Home Depot CAI (not Sid)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Home Depot CAI (not Sid)

I did a search on DIY intakes and only came up with variations on the Sid SRI so I will ask this. Has anyone removed the snorkle portion of their stock intake and replaced it with flexible duct out through the fender? I have performed this mod on my last two cars with great success and very little cash outlay. First was a 04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T, second was an 07 Mazda 5. I will be doing this on my Fit when I install the HIDs I just wanted to check and see if anyone here had already tried and has any feed-back

Old 06-13-2008, 03:41 AM
... like taking some dryer ducting putting it over the intake hole and running it to your fender?

That is pretty ghetto. No offense.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Thumbs up

our stock intake already is routed to the fender area...you might want to check out the injen writeup at HondaFitTuner.com

Last edited by swaknets; 06-13-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by swaknets
our stock intake already is routed to the fender area...you might want to check out the injen writeup at HondaFitTuner.com
I just bought the filter and one rubber connector from orilleys with my cousin's discount for like $20, went to home depot and bought a two 90degree pvc joints and a 2"-3" adapter to fit the cone. Here it is:

So I guess it's like a half-home depot intake.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by drzenitram
I just bought the filter and one rubber connector from orilleys with my cousin's discount for like $20, went to home depot and bought a two 90degree pvc joints and a 2"-3" adapter to fit the cone. So I guess it's like a half-home depot intake.
I think 2" is small, how is it so far, sound/performance?

I was surfin on ebay and found a cavalier 2.4 intake and, its cheap[$22shipped] and it looks like it will fit the Fit with slight modding, maybe extend the maf sensor or something(looks like it will fit, I dont guarantee), check it> ebay.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:41 AM
I just bought the filter and one rubber connector from orilleys with my cousin's discount for like $20, went to home depot and bought a two 90degree pvc joints and a 2"-3" adapter to fit the cone. So I guess it's like a half-home depot intake.
The thing I like about your setup is its plastic as opposed to metal that retain/absorbs heat like a b1tch, I used to have an Iceman CAI on my old integra and it sounded sweet and when you touch the tube after drive, it doesnt burn you...

Last edited by swaknets; 06-13-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by swaknets
The thing I like about your setup is its plastic as opposed to metal that retain/absorbs heat like a b1tch, I used to have an Iceman CAI on my old integra and it sounded sweet and when you touch the tube after drive, it doesnt burn you...
well, the intake manifold only has a 2" opening, so it wouldn't really matter if I would have gotten larger piping(3" PVC wouldn't fit because the bends were too wide anyways and we couldn't find a 3"male-2"fem adapter).

The sound is awesome, and only loud enough that you just hear it during acceleration. [My personal experience was] the performance was immediate and fairly significant. ...

and yes, it's cool to the touch after driving ;-P and the air is cool also, the area by the filter is actually cool to the touch after driving, even though it's under the hood!

Last edited by sam; 06-14-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: moderated with permission (condition of approval)
Old 06-13-2008, 11:34 AM
well, the intake manifold only has a 2" opening
I thought the TB opening was about 2.5", the DIY aem I did had a 2.5" piping and lined up pretty good with the TB...

Old 06-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Thats sort of what i meant. I actually keep the factory airbox, and replace the plastic tube/snorkle that goes out into the fender with three inch flexible duct. The resulting cold air extension isn't even visable under-hood, and should sound great. Yes it is a little ghetto, and no, I don't care. I would rather save the 260+ bucks that everyone charges for a SRI/CAI and apply it to something more useful to me like a JDM console or HIDs.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I can respect that you want to save money, but don't say getting a name brand CAI is a waste of money. I spent a good chunk of change on mine, I feel it is worth every penny.

It performs, it sounds great and when people look under the hood it never fails to impress.

This Fujita Intake not only looks great, but it has Dyno proven results (ref: Import Tuner)

With nothing except this intake the changed the Fit gains 5hp and 4ft/lb of tourqe.

