Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Fit snow, winter tires,winter driving questions??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Snow tires for the Fit

In response to the query about a 45mm offset that is on the alloy rims that come with the Fit Sport, I have no idea what a 45mm offset is. I just mounted the steel rims and they went on just fine. Have driven only a few miles since putting them on and will retorque the lug nuts after about 100 miles of driving. Am following the break in instructions that came with the Blizzak WS 50s that came from Tire Rack.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossom
In response to the query about a 45mm offset that is on the alloy rims that come with the Fit Sport, I have no idea what a 45mm offset is. I just mounted the steel rims and they went on just fine. Have driven only a few miles since putting them on and will retorque the lug nuts after about 100 miles of driving. Am following the break in instructions that came with the Blizzak WS 50s that came from Tire Rack.
offset is how many mm the wheel's center line is offset from it's mounting point

i forget whether the inboard side or outboard side is positive or negative though, a quick search on google or tirerack should shed light on this however

Old 12-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by MarkB
You won't say luck you when they hit 110 with 80% humidity :G
Well, we still get 100+ temps with 80-90% humidity here in NY. I know most people dont believe it, but temps do climb up north too..just not as frequent.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:09 AM
Exclamation Disappointed with Fit in the snow

Well, upstate NY has once again shown me what winter is like. This is my first experience with real snow in the Fit. We have gotten a little over two feet of snow in the last 7 days. Having said that, my beef is with the performance in the snow. I have lived in upstate NY my whole life and driven MANY cars and trucks in this weather. I had a feather light rear wheel drive pickup when I was a kid and it did better than this car getting started. I got stuck in my parking spot yesterday. A very slight incline kept me from getting out. It was embarrassing. It was pathetic. I tried finesse, I tried spinning my way. I tried rocking it. In the end I had to have my wife get behind the wheel and I had to push. Their was no snow bank to break through. Anyway, had several experiences like this anywhere their was more than 3 inches on the ground. It handled great, breaking was great, but just couldn't get started. For background I have the Sport Auto. As I posted in the auto trans milage thread, I really think I should just trade my car in for something a little bigger; 26 mpg on the highway and no traction arent worth keeping.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:45 AM
You using snow tires?

The so-called "feather weight" pickup is still going to weigh a lot more than the Fit.

-Ed

Old 01-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by Edwood
You using snow tires?

The so-called "feather weight" pickup is still going to weigh a lot more than the Fit.

-Ed
No snow tires. I've never bought them in the past, no need to now. And by the way, two men could pick up the back of the truck. So yes, the back was feather light. The Fit has much more weight on the drive wheels.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
I dont know about much snow driving but I was in Big Bear (that would be in California for you out of State-ers) and I stayed in a cabin over the weekend with some friends. Well it just so happened that it snowed the second night we were there so the following day it was nice and clear but with fresh snow on the ground. Now our group had 2 dodge ram 1500s, one with a hemi and one without and both had 20" tires. You would think a truck would be able to fair pretty well in the snow right? WRONG!!! Without snow chains or off roadish tires most cars were rendered useless on the roads. And while at McDonalds we saw a corvette trying to make it up this road that was on a slight incline towards the main road and even they were spinning tires all day. Unless you have 4 wheel drive or some aggressive tires then good luck not crashing!

Old 01-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by mjrossman17
Well, upstate NY has once again shown me what winter is like. This is my first experience with real snow in the Fit. We have gotten a little over two feet of snow in the last 7 days. Having said that, my beef is with the performance in the snow. I have lived in upstate NY my whole life and driven MANY cars and trucks in this weather. I had a feather light rear wheel drive pickup when I was a kid and it did better than this car getting started. I got stuck in my parking spot yesterday. A very slight incline kept me from getting out. It was embarrassing. It was pathetic. I tried finesse, I tried spinning my way. I tried rocking it. In the end I had to have my wife get behind the wheel and I had to push. Their was no snow bank to break through. Anyway, had several experiences like this anywhere their was more than 3 inches on the ground. It handled great, breaking was great, but just couldn't get started. For background I have the Sport Auto.
Judging from my own ice/snow experiences in my Fit Sport AT and from the shared experiences of many members of this forum, I'd say your experience was atypical. I can only suggest that there was something unique about your parking spot situation - a situation that you wouldn't encounter elsewhere. Did you even try S mode?

So far, I've driven my Fit 3 times in serious ice/snow here in Kansas. The first time was in an ice storm, and it included both local and highway driving. All traffic was moving cautiously, even heavy trucks and SUVs, especially when pulling out from a complete stop.

