Scangauge II used in the GK Fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Scangauge II used in the GK Fit

For such a cool device, I think the forums are a little spotty at best in terms of knowledge around this little gadget. After purchasing one I quickly learned that what is claims to do is not a guarantee it will do for you. There are subtle differences even within the model year of our GK Fit's. I do not think the Scangauge should be tossed out into a more general forum because each one is so closely related to the car model and year that it is installed in.

This thread is to discuss the learning experiences, best practices, and more, regarding this interesting little device. The second post place is reserved so that I can edit and add some of the best information into this quickly accessible area and some of the best information will not get buried away in later pages.

Picture courtesy of evilchargerfan:

Basic gauges - but this unit also does performance measurements and X-gauges, which are vehicle or manufacturer specific gauges that could be released in the future.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 11-16-2018 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Constant improvements
Old 11-16-2018, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
EDITED FREQUENTLY: This is the important info post - hopefully some of the best info from the following posts will be documented here.
__________________________________________________ _
Ordering directly from Scangauge is the only way I know of to be assured you get that latest firmware. Knowing there is old product still on the shelves, I would consider calling them to place an order. Later firmware is discussed in the following posts
Scangauge II Manuals
These gauges have all been questionable on the 2018 and later Fit's, but good news....Absolutely awesome news! New SG2 showed up today with the updated v4.52 firmware...
Intake air temp now works!
Coolant temp now works!
CVT temp now works!

FUN FACTS:
  • for those who don't run the SG2. The low temp - low temperature - cold engine light shuts off when coolant reaches 127-128 degrees. This is when it's 40 degrees outside. I'll report back if that number changes based on outside temps.
  • Fuel economy lights as they relate to the Throttle Position Sensor
    • Green <20% TPS open
    • Greenish-blue 20-25% TPS open
    • Blue >25% TPS open
  • For the cold air intake people: Outside temp in my ares is 30-40f right now. Intake air temp is almost always 1-2 degrees warmer than it is outside (which is awesome). A long stop light can push intake temps up +5 over outside temps. Running into a store and coming back out, the air will be 10-15 degrees warmer and take minutes of driving to get the intake air temps to come down. I'll add detail in the warmer months too.

Post 12 has been added to the thread. This announces the addition of the fuel level by percent in the tank and barometric pressure outside.

Rough estimate as I drive down the road.... 14.7 is psi at sea level. For ever 1000 feet of elevation, expect to lose about .5psi. And for every 1000 feet of elevation, you lose about 3% horsepower in a naturally aspirated car. So I can be a nerd and play with numbers as I road trip.. About 13.2psi would be 3000 foot elevation and about 9% down in horsepower.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 02-17-2019 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Constant improvements
Old 11-16-2018, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Firmware Updates

You can read in a previous post about the firmware updates and how purchasing a potentially older unit can be a pain in the rear. Scangauge is certainly fixing my issue, but I did not get to play with this new toy right away.

Summary: You have to mail the unit back to Scangauge to get firmware updates. I want CVT temps and they are on v4.50 and my unit came with v4.12.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...mperature.html

Last edited by CyclingFit; 11-16-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Some initial thoughts:
  • Wow, this thing does way more than I planned for.
  • RPM - Engine RPM is really cool with the CVT. Yes, I know I have a tachometer, but seeing fluctuation caused by the CVT is actually really nice. I think this could also be helpful on those mystery tanks where it' shard to judge driving into a headwind for 300 miles... Higher RPM or a change in TPS percentage from whatever feels normal.
  • AVG - Average Fuel Economy is awesome because you can adjust it for accuracy. If you know you are always 2mpg lower than the dash, no problem.
  • TPS - Throttle Position Sensor. This is really cool if you are trying really hard for fuel economy. 30% seems to be the area the cars ECON mode tries to stay under when the button is engaged. I have not tried comparing the percentages to the fuel economy lights, I have had them off since I got the car.
  • TFC - Trip Fuel Cost. This has been an eye opener. It's so much different to see what a trip cost instead of just looking at the cost of filling the tank. Putting a dollar figure on smaller trips is going to make me want to bust out the bicycle for my work commute! Last night I found out it costs me $9 to drive to school.
  • FWT / CWT - Coolant Temp. Edit: Works on v4.52 for sure. and does not work on v4.12 (relates to 2018+ models)
  • FIA / CIA - Intake Air Temp. Edit: Works on v4.52 for sure. and does not work on v4.12 (relates to 2018+ models)
  • CVT - CVT Temp through the X-gauge system. Edit: Works on v4.52 for sure. and does not work on