.... thanks for any help or is this just normal????

Old 06-15-2011, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fittacular81
So I've installed swift springs and have had them for quite some time now. The other day I noticed while installing headlight bulbs when I turn the steering wheel all the way in one direction, the rubber gromit where the damper is lifts up slightly. Is this happening because I need to tighten the damper more, if so what's the best approach maybe remove the wheel, have the car supported on jack stands and then jack up each front side wheel independantly so as to remove weight and compress the shock? It's kind of hard to explain.... thanks for any help or is this just normal????
That movement is because there's slack between the two top nuts (one nut "under the car" and the other nut on top of that grommet).

If you want to remove that movement, you only have to tighten the top. Get a ratcheting box-end wrench (oh so much easier with it) and an allen wrench.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Yea I've pretty much tightened it as much as I can. Using an Allen key, and a wrench. It won't thread anymore not one bit.