Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Fit snow, winter tires,winter driving questions??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
Let me preface this by saying that I am not an employee of any tire maker or seller, nor do I get any special treatment from same.

Yesterday I ordered a set of Blizzak LM-25's in size 195/55-R15 for my '08 Fit Sport. Tire Rack has them on sale, plus right now they have a $50 gift card offer if you buy 4 tires. Total with shipping came to just under $350, so once the gift card is figured in I will have gotten 4 top shelf winter tires delivered to my door for under $300. That is a bargain and a half, let me tell you.

This will be the 5th set of Blizzaks I've run. All have been either LM-22 or LM-25. It will be the first time I've run them on something other than an AWD car, so I will be very interested to see what kind of improvement they will make. I know that they literally transformed my two Subarus; both cars went from being merely driveable in snow to being absolutely incredible snow conquering beasts. The Fit on the OEM Dunlops was all but immoveable in the hills where I live in the one snow event I got caught in last year, so I knew that winter tires were going on it this year.

I can cite one very memorable occasion when I am certain winter tires saved me from an accident and possible injury. I was driving on a freeway in moderately heavy traffic, in light rain, in early winter. Everyone was doing the speed limit or thereabouts. The temperature was close to freezing. Suddenly cars were spinning in every direction in front of me, bouncing off guard rails, abutments, and one another. An overpass had glazed over with ice. A Volvo station wagon with a child in the back seat got t-boned (no injuries, thankfully). Other cars were sustaining considerable damage. I maneuvered my Subie through the ongoing carnage and emerged on the other side unscathed and relatively unruffled. The car never gave me one moment's worry that I would lose control.

300 bucks is an absolute steal for that kind of security and confidence.

And, here's the kicker. I ordered the tires yesterday afternoon, got the email confirmation soon after. This morning I got the shipping confirmation, and the tires arrived at my house soon after! Talk about turnaround time! Thanks TireRack, thanks UPS.
"TopShelf"

You don't know what "Top Shelf" is!!!!!!!!

Unless you have tried and run Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi tires, you will never know. These tires outperform studded snow tires!

Finns know a thing or two about running in extreme weather conditions.

The best price I've seen for these are at Tires By Web - American Racing Wheels, Nokian Tires and Other Great Products

Last edited by Jodele; 10-13-2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Former Vendor
I can't say for certain that they are going to clear.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Clear what? Use the OEM size, that is what I’m doing. I'm running 195/55R15s right now. My next set will be 205/50R16s. I'm pretty sure that the notion of running taller skinnier snow tires is an old wives tale based on 1950s tire technology. I will test it out myself. I got my Nokians two seasons ago and it does not look like they will ware out this season…

Old 10-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Former Vendor
Winter Tech - Size Selection of Winter Tires

It is not an old wives tail. Running narrower tires will give you better winter traction and help you cut through the snow easier.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
Yes it is…because you are hoping to go through the snow to grip the road. Which means that you are praying on light snow, no ice underneath and no hard packed snow! That is a lot to wish for to have a tire work! If any of the aforementioned conditions exist, you will never get to the road surface and you are screwed because you have no surface area to grip the hard-pack, ice, etc.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
To help everybody understand, think of snow as sand.

OK – now we want to take a drive on the beach. What do we think of first? Let’s see, let’s find the skinniest tire we can find and put it on the car! Are you nuts? Even the stupidest person in the world will understand that you will sink the sand and get stuck. This is physics by the way…

The same physics applies to snow…I will test it in two seasons when my current set of snow shoes wares out. It looks like mine will last for 4 to 5 seasons at the rate that they are wearing now.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Former Vendor
What works in the sand is different than what works in the snow and that is different than what works in the mud. You can go with whatever you think is going to work best. You want to float on top of the sand and not dig in. On the snow you want grip and traction. You get that by having the tires bite into the snow

Old 10-13-2009, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
Let me give you some real world example…

Last season, I was driving from Indianapolis to Cincinnati. There was about 3 to 4 inches of fresh snow on the whole road (about 130 miles). Posted limit is 70. Traffic was doing 34 – 45 mph, including police cruisers. I passed no less than 3 police cruisers doing 35 – 40 and I was doing my normal 80! That was worth the price of admission all on its own. Another time I was driving from Cincinnati to Louisville and for about a 40 mile section there was black ice! I was doing 55 – 65 mph when I came up on 3 semis and about 8 cars crashed over on both sides of the road. I stabbed my brakes a few time to check on the road conditions and the ABS came on almost instantly. I slowed it down to about 45 – 50 and weaved my way through the wreckage.

