Electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Electrical problem?

Hey guys,
I have a CPO 2010 Sport Auto. Haven't gone "crazy" with mods or anything, but the list is in my sig. Electrically-related, I had a shop change the stereo, added an OBD Bluetooth adapter, and steering wheel controls for the radio. Also had Honda install the ambient light kit, and I've changed the tails and replaced a bunch of the bulbs with LEDs. I also have had the map lights removed for a while as I try to wrangle the time to replace the assembly with a Homelink kit.

I went on vacation for a week in November, came back, and my car started fine even though I left the BT adapter in my OBD port the whole week, so I figured it wasn't a problem.

Came back after a week away for Christmas, and Monday morning, car won't start, battery is dead. It was quite a bit colder than when I tried it in November, so I figured that was the issue. I tried hooking up my home battery charger, but after I got in the car to start it, the hazards were on, even though the button was not depressed. I pushed the button in just to make sure, and then after pushing it a second time to turn it back off, the signaling stopped, but I could still hear the relay clicking.

Since then, I've had a handful of occasions (five or six) where after I start the car, I have some extra warning lights showing on the dash. The first time it happened, it was in the morning on my way to work, and I had the airbag, TPMS, and one other (don't remember which) all lit. The car drove fine and when I shut it off after arriving at work, the lights didn't come back on. Yesterday, only the airbag light came on but nothing else. This morning, I went to breakfast. After I got back in the car an hour later, the D light on the shift position indicator began flashing after I got back in the car. I only drove about a quarter mile after that, turned it off, got back in the car 90m later, and everything was normal.

When it got super-cold last week, I also had a couple of times when the stereo just started conking out. I figured it might've been related to the temperatures, but dunno. The stereo has been working fine since the cold has passed.

I'm rather concerned that there's a sizeable problem but wouldn't know how to go about getting a dealership to review it, since it's like a ghost right now. Who knows if they're going to see a problem or not after cranking the car five times.

Any recommendations?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:14 PM
All your symptoms sound to me like they're related to inadequate battery voltage...you probably just need a new battery, especially if it's the original one for the car (i.e. you haven't replaced it yet). I'd take it to a parts store or whatever to get it load tested, which many places will do for free.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:48 PM
Is there a good/better aftermarket replacement for the OEM battery? Not that I mind getting the OEM but I know the thing is tiny and squirrelly and if I'm going to buy a new battery, I want a good one.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cutriss
Is there a good/better aftermarket replacement for the OEM battery? Not that I mind getting the OEM but I know the thing is tiny and squirrelly and if I'm going to buy a new battery, I want a good one.
not unless you want to modify the battery holder because there is only one battery that will fit the fit, it is the 151R Battery I believe is the only exact fit battery for it. Which kind of sucks I wish I could get a yellow top optima battery for when I get in dash dvd / navigation receiver that for sure.