Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

How to adjust dampening once installed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:00 PM
How to adjust dampening once installed?

Hey guys, I installed a set of D2 coilovers this weekend and I'd like to adjust the dampening. My problem is that now that the fronts are installed, I can't get the 4" hex key down into the top of the strut. The front dash is in the way. I've considered drilling a hole through my dash so that I can slide the hex key through it, then patching it afterwards. Thoughts?

I found an example of the problem - not my pic. You'll see on the left side of the image, that the top strut is under the dash lip. I can't get the tool down the hole. Stupid problem, but still a problem.

Is there a special tool? Here's a pic of what comes with it. The tool I used is in the bottom left corner of this pic:

Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
I put my keys in before putting the cowl and everything back on. Then I could just slide a couple fingers in and twist it to where I wanted it. I think the easiest solution now is to go get a hex key that has the 90* angle in it and use that instead of the ones it came with.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:05 PM
I tried the 90* angle hex key with no luck. The distance that I need to get the key down into the bolt is longer than the available clearance. I can get the short end in, but it doesn't reach the dampening control.

Option #1: Drill a hole, buy a really long hex key (still trying to source one)
Option #2: Take the cowl apart enough to get the tool in

Can any one think of anything else? Is there some magic tool that bends in parts?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
I say take the cowl off and attach those adjustment knobs.

If I remember correctly you just remove the wiper arms, pull off the seal that the hood closes against, remove some clips, and then unclip/pull the cowl off. The windshield washer hoses are under the cowl too so don't forget to reattach those if you do disconnect them.