Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

I got 67,800 miles from my stock Dunlops.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
I got 67,800 miles from my stock Dunlops.

I just wanted to say that keeping up with tire rotations can go a long way!

Tires were rotated each and every oil change. I also washed the wheel barrels to get any crud out.

I replaced them with stock sized Yokohama ENVigors. So far, they are great! Very quiet tire. They feel a little heavier compared to the Dunlops, but it's nothing bad. I'll report back after I've driven on them more.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:27 PM
That's got to be a record and a testimony to rotation.

Well done keep us posted.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
I just replaced my stock Dunlops with 59K miles. The rears were almost bald but the fronts still had another 5k or so left. I was only able to replace 2 tires since they're on back order. Another 2 will go on soon. -Jason

Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 PM
miracle

Originally Posted by D50boy
I just wanted to say that keeping up with tire rotations can go a long way!

Tires were rotated each and every oil change. I also washed the wheel barrels to get any crud out.

I replaced them with stock sized Yokohama ENVigors. So far, they are great! Very quiet tire. They feel a little heavier compared to the Dunlops, but it's nothing bad. I'll report back after I've driven on them more.
That's fairly miraculous! I rotate at 5K (oil change interval) and only got a little over 30K out of the dunlops. Unless something better is developed the Envigors will be my next tire as well. They're getting excellent reviews at tirerack.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Slightly off topic, but I was upset at my Honda Dealer.

The Maintenance Minder for my first Oil Change came on, which includes the code for a tire rotation.

When I took my Fit in for them to do the maintenance....they changed the oil and filter...but reading my paperwork, left the comments "Inspected Tires-No Need To Rotate at this time".

Well, not a huge deal, but The actual wording from Honda is ROTATE TIRES not Inspect and determine if Rotation is needed...

And while I think I can fudge on this one rotation...the whole point to me of rotating the tires is to try to keep uniformity and even wear. If you reach a point where you look and visibly you can determine that you need to rotate, you've probably waited too long.

Just bothered my because I'm convinced the dealership, was just in a hurry, wanted to get me in and out A.S.A.P. and did not want the trouble of rotating the tires, but I told them I was there for the maintenance minder code(s).

I think for my next Oil Change and Maintenance Minder codes, I'm trying a different dealership.

This is the same dealership that told me when I complained about the "slight" movement in the drivers seat...a well documented occurance within this site, that it was Okay...because they had an exact same Fit as mine on the lot and it had the same flaw...

So since my seat was loose and another Fits seat was loose that means there is no reason to fix anything....????

Sorry for taking this off topic some. I don't know if I'd WANT to get 67,800 miles out of my Dunlops...even if I could. Thanks to my less than stellar Honda Service Center...I'll be replacing sooner....

Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 PM
My first oil change included the rotation and I received a 'Multi Point Vehicle Inspection' showing the tread wear and a check-off of what they looked at. Fronts were within 1/32 of the rears. Service tech said they really didn't need rotation but they did do it. They also included the printout from the battery test. They did not look at the brakes.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 PM
You will pay $20 for the tire rotation. Just do it on your own driveway.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Well that's fine if it isn't 15F and your driveway is full of snow ;-)

Old 03-06-2011, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Well that's fine if it isn't 15F and your driveway is full of snow ;-)
When I went in to do my oil change, the service guy and I talked about it when I dropped off my car, and I just decided for them to NOT do it. Figured I'd do it when it gets warmer out.

Right now, its cold outside, but shouldn't be for too long... not that it matters, my tires are about even right now on all four (6/32 all). So, I could actually skip this rotation entirely.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 AM
30,000 to 60,000 miles on tires is a big disparity so want to ask:
Those of you who replaced the stock Dunlops, how many miles did you get and what did you keep the tire pressure at?

As far as rotation I understand the need to do it (economic- so they wear out at the same time) and wear (any difference in how/how much they wear is evened out) but is it really necessary to rotate them every oil change? Or would, say, three times during the life of the tires be enough?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
30,000 to 60,000 miles on tires is a big disparity so want to ask:
Those of you who replaced the stock Dunlops, how many miles did you get and what did you keep the tire pressure at?

As far as rotation I understand the need to do it (economic- so they wear out at the same time) and wear (any difference in how/how much they wear is evened out) but is it really necessary to rotate them every oil change? Or would, say, three times during the life of the tires be enough?
Assuming my tires were 10/32 when I bought the Fit... and 2/32 is when it's considered time to replace.

I'm on 6/32, and by my count, if I had rotated with the oil change, this would be my second... and by the fourth rotation/oil change, the tires would be replaced.

In essence, for me, the two would end up being the same thing.

Yes, 25k for a tire isn't a lot... it most likely has a LOT to do with the way I drive (I'm not easy on the throttle). I might be able to pull off longer oil/tire change intervals, if I could restrain myself. But if I wanted to do that, I wouldn't have gotten a Fit (and in manual).

BTW, I have a feeling there's a LOT more going on to getting 60k out of a set of tires, than just rotations (like road conditions, driver habits, etc).

Old 03-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Of course- I got only 2000 miles out of one tire. Thanks, Tenth Avenue!

Does temperature have anything to do with it? Long highway drives good or bad?

I imagine that driving in a straight line wears tires less than a lot of turning like in city driving, but that's only a guess- anybody know how this works?

In any case it's something I have no control over- when the tires wear out, they get replaced.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Best things for tire life in descending order are; routine rotation schedule [w/ the Fit - every oil change, 7-9Kmiles], proper inflation, dead on alignment and don't drive it like you stole it.

Dealer said I could expect 30Kmiles when I bought it.

I'm close to my second oil change @ 19K. First rotation was after 9,308miles and my tires measured 8/32. So that's indicating 37K on the set. 60K is extraordinary, I would say driving style [speed] was the primary factor.

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 03-06-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
I had them at 32psi.. or as close as possible. I drive 102 miles per day during the week (according to google maps) mostly hilly highway, but I work in downtown Austin.... so it sees city time. One of the tires had a slow leak and the alignment was slightly off. I'm getting it on the rack tomorrow morning because of a pull to the left. I did take it easy on the Dunlops as I try to drive in a gas saving manner as much as I can. I took a picture of the tread before the swap. The wear bars weren't flush yet.

2200 miles on the ENVigors so far. They are nice in the rain compared to the Dunlops. Quieter too. They still feel heavy, but that might just be me. Stock 15" Sport wheel and tire combo with these is 36.2 pounds by my bathroom scale. If what I read is correct, the stock wheel weighs 17.45 pounds leaving the yoko weighing 18.75 Lbs. I haven't seen any drop or gain in MPG with them. I was hoping to get some RPF1s but my stupid pug had to get emergency squeaky toy removal surgery at a tune of $1300. Ugh.