Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Fit snow, winter tires,winter driving questions??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
Fit in the snow questions??

Since this is now almost the end of Oct and it's starting to be winter in some places, my question is how do Fit's handle in the snow? In Arizona, Flagstaff is a city where it can snow fairly hard in the winter and temps can be sub-0. Lotsa folks have front drive or AWD cars, so I'm thinking that the Fit would be a good car for a winter climate. Just curious if anyone has driven in snow or winter weather and how well the Fit did. I have to laugh. Here I am in Phoenix, where it was 91 yesterday, and I'm asking people about snow.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:45 PM
I've gotta say, I imagine it will be a beast in the snow. The only thing is the low clearance on the front because of the underbody kit. The light weight, long second gear, and good torque spread will make it pull out of the white stuff nicely.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:55 AM
Yesterday morning it was freezing for the first time this season. The roads were ok, but the bridges were iced up. I took one on an angle. It is going to take some experience to feel more confident on ice. I can easily imagine losing it slightly and with the tight steering, over correcting. I'll take my 'back' way to work until I get used to it.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Recently got my Fit and with winter comming up I was wondering the same thing. Any car is bad on ice, but what about snow.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Snow? Iced roads? What are those things you speak of?

Old 10-26-2006, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by Fray Adjacent
Snow? Iced roads? What are those things you speak of?
Luck you

Old 10-26-2006, 08:25 AM
You won't say luck you when they hit 110 with 80% humidity :G

Old 10-26-2006, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitSam
Luck you
I have to say I'll take the heat anytime - - originally from the Y-town area and lived in NE Ohio my whole life - - until 9 years ago when we moved to Tampa - - love it here - -

We should get our Fit (Storm Silver Sport) this weekend - been waiting almost 3 months - - no worries about snow though I'm glad to say.

Best of luck - - the Fit should do pretty good in the snow - - up north years ago I drove a little 3-cyl Geo Metro in the winter and it did great.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Nokian Tyres

I'm waiting for my Fit to be delivered ..... hopefully in two weeks. I have to drive through the snow belt in northeast Ohio. Last winter, I put new Nokian WR all weather (not all season) tires on my old Honda Civic Hatchback, and it made a HUGE difference. I think I'm going to do the same thing with my FIT instead of sliding through the winter on the all season Dunlops that are standard on the base Fit. With the Nokians I should be able to drive circles around the four-wheel drive gas hogs.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
sup markb, good to know you are getting a diff colour - blue and orange for the sport models here in the "peg".

Old 10-26-2006, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Any Colorado 18" dump of a snowstorm stories out there yet?

Old 10-26-2006, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Funny you should ask we are getting lightly pounded today 6-10 inches Fit did just fine tires could be a little better I was a little worried about ground clearance but it really wasn't that different than my Teg. coilovers should go on tonight but will keep it at stock height for the next few months.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:33 PM
I think she will do fine in the deep stuff. My only consern with the fit is the light weight mixed with the van like profile, seems like you might get pushed of the road if wind picks up on an icy surface.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:02 PM
i'm not worried about the winter, i've already bought a set of snow tires for teh winter, plus if it gets to deep, then i have a 2003 Explorer with 4wd, lol.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
I'm just outside of Chicago here and the snow factor has always been on my mind. I've had some really bad luck with cars and snow. Last winter after getting off of work I crawled through a storm very carefully for 2 hours and made it home only to get stuck in the 3 feet of snow in my driveway, barely made it past the side walk. Took 3 hours to dig out the next morning, snowblower was busted. I think the Fit will do fine. I am going to load some weight in the back though (mainly safety gear). If it seems shaky I will definitely be looking into all weather tires. We should have a winter stats page for the areas that hit winter first so the rest of us can prep.

-C-

Old 10-27-2006, 07:43 AM
I just ordered a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires to put on my 14" alloys from my old Civic. I liked the ratings on TireRack for performance, and the snow & ice performance was close to that of the Blizzaks, which I've had previously. I expect this car to be great in snow.

JonasM

Old 10-27-2006, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
I can't wait for Winter!!! SKi/Snowboard time!!! Exactly how will i be bringing my equipment? I guess i can just put down the small seat and chuck it all in, and even one more person could tag along in the back!

Old 10-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Yep, lucky me!

I can drive the same car on the same tires ALL FREAKIN YEAR!!

Although sometimes we do get freezing rain... ice on the roads... and the related chaos. Regardless of what rubber you have, ice is bad! Luckily it doesn't happen every year, and when it does, it's only a day or two.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Halcyon
sup markb, good to know you are getting a diff colour - blue and orange for the sport models here in the "peg".
Yeah when/ if finnaly gets hear......

Old 10-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Just had our first big snowfall (about 5 inches) up here in Calgary, Alberta.

Fit performed well in the snow and ice. Antilock brakes were a little different feel from our old Civic, they seemed to work better, but the noise was different.

With the all weather tires on the 15 inch rims, the car stuck to the road fairly well. Since it is a light car, it felt like it was sitting on top of the snow more then sinking in.

I would say it performed at least the same or better then the old Civic.

Heat was warm in less than a minutes and HOT after about 10 minutes. Not much window fogging and what did appear was easy dispersed with the defrosters. The ambiant temperature was about -12C.

Cold weather seems to make the plastic of the interior squeek more, so there is some rubbing sound coming out of the dash where it meets the driverside panel by the small window in the front. As well, the door panels make a lot of noise where the handle portion meets up with the rest of the door panel.

Quick Reply: Fit snow, winter tires,winter driving questions??