Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

outer CV joint problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 02:02 AM
Unhappy outer CV joint problems?

So a couple days ago, my cousin and i took a drive to LA/West Covina. My car being low and pretty stiff (buddy club n+) the ride wasn't fun at all because of the sh*tty roads.

While driving to and from LA/West Covina, I hit a few potholes/huge dips on the free way at a max speed of 75mph. I didn't notice anything wrong while driving home and it wasn't till tonight driving home from work that i noticed a slight ticking noise in the front of the car.

The noise happens sometimes when i slow down anywhere from 25mph-0mph going straight. Doesnt make a grinding or popping noise when turning.

I found someone with the exact problem on the forums (GD), but his turned out to be the brakes. But i have a feeling that mine is the outer cv joint, but i really hope its the brakes. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...ing-front.html

btw i checked all my lug nuts on the wheels and they are all torqued properly. I'll remove the wheels tomorrow morning and check all the cv-joints for any rips and the brakes for anything obvious.

So what do you guys think the problem is? I wanna know what you guys think the problem is before i bring it in, or if any of you guys have had this problem. I've read that a bad outer cv joint usually makes noise when turning, not going straight so im confused on what it could be.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
When I had my coils I hit a pretty good sized pothole and broke a lower bolt on the coil. Pull the wheels off and start looking for items bent or broken. Te fit has fairly weak tie rods also.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Wow I just came across this problem today. I'm on d2s going to the store everything was fine till I got home i noticed a grinding sound. I got out of my car looked under it thinking something came loose but everything was fine.

I hear the grinding sound going straight and backing up. I'm pretty sure it's the cv joint, I'm going to take it to dealership soon if anything.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Did anyone find out what the problem was?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Bump on this! Anymore info, I've gotthe same problem, but wouldn't it be the inner cv joint if we're getting the noise going straight or in reverse, as aposed toturning the wheel and getting the noise (whichif I'm not mistaken would be the outer cv joint, connected to the hub assembly)

Anybody maybe have an idea on how much to get this fixed?

Thanks and peace