Battery Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Battery Upgrade

Hi, I'm trying to find a battery upgrade that could fit my 2009 Honda Fit. As you know the space is limited and the sizes for the optima or odyssey batteries don't seem to match. I travel a lot so if I leave my Honda Fit in an airport garage for 3 or 4 days, I always need to have the battery jumped. Does anyone have any ideas on a battery upgrade that can solve my problem. Thanks

Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thb51
Hi, I'm trying to find a battery upgrade that could fit my 2009 Honda Fit. As you know the space is limited and the sizes for the optima or odyssey batteries don't seem to match. I travel a lot so if I leave my Honda Fit in an airport garage for 3 or 4 days, I always need to have the battery jumped. Does anyone have any ideas on a battery upgrade that can solve my problem. Thanks
A standard group 51R is a drop in replacement for an '07. Don't know about an '09.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Solar Panel Charger

I usually plug in a solar panel charger when I go out of town for more than couple days or when I store my car in the Winter. It works very well. I have not had any problem to start my car yet.

I got it from eBay for around $20-$30.

New BWM or VM usually comes with the solar panel charger but dealers remove it when they sold the car. Can you imagine that new cars park in the port authority or dealer parking lots for how long?

Old 12-28-2009, 03:03 PM
battery again

I want to thank all the imput I have received on a replacement battery but it is confusing. I took my Fit to have the battery checked again and was told everything is working fine. My question is, is it normal for a new battery to die after 3 days in an airport garage? Secondly I was told that an Optima battery might help but not sure if would fit in the battery compartment for my 2009 Honda Fit. Someone mentioned, it fit the 2007. Does anyone know if there is a different configuration between the 2007 and 2009 sport? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
I have 09 Honda FIT Sport AT/NAV. I can park my car for more than a week without any issue. If I have to park it longer than that, I usually plug in solar panel charger. However, my car is stock without any entertainment upgrade.

I have not seen Optima battery that fit 09 Honda FIT compartment yet and the battery posts are in the right side.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the reply! I keep getting told by my Honda dealership that this can be a normal problem (battery dying after being idle for 3 or 4 days) and that my battery is fine. I contacted Honda America and like you, this is not a normal problem. They say they will look into it. Lets see if I ever hear back. Also you are correct that an optima battery will not fit in a 2009 Honda Fit (by battery measurements). Have you heard anything about the Odyssey batteries? Thanks again for all your help

Old 02-07-2010, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Did you find a solution to your problem? There's no way a battery in a new car should die that fast. Never. There must be something drawing power. Did you add any audio components? I had a CD Changer that I installed that made my battery go dead all the time. Took two trips to the dealership to figure it out. (And they even replaced the instrument cluster because of it.)

The Optima batteries are said to not fit my car (PT Cruiser), but I have had one in it for at least a few years now. I just have to twist one of the battery cable ends. I would think that if you can get the cables to reach and you can get it locked down, it should be fine. A larger battery can be a big help in the winter. Less strain on the starter.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by thb51
I want to thank all the imput I have received on a replacement battery but it is confusing. I took my Fit to have the battery checked again and was told everything is working fine. My question is, is it normal for a new battery to die after 3 days in an airport garage? Secondly I was told that an Optima battery might help but not sure if would fit in the battery compartment for my 2009 Honda Fit. Someone mentioned, it fit the 2007. Does anyone know if there is a different configuration between the 2007 and 2009 sport? Thanks for the help.

Alright here is what you do.

1. Go to where ever they sell Optima batteries and check it out. Leave your license and credit card or something at the counter, tell them youll be back and check it out. Most battery trays have some wiggle room for a larger / slightly different sized battery.

2. My batteries have typically been ok after a couple of days but they do struggle a bit if it goes 3-4 days without driving. (I had a knee injury recently, could not drive all week, car sat in driveway) I have a dying battery too.

3. You may need a replacement battery from an after market company. My family has always gotten sears batteries (Die Hard I believe, whatever the sears brand) and except for the time I ran my battery dry with stereo + parked + engine off. I have not had problems.

4. As long as the base of the battery fits in, you should be able to angle the battery cables differently and fit the larger battery in. If it locks down, AND IS SECURE, and you can get the cables attached, you are good to go.

