Hard 1-2 shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
Hard 1-2 shift

Recently, it seems as if I've either lost some skill in shifting between first and second, or something has changed in the gearbox. Has anyone else noticed something like this? It's definitely worse if turning left at the time. I do have the H-Fit short shift kit installed but have had that for 10K or so. It's not every 1-2 shift either, which is weird. It does sort of feel like the synchros aren't meshing properly. As an fyi, I've only owned manuals since I began driving 20+ yrs ago and never had any clutch problems or issues like this, so technique is likely not an issue.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 AM
How many miles are on your MTF? That stuff thins out by 30k, and it's almost like the friction modifiers get burned up. I remember bone on d-s posted an analysis of the older stuff once, it started at about 20w and by 30k miles it was as thin as 0w, iirc. The newer formulation is much thinner than that. Personally I change it every three oil changes.

The 1-2 shift has always been whacky in my car, but it's the opposite of what you're describing. It tries to shoot out of 1st into 2nd.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
hmm, great info. i've been experiencing a lot of what pumpkin is talking about and just clicked over to 35k miles.. time for an MTF flush

any recommendations? i've read that GM synchromesh is great, as is the new Honda MTF (green cap). i've used Mobile1 synchromesh for my last four cars and it has never disappointed me -- cured a 3rd gear crunch in my gt-four.

any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

PS: sorry for the thread jack

Old 06-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Stick with the Honda MTF. I've used the GM synchromesh in my last honda and it was marginally better than the old Honda MTF but still ground gears now and again; it's nowhere near as smooth as the new stuff.

Stay away from anything resembling gear lube. It erodes the nylon bearing cages.

I'm not looking forward to my first change on this car. On the civic I'd just pull the VSS and fill through that hole, adding an even 2qt as 1.8qt would reach the level of the "fill" plug. I don't know if I can reach the VSS on this one, might have to use a fluid pump to use that "fill" plug. Do it when the car is level, either on a lift or over a pit, because as the plugs are on the back edge of the tranny, if the car's on ramps it will be underfilled when level with that plug and the ISB could go dry.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
awesome, thank you for the info! my next oil change is coming up soon, i'm definitely going to change the tranny fuid as well.

now i gotta go find that damn fluid pump -- last time i used it was back in 2002

Old 06-26-2009, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the tips, I've only got about 16k on mine so far, we'll give the MTF change a try though.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Really? Tough at 16k? hmm. Well a fluid change definitely wouldn't hurt it. FWIW I'm planning to do my first MTF change on the next oil change, which by the MM should be around 15k miles on the odo.

In your case the first thing I'd do is take a look at the shifter assembly inside the car and make sure nothing is binding or bent, especially because of that shifter extension you have. Maybe even try removing that part and run it stock for a little bit, see if it improves.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
I was thinking about that, but the randomness of the issue is what puzzles me. I'd think if something was bent it would happen all the time. Something may be loose though, so I may do that once it gets below a million degrees outside.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:20 PM
True, one of those tiny allen screws may have loosened up to the point it lost some movement range. Hate to have that fall off... I'd check that as soon as I could.

Ah Missouri... a co-worker who grew up there told me it was the armpit of america. Always hot.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Good point, forgot about those allen screws. I just wish there was a kit with a whole new lever like I had for my Focus, that is definitely the way to go. Since I'm not a MO-native, I can agree with that comment. Typically hot and humid to the point of being gross from May-October. We just finished up an 11-day stretch of 90+ with high humidity, of course, the cold front only brings it down to 88.