Like I said before, if you don’t have the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi tires, you haven’t got $hit in the snow and ice.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Jodele
To help everybody understand, think of snow as sand.

OK – now we want to take a drive on the beach. What do we think of first? Let’s see, let’s find the skinniest tire we can find and put it on the car! Are you nuts? Even the stupidest person in the world will understand that you will sink the sand and get stuck. This is physics by the way…

The same physics applies to snow…I will test it in two seasons when my current set of snow shoes wares out. It looks like mine will last for 4 to 5 seasons at the rate that they are wearing now.
So, you plan on "floating" a vehicle on top of 10" of snow? Snow is different than sand. Sand does not pack down like snow and you want to "float" on top of sand to prevent it from moving out of place. Snow packs down as you drive on it. The packing down of snow is resistance. The wider a tire is, the more cubic inches of snow that must be packed down per given distance traveled, resulting in more resistance.

Last edited by COTU; 10-13-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Let me give you some real world example…
Last season, I was driving from Indianapolis to Cincinnati. There was about 3 to 4 inches of fresh snow on the whole road (about 130 miles). Posted limit is 70. Traffic was doing 34 – 45 mph, including police cruisers. I passed no less than 3 police cruisers doing 35 – 40 and I was doing my normal 80! That was worth the price of admission all on its own. Another time I was driving from Cincinnati to Louisville and for about a 40 mile section there was black ice! I was doing 55 – 65 mph when I came up on 3 semis and about 8 cars crashed over on both sides of the road. I stabbed my brakes a few time to check on the road conditions and the ABS came on almost instantly. I slowed it down to about 45 – 50 and weaved my way through the wreckage.Like I said before, if you don’t have the [COLOR=black]Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi tires, you haven’t got $hit in the snow and ice.
So, you have given a real world example of how "A" snow tire does. Yes, any snow tire is going to outperform every other normal tire on the road, big deal. Now, tell how many different snow tires you have tried since you keep claiming the one brand you are using is the best (amazing)? Please tell me you have tried a 185 and 265 width snow tire on the same vehicle since you have such great knowledge of how tire width effects your ability to get from point A to point B through snow?

I drive 120 miles to and from work each day in Ohio, mostly on 2 lane roads. I have used 4 different sets of snow tires (2 sets from the Tirerack) on 5 different vehicles in the past 4 years, 3 of them being rear wheel drive. Now you won't hear me telling everyone what the "best" snow tire is. There are just too many I have not tried. I do tell people who are concerned about snow travel that snow tires are the way to go. Some are better than others, but I can't say I have been disappointed with any of them. Now, I just need to pick up a new set for my Fit.

Last edited by COTU; 10-13-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
I'm in Ohio (Cincinnati) too...I'm assuming that you are driving a Fit (beacuse you are on this blog), then, I'm willing to swap wheels with you...then we'll both know. I'd like to test some more snow tires...

Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Not a bad offer, but I don't plan on going "top shelf" with this set. Maybe just something like a Winterforce. The Fit being front wheel drive, it should do well with them. I had a set of them on a Ford Focus, they did great, a little noisy but who cares.

Last years set was the Bridgestone Blizzak WS60. That's the best set "for me" so far. My rear wheel drive V8 needed a "very good" tire.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Thant's too bad...I was looking forward to a head-to-head comparison, on the same day, in the same conditions of at least two different types and maybe sizes of tires. I was also hoping some one else would join in on the comparison test drive…just because, knowledge in itself, is power.

Get your tires, give me a call…and we’ll go out to do something stupid on a hideous day with out Fits. Then we will share out findings with everyone here...