5. WORST CASE SCENARIO : Carry twenty bucks and jumper cables.

Try 1-4. I have had battery problems but what you are describing should be fixable. Also consider your alternator. The battery may hold charge but thats no good if the alternator surface charges only.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
odyssey says the pc925 will fit for GE08 but i need to see it in person. Some people run the PC680 with no problems. But the PC680 offers about the same performance as the stock battery, it might last longer though. Right now I dont care about the weight and want to take care of the light flicker issue and get the pc925. i'll let you guys know if I get it and if it works in the stock bay. optima battery for 51r is 8073-167. they have it at the battery plus store in nj. i might swing by and try the yellow top. i'll let you know if it fits

Last edited by hobbes87; 02-10-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 51R on my '07, Batteries Plus shows a 51R to fit a Fit. Their website doesn't list year models, so 51R wil probably fit an '09 or a '10. Fit - Honda - Car and Truck - Batteries Plus

Last edited by spreadhead; 02-11-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:43 AM
My solution to battery problem

I had same problem with battery draining but have an aftermarket stereo and an amp. I believe one of them was the cause of draining the battery because I had same problem with last car from which they had also been installed in. I found the Platinum battery brain online and had my car stereo installer put it in. It has worked as it should and now have an extra layer of security against car theft and dont worry about a dead battery anymore. Product manufacturers website BatteryBrain And here is the cheapest place I could find to buy it for 72.99 plus shipping. http://www.adventurerv.net/battery-b...er-p-5236.html

Last edited by FFEMT1970; 02-11-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Only time I had a drain on the battery like that was with an after market accessory power plug that was left plugged in for 4 days without using the car. It's not normal to have it fail after 3 or 4 days in a parking lot--whoever told you that was wrong! If the battery is weak due to age, or you alternator is not charging properly, I'd believe it. Otherwise there has to be another drain on the power, or possibly really extreme cold temperatures for that time period, which can weaken it.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Im sure hes fixed the issue after 4 years bro lol

Old 01-28-2014, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Hopefully LOL! I did not realize the thread was that old, but even so, it might be valuable to others who have a problem.

Later,

Old 05-19-2014, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
>A standard group 51R is a drop in replacement for an '07. Don't know about an '09.

I totally disagree. The battery space between engine and electrical control box in my 2007 Fit Sport is only 9.0" and the 51R battery is 9-3/8" long. You'd need a crow bar and a sledge hammer to shoehorn that battery in. A 26R battery is a much better choice, it's only 8-3/16" long and fits just fine in the stamped steel factory tray.

The only trick is you need to fabricate a top mounting bar and drill a new hole in the rear of the battery tray to mount the factory hold down J-bolt about 1-½" towards the passenger side so the new top bar goes between the battery filler caps in the center of the new battery. The front factory J-bolt goes under the front lip of the battery tray.

My 151R factory battery had a wimpy 330 cold cranking amps. My new 26R has 540CCA! She spins over like a new sewing machine on sub-zero days now.

It's a simple, clean installation.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by FITMugen
I usually plug in a solar panel charger when I go out of town for more than couple days or when I store my car in the Winter. It works very well. I have not had any problem to start my car yet.

New BWM or VM usually comes with the solar panel charger but dealers remove it when they sold the car. Can you imagine that new cars park in the port authority or dealer parking lots for how long?
Thanks for sharing out your experience.. Well I will try your way and hope my car battery charging problem solves

Old 07-06-2014, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KwazyKwaig
>A standard group 51R is a drop in replacement for an '07. Don't know about an '09.

The only trick is you need to fabricate a top mounting bar and drill a new hole in the rear of the battery tray to mount the factory hold down J-bolt about 1-½" towards the passenger side so the new top bar goes between the battery filler caps in the center of the new battery. The front factory J-bolt goes under the front lip of the battery tray

I didn't have to do any of these things. I just cut the plastic tray for the 51R to fit and dropped the battery in. This was five years ago, no negative consequences.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:25 PM

Thanks for sharing out your experience.. Well I will try your way and hope my car battery charging problem solves

Well the charing problem has solved so thanks guys.