Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

GD3 Function & Form Type II Review

Old 07-16-2014, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Well I think I'm sold. Looking into these now. Based on everyone's reviews they seem pretty legit and will hold up in those fierce winters. Wish they would get a little lower like D2s. What I'm looking for is not serious tire tucking but a little bit of tire tuck all the way around. Will I get this from these type 2s? I want to close up my wheel gap as much as possible so the fit looks nice and low.

Last edited by GinoLicious; 07-16-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GinoLicious
Well I think I'm sold. Looking into these now. Based on everyone's reviews they seem pretty legit and will hold up in those fierce winters. Wish they would get a little lower like D2s. What I'm looking for is not serious tire tucking but a little bit of tire tuck all the way around. Will I get this from these type 2s? I want to close up my wheel gap as much as possible so the fit looks nice and low.
What wheel/tire set-up do you have? Keep in mind that those come into play as well. Are you ordering from the F2Autolife website? Because last time I saw them they were on sale for $700. Another thing I like about this set is that they are rebuildable and the spare parts are fairly priced. I have yet to get mine due to other priorities, hopefully when it's time they are still available.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
I was looking at F2autolife to buy. My wheel set up is 195/55/15R. Might go smaller tires once these once these blow. They are kind of beefy. I do want a little bit of tire tuck so I do look nice and low. I personally think think the Fit looks amazing like that.

Why would you have to rebuild them? I'm hoping to get 3-5 years on them like my stock suspension lol.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Mine arrived the other day, $675 + shipping from EBay. Cost me a little over $900 Canadian to my door. Can't wait to install them!! It's funny they don't come with instructions but they are available on the F2 website.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
I was looking at F2autolife to buy. My wheel set up is 195/55/15R. Might go smaller tires once these once these blow. They are kind of beefy. I do want a little bit of tire tuck so I do look nice and low. I personally think think the Fit looks amazing like that.

Why would you have to rebuild them? I'm hoping to get 3-5 years on them like my stock suspension lol.
My wheel/tire set-up is 15x7.5 ET32 with 195/50/15 tires. When I get my set I just want it to sit right above the tire with maybe a quarter inch gap, don't wanna go too low (but we'll see).

Rebuilding is just in case something blows/breaks sooner than you'd expect. But if ever it does happen, spare parts are available.

Originally Posted by devmail
Mine arrived the other day, $675 + shipping from EBay. Cost me a little over $900 Canadian to my door. Can't wait to install them!! It's funny they don't come with instructions but they are available on the F2 website.
I believe on the F2autolife website the shipping to Canada is only $85. Ebay was a bit steep on the shipping. But give us a review when you get it installed!

We need more reviews of this set-up!

Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jmsplitfyre
My wheel/tire set-up is 15x7.5 ET32 with 195/50/15 tires. When I get my set I just want it to sit right above the tire with maybe a quarter inch gap, don't wanna go too low (but we'll see).

Rebuilding is just in case something blows/breaks sooner than you'd expect. But if ever it does happen, spare parts are available.

I believe on the F2autolife website the shipping to Canada is only $85. Ebay was a bit steep on the shipping. But give us a review when you get it installed!

We need more reviews of this set-up!

I do not think I will be proceeding with these ones. I am now looking at d2s. The reason is what you mention above is too high for me still. I feel the fit needs a little tire tuck to look dope to me. Everyone is free to do what they please, I'm not bashing. I don't think the type 2s will achieve that low look for me. I need a little bit of tire tuck or the tire right in the fender. A gap of any sort I cannot handle.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
I do not think I will be proceeding with these ones. I am now looking at d2s. The reason is what you mention above is too high for me still. I feel the fit needs a little tire tuck to look dope to me. Everyone is free to do what they please, I'm not bashing. I don't think the type 2s will achieve that low look for me. I need a little bit of tire tuck or the tire right in the fender. A gap of any sort I cannot handle.
TBH, I have a 80-20 split between the Type II's and D2's because of the same reason. I like the Type II's because of the price and the D2's because of how low it goes and the color scheme of the coilovers matches my car.

