Odometer Rollback Detection

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Odometer Rollback Detection

I am a Hong Kong guy, I am thinking to purchase a second hand FIT, however, heard that many local car dealers in Hong Kong will modify the odometer, and it is actually very easy to do that.

Given that historical car documentation cannot be found as the one I want to buy is shipped from Japan, anyone know the best way of odometer rollback detection?

Any free software to do this?

I am a car newbie, please help, thanks.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

Theres no simple way.
There's a saying, buy the seller, not the car. So if you do not trust the seller, don't buy it.
Ask yourself, does the car look its mileage? Hows the wear on the brake pedal and interior? Look under the car, does it look its mileage? Lots of rocks chips? Hows the windshield? If it looks suspicious, then find another car.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 PM
i love college
Originally Posted by fit2bking
Theres no simple way.
There's a saying, buy the seller, not the car. So if you do not trust the seller, don't buy it.
Ask yourself, does the car look its mileage? Hows the wear on the brake pedal and interior? Look under the car, does it look its mileage? Lots of rocks chips? Hows the windshield? If it looks suspicious, then find another car.
+1 to that.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by fit2bking
Theres no simple way.
Thanks for your advice. The FIT I want to buy with 25000km mileage, it was a 6 years old car (03/04), it sounds too little for me. By just looking at the outlook I think it is really not sufficient to determine the "age" of the car, everything from the outlook to the enginee can be cleaned...

I am from the field of IT security, technology risk management or IT auditing, but of course focusing on company systems and processes. I am just wondering if anyone who got experience on hacking into the car computer to check the mileage?

Or any technical paper from the internet I can reference to? I would like to see if I could perform a comprehensive IT audit on the car computer.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
I've seen the odometer of newer cars have their milage roll back and as far as I know there's no way to tell that they been roll back.
Just follow the advices given by fit2bking and if you don't feel comfortable with the car just walk away.