2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Early inner sidewall wear on stock front Dunlops?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 02:45 PM
Question Early inner sidewall wear on stock front Dunlops?

So I had my '12 Fit Sport taken in for an oil change and rotation. The place I take it to, which I trust, said that the inner sidewalls of the front two stock Dunlops were severely worn and the belts were showing through. They also showed me this so I could see it for myself. The innermost tread was quite worn as well. They said it needed new front tires plus an alignment.

Then, I took to to the local (also trusted) tire shop and they replaced all four tires at my request. I also asked them to align it, but they declined to do so, saying that when they put it up to look at it to align it, it looked good. This matches up with my experience, which is that the car never pulled to one side, even with the front tires worn down like they were.

The car has about 28K miles on it. I don't drive aggressively at all, quite the contrary.

I'm trying to look at this as a blessing in disguise because honestly I hated those Dunlops and was itching to get new shoes for my Fit.

Has anyone else had this experience of early wear on the inner sidewalls of the front stock Dunlops? If so, do you know what caused it?

TIA.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
looks like you're spot on with what everyone else says with the stock dunlops lifetime. i think u had quite a few more miles than everyone else. i have put on maybe 15k miles on mine and the thread depth is still good.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Yes , they are poor for wear . Start at 9/32s and these are a L.R.R. tire . We now have Bridgestone Ecopia 422s' and these are wearing much better . Handling is fine as well for a low rolling resistant tires . The EP 422 start at 10/ 32s' for 175/65-15 .

Last edited by Odie; 08-23-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
I've had Dunlop tires on two different cars now and they have been terrible. Loud, and the handling has sucked. I didn't experience inner tire wear on my 07 Fit stock dunlops but it doesn't suprise me that they are wearing that way. I don't trust a company that makes tires as well as tennis balls, lol.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:01 PM
If your tires are wearing unevenly to any great degree, you do most likely have an alignment issue of some sort, regardless of what the one alignment place said. I'd take the car elsewhere to have it double-checked. If you regularly drive with the car heavily loaded that may have something to do with it.

Just to be clear, it sounds as though you're talking about wear on the inner edge of the tread, and not on the sidewall. The sidewall is the flat part of the tire that goes between the rim and the tread; any visible wear on the inside of the sidewall would indicate something rubbing that should not be rubbing, and needs to be fixed ASAP, if not sooner.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 AM
the stock dunlops on my 13 base hardly had any wear when removed at 11k miles or so.

Within the first 2k miles I had an alignment done because my car had toe in. I could notice it during cornering hard.

Toe in means understeer and a cheap way to keep it somewhat stable on the highway

Old 08-24-2014, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the replies and feedback, everyone.

@DrewE You are right, I meant the inner edge of the tread. Thank you for correcting me on that. I don't usually drive with the car heavily loaded, although I do frequently have a passenger or two. But I would say that the total load is less than half of what the car is rated for most of the time.

I may have it checked out again soon for alignment but I think I will see how things go with these new tires. We went on a road trip yesterday and today and drove about 450 miles all told. The new tires seemed more or less like the old ones in terms of noise but a little better for ride and handling, although I guess that's what you'd expect from a brand new set of tires vs. a worn set of stock Dunlops LOL.