But yeah, whichever set you pick up please do up a review since not a lot of people have an idea of how much drop the coilovers offered for our cars give.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
For those who have had these coilovers for a while, how did you guys adjust the ride height and/or stiffness for the rear? And what preload did you do for the rear springs?
My issue is that no matter how high I adjust my shocks (1 finger gap from fender), it still rubs. My wheels are +32, fenders are rolled.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:14 AM
For those who have had these coilovers for a while, how did you guys adjust the ride height and/or stiffness for the rear? And what preload did you do for the rear springs?
My issue is that no matter how high I adjust my shocks (1 finger gap from fender), it still rubs. My wheels are +32, fenders are rolled.
What size tire?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alvarooo90
What size tire?
195/50/15. Got it figured out. The rear is a bit stiffer now. But still gotta get my rears shimmed to have at least -1.25 camber.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:11 PM
195/50/15. Got it figured out. The rear is a bit stiffer now. But still gotta get my rears shimmed to have at least -1.25 camber.

You can definitely do that. Or run a bit smaller tire 175/50 or 195/45 either will help. Good luck bud.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alvarooo90
You can definitely do that. Or run a bit smaller tire 175/50 or 195/45 either will help. Good luck bud.

Thanks man! I've always liked the beefy look, so I will just wait until I get my shims in. And I'm just waiting on my bumper quick release kit so I can grind down that bumper screw tab.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Thanks man! I've always liked the beefy look, so I will just wait until I get my shims in. And I'm just waiting on my bumper quick release kit so I can grind down that bumper screw tab.
Sweet man I ran the same set up but with +15 offset so it rubbed ALOT! Lol. And I have tabs on my bumper as well. I feel you man

Old 04-01-2015, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
I'm finally having my Type IIs installed tomorrow. Will post a review of the difference b/w those and T1R S-coils with stock dampers.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Well I got these installed, my mechanic had some trouble since they have no instructions included. The rear springs were installed upside down i think (adjustment collars need to be on the top correct?) but I will have an alignment on Wednesday and get them switched around.

The car is slammed, and being on 175/60 13 tires it is too low. Our roads are crap, plus getting down the incline of my driveway into the garage scraped my muffler...lol. I am going to raise it up probably an inch or so for good clearance. I'm afraid to try and back it out of the garage until it's raised up...don't want to dent my brand new Tanabe Concept G. Will post some good pics and a review soon.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, springs down. Because you need to re-use the rubber pads for the springs and flat side for the perches.
Try to break them in first before re-adjusting. And yeah, post pics please!

Old 04-15-2015, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, springs down. Because you need to re-use the rubber pads for the springs and flat side for the perches.
Try to break them in first before re-adjusting. And yeah, post pics please!
Name:  13C86209-A40B-46FB-8D2F-156615199301_zpsuop5ovkx.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  152.1 KB

Here they are just after install. I don't think they were at the lowest setting after making some adjustments but on 175/60r13, it was only 3" from the ground to the jack spot behind the front fender. I loved the look but I would need bigger overall diameter tires to drive pseudo-comfortably.

After a week the springs settled by approx 1/4." I'm currently trying to solve a metallic knock on the rear drivers side over bumps. I'm think it has too much spring preload, as too little preload makes a different sound than this. I know from tweaking these over the past 2 weeks.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
The fronts need a bit more drop to get even with you rears. But I think that's already a perfect look. I also played around with the rear adjustment, and so far mine doesn't have that sound you're talking about.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by devmail

Here they are just after install. I don't think they were at the lowest setting after making some adjustments but on 175/60r13, it was only 3" from the ground to the jack spot behind the front fender. I loved the look but I would need bigger overall diameter tires to drive pseudo-comfortably.

After a week the springs settled by approx 1/4." I'm currently trying to solve a metallic knock on the rear drivers side over bumps. I'm think it has too much spring preload, as too little preload makes a different sound than this. I know from tweaking these over the past 2 weeks.
It looks good. I would go just a little lower. But that is me personally. Look is great though.

Im putting my HSD coils to the full low setting to eliminate the entire wheel gap. Don't want tire tuck, but don't want wheel gap.

I run 195 or 185/55/15. I plan on going down to a 45 or 50 when I need new tires.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone have a coil bind issue on the rear springs? Going over speed bumps or into parking lots on an angle hearing your spring bind? I didn't put my top bushing on but I doubt that is the reason for the coil bind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GD3 Function & Form Type II Review