The second time was last week, in 5" of snow on top of a layer of ice. Granted, the streets had been treated before I started out, but as I traveled the 6 miles across town (including over a bridge with a steep incline that begins after a complete stop, and lots of starts and stops along the way), I noticed many cars and trucks having problems with slippage, especially after pulling out from stops. I absolutely didn't have a single problem.

I awoke today to 2 inches of new snow with more rapidly accumlating as I drove. The streets hadn't been treated yet and there hadn't been much traffic up until then. I watched anxiously as cars and trucks were learning the hard way, to start up cautiously from a stop. (There's a lot of school traffic where I have to travel, so granted, there were a lot of young drivers complicating the situation.) I held my breath because I just knew someone was going to slide right into me. (And no reflection of you, but I thought to myself, "Idiots!".) I didn't have a single problem, not ever, not on inclines, not getting away from stops (and there were plenty of stops along the way).

I was pleased all over again at how solidly my stock wheels and tires gripped the road and how perfectly I came to a stop. Granted, the tires are new (only 1200 miles). And I probably will switch out to another set right before next winter, but I've always done that with every vehicle I've driven. I just didn't want the expense so soon after buying the Fit.

Last edited by kgustaf; 01-31-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:49 PM
i've been through three major snowstorms two of which had snow which had snow 6 inches deep, not 6 inches of snowfall, 6 inches of snow, on the road, even major roads that are salted and plowed

i'm an all season tires and got stuck quite a few times on a 2 mile journey to mcdonalds, it was quite easy for me to get out of it each time and the main reason it got stuck in the first place was lack of ground clearance, in one case a cayenne was actually stuck with me and I managed to dislodge my car before he did

perhaps there was ice underneath your tires in your situation because i see no reason why you would have been completely stuck in that situation

Old 03-17-2007, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Cool Stock tires poor in snow

Hey, my only complaint I have about this cars is th tires. On a dry track their good, but in rain and snow poor. I ran my Fit in the snow yesterday( we had a Nor'Easter). The brakes were good. I tried out the ABS. I slammed on thebrakes to see multiple times, I felt them pulsate, etc...

But the tires had little traction, I slid a bit. Not horrible, but clearly, not Good for new tires. I used to have a Toyota FX. ( in college I would have to open up at my job, I went to work in literaly feet of snow, no problem. Th FX was awesome in the snow. I was hoping the Fit would be. Now Ill have to see when I get new tires down the road if snow driving improves, too bad becuase I will have to wait yrs before I change them. I know you warm weather guys dont care about this, but I thought you might want to know.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:40 PM
sell your stock tires and get better winter tires

Old 03-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Is your Fit a sport model or base?

My base model hasn't given me any trouble in the snow this year. I was a little surprised, but, it's done better than my old 1998 Integra did back in the day.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
Hey, Its a sport, Yes I know I could sell them, its not worth it though to sell. i will replace, some day.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:35 AM
It is debatable in hardcore automotive circles as to the term All-Season Tire despite what the industry says. It is a misnomer. It should be called a compromise tire as that's what the properties and tread design are engineered to do.

Most everyone living in climates with occasional light to heavy snow should invest in a dedicated winter snow or ice tire. Or if snow is so infrequent a superior upgrade to a premium *All-Season* tire is recommended for best traction, handling and braking.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
Yeeep! All season = No season !

Old 03-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Which tires do everyone have? Mine came with Dunlop's. I belive
the Fit will come either Dunlop or Bridgestone's.

Here in Nyc Metro area, we had 3-6 inches of ice and my Fit
drove like a champ here. No major issues, got stuck here or there, but
was able to get out of all occassions.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Most car manufactures they choose a tire based on 2 things: fuel economy (usually a harder tire) and price. They don't look specifically at traction in snow/ice. Its up to the customer to swap out the tires to their specific needs.

again, all-season tires are kind of a mis-leading in some markets (ie. western canada) and people really do expect more from their factory tire. It's an unfortunate reality.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Former Vendor
I agree. All season means no season. There is no all season tire that is going to be good in the snow. Winter tires are the way to go if you are in the snow belt.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
I have the Dunlops.

No major issues, got stuck here or there, but
was able to get out of all occassions. Hey, to me getting stuck is an issue. I hear everyone about the all season tires. So, there are no all season tires you like???

Last edited by coldstorage5; 03-19-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Tires to make a difference, but...

I think driving technique has something to do with this as well. Also, depending on what you are comparing the Fit to, you will have noticeably different results. I kept my Fit garaged for the only snow storm we've had since I've owned it, so I cannot offer much guidance.

However, when I see 4WD drive trucks getting stuck in areas I was able to navigate with the wife's Chevy Cavalier, you know there is some user error.

Quick Reply: Fit snow, winter tires,winter driving questions??