My offer still holds…

Last edited by Jodele; 10-13-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: repetition
Old 10-13-2009, 12:53 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
"TopShelf"

You don't know what "Top Shelf" is!!!!!!!!
And you don't know what my driving conditions, needs, or expectations are. Worse, you do not have the first clue how to have a conversation online. This is the complete extent of my attempt to correct either of those failings. HAND.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
This is true…you are not the first person to tell me that I’m an A$$ H@LE...and probably not the last. Just because I don’t know how to convey my knowledge in a diplomatic was does not mean that I’m not a good source for information. It’s just that people don’t want to come to me because of the way I present myself.

Now back on topic…

A high performance summer tire will outperform any M+S rated tire…I’m going to extremes now. Since we are talking about snow tires, we already know that the people reading this blog are swapping tires with the seasons. We can assume one set of high performance summer tires and a set of winter tires. If a tire performs great in light winter conditions and does not grip on ice, what is the point of swapping the tires around? Use M+S rated tires. It is in the extreme weather conditions that you will need the tires most…to get you home on that one night.

I will repeat my offer…I’m looking for people in the Cincinnati area to do some head-to-head comparisons. Several types of people/driving styles to compare extreme weather tires. I’m interested too!

Old 10-13-2009, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Anyhow, I did get my Blizzaks today. And for the record they seem to fit fine! 195/60/15 on trmotosports 42 offset.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Been running snows tires for quite a few years

During my college years in the late 70s, I spent some time working in the mountains of Pennsylvania. My colleagues who lived on top of the ridges all drove 4WD pickups, and they put on the skinniest, tallest snow tires they could find. That was a good lesson for me.

Last winter my local Volvo indy shop got me a great deal on Hakka RSIs--they normally are frightenly expensive. I put them on our 94 Volvo 850, and our daughter, who used the car in lake-effect west Michigan, had no problems driving in copious snow. Excellent tires.

I just received my winter package from Tire Rack for our base Fit: Michelin x-ICE Xi2. The price, with the $70 rebate, was compelling. I'm confident those tires will do well here in MI.

Over the years I've used many different brands and models of winter tires. As long as you don't try to push them through too many miles of wear, all have done a good job. Just keep 'em narrow.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:28 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
(annoying font removed by wdb) If a tire performs great in light winter conditions and does not grip on ice, what is the point of swapping the tires around? Use M+S rated tires. It is in the extreme weather conditions that you will need the tires most…to get you home on that one night.
Alternatively, you live where winter conditions are rarely such that the depth of the snow is the problem, nor for that matter the frequency of same. Instead you live where winter is cold and wet, with some icy days and many many days of near-freezing conditions, with actual snowstorms occurring less often. You might want a tire that is designed for optimum performance under the conditions you encounter day in and day out, 99% of the time. You might want an H-rated winter tire rather than a Q-rated tire. Q-rated tires are softer and 'squirmier' and provide you with less control in the vast majority of conditions you encounter. The H-rated tires provide much more control and much quicker response, especially at highway speeds, where you spend a lot of your time. The H-rated tires are M+S rated, and you will be allowed to continue even by those cops on the Donner Pass as you trek to Tahoe for that ski weekend. Finally, the H-rated tires are quite good on ice, as some folks might be able to tell you from personal experience. In short, you could buy the tire that gets you home 100% of the time, safely and with good control of your vehicle, just maybe not quite as quickly on that 1% situation where the road is all snow and ice.

Or you could assume that you already know everything, skip the research and honest assessment of your needs, and go with the most aggressive tire on ice. (Maybe even that one with the walnut shells in it.)

clif notes: If you assume that H-rated winter tires equal all-season tires you are enormously mistaken. If you assume that the most aggressive winter tires are the only tires worth buying, you either have not done research or you have never lived anywhere except northern MI.

Last edited by wdb; 10-15-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Former Vendor
Even the worse winter tires are better than the best all season tires. Just making the jump to the winter tires will make a big improvement in performance in the cold, ice and snow. For the record in the actually testing of winter tires that I have done the Blizzak WS 60 is the best. We even put them in a head to head test against a studded tire on the skating rink and the Blizzak came out on top.
If I can help let me know.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
I'd like to see a head-to-head-to-head comparison of the Blizzak, X-ice and Hakkapeliitta...

Quick Reply: Fit snow, winter tires,winter driving questions??