Maybe the price seems like a lot. But considering a supercharger costs around 100$ per horsepower (a very cost effective mod), this is only about 45$ per pony.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-13-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
Thats sort of what i meant. I actually keep the factory airbox, and replace the plastic tube/snorkle that goes out into the fender with three inch flexible duct. The resulting cold air extension isn't even visable under-hood, and should sound great. Yes it is a little ghetto, and no, I don't care. I would rather save the 260+ bucks that everyone charges for a SRI/CAI and apply it to something more useful to me like a JDM console or HIDs.
That shouldnt make any difference as the route is the same, the filter element is the same(unless you change to k&n dropin). One of the main reason for an intake system is to replace the restrictive factory filter, also, dont forget the bling factor

Old 06-13-2008, 06:29 PM
If money was no object what intake of any type would you suggest. Bling factor being the least important and performance and gas mileage rated at the top. Fire away with constructive suggestions please.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:53 PM
I would suggest injen > check out the injen writeup at HondaFitTuner.com

It can be converted to short ram too. You can probably get it for less than $200 shipped to you, check this one, I would get one but its pretty tight on cash right now. Regarding gas mileage, it really depends on how you drive, if you drive just for the sake of transport, you should see an increase as the engine breathes better(=better performance,throttle response etc), BUT, if you constantly drive in high rpm's to hear the intake growl, its possible you wont notice a difference in gas mileage or worse, get less mpg. A lot of people who installed aftermarket or did the SID's noticed better mpg...my .02 cents

Old 06-13-2008, 10:03 PM
I never meant to say that a name brand CAI was a waste of money, I realize they have their benefits ( more power chief among them) I would just rather build something similar in nature for considerably less money. Yes I will be adding a K&N drop in and may look into smoothing the inside of the air box as well, every car is different as to how much modding the air box needs. The Jetta for example needed massive amounts of plastic removed from the inside of the lower airbox to smooth airflow. The Mazda snorkle assembly was a huge piece of convoluted plastic shaped like a tuba that weighed nearly eleven pounds and whose only purpose was to quiet the intake noise. I'm just wondering how much restriction can be removed from the Fits intake by removing its snorkle.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Why not just play off SIDs sri and run the piping longer...or like the injen one use more silicon to make it to the fender? Or am I just repeating what you guys are talkin' about ?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
grtpumkin, i like your sig. as for me i speant over 5k on parts which i have yet to install because i had to leave cali to go to texas for school. let me list it..
bride zeta III gradiation + bride bracket
8k hid, polarg yellow fogs, eye lids
cf engine cover, sun auto hyper voltage/stabilizer
seibon mg cf hood, gram light 57 max pro 16x7 +38
nrg titanium carbon pedals/shifter
jdm badges, tint..

not sure what else but i got that all within the first month of having my car

Old 07-15-2008, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
i dont have a problem with my metal cai getting hot...it even sits right next to the radiator hose(like all of our cai, but sucks from above the skid plate/rests on top of it)...i just went for a long drive drove the hell out of the car on some parts of the backroads...95º weather here. opened up the hood, felt it, pretty cold :] the engine bay was pretty warm, but the intake, wasnt warm at all, it felt slightly "cold" haha.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kancerr
i dont have a problem with my metal cai getting hot...it even sits right next to the radiator hose(like all of our cai, but sucks from above the skid plate/rests on top of it)...i just went for a long drive drove the hell out of the car on some parts of the backroads...95º weather here. opened up the hood, felt it, pretty cold :] the engine bay was pretty warm, but the intake, wasnt warm at all, it felt slightly "cold" haha.
Ditto, Mine has a fresh supply of cold air from the front. Is always cold to the touch...

....now my manifold is a whole other story

Old 07-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Well, I ended up caving in and buying the A-Spec CAI anyway. After looking at the OE airbox and how tight everything Fits (ha-ha) I figured the only way to improve on it was to go with a CAI