Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Better winter tires in front or rear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Better winter tires in front or rear?

So i've got a set of blizzaks i've used for about 3 seasons now on my Fit and i measured the tread, 1 pair is clearly worn out more than the other.

I'm googling around and so far they say better tread in the rear to avoid fishtailing, but then for snow some people are saying better tread in the front to dig into the snow for FWD..

Any opinions? About to swap them in while I have time this weekend.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
rear is best

Old 11-24-2012, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Old 11-24-2012, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
If you're thinking you can't get by with four all-seasons for the winter - IE if you live somewhere that winter tires are a smart idea - then trying to cheap out by buying only 2 winter tires isn't advisable. Instead, buy four. Then your grip will be balanced like it was previously, and it'll be greatly increased overall. If you buy only two, you'll have a bit more grip overall, and either a rear that wants to come around, or a front that won't grip enough to get you going.

My intuition tells me that:
1) Putting higher-grip tires on the rear is safer, just like it is when people ask "where should I put my two new tires because I don't want to buy four?" This is because when you try to stop, if your rear tires have less grip, they will slide around, swapping your car front-to-back ... bad. Higher grip on the rear = safer stopping behavior.
2) Putting higher-grip tires on the front is going to allow your drive wheels to grip better. Obviously a good thing.

Basically, you can pick which you care about having control over: going, or stopping? And if you'd like both, then you should buy four tires. That's my two cents, but that's basically it. You won't really be saving money if you only buy two, btw - because you'll continue to wear your two "summer" tires during the winter months and you'll just have to replace them sooner.

Personally I would rather buy cheap no-brand tires (all four) and have a matched pair.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
If you're thinking you can't get by with four all-seasons for the winter - IE if you live somewhere that winter tires are a smart idea - then trying to cheap out by buying only 2 winter tires isn't advisable. Instead, buy four. Then your grip will be balanced like it was previously, and it'll be greatly increased overall. If you buy only two, you'll have a bit more grip overall, and either a rear that wants to come around, or a front that won't grip enough to get you going.

My intuition tells me that:
1) Putting higher-grip tires on the rear is safer, just like it is when people ask "where should I put my two new tires because I don't want to buy four?" This is because when you try to stop, if your rear tires have less grip, they will slide around, swapping your car front-to-back ... bad. Higher grip on the rear = safer stopping behavior.
2) Putting higher-grip tires on the front is going to allow your drive wheels to grip better. Obviously a good thing.

Basically, you can pick which you care about having control over: going, or stopping? And if you'd like both, then you should buy four tires. That's my two cents, but that's basically it. You won't really be saving money if you only buy two, btw - because you'll continue to wear your two "summer" tires during the winter months and you'll just have to replace them sooner.

Personally I would rather buy cheap no-brand tires (all four) and have a matched pair.
I think you misread the OPs post... he's not talking about putting 2 winter tires with 2 summer/all-season tires. He's putting 2 new winter tires with 2 old winter tires.

on the very first line, he said he's been using blizzaks.

personally, I'd go with all four new tires.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
You're right I did! That's good actually

Old 11-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Personally I'd put the better ones on the front. I'm perfectly fine with giving up a little rear grip on a FWD car because the rear wheels do very little anyways. The vast majority of your ability to stop, turn, and accelerate is dictated by the front tires.

It's worth mentioning that when Blizzaks get to about 50%, they are bascially all-seasons. All the soft silicate tread that makes them work in the snow/ice is gone at that point. They also discinegrate very fast in temps above 40 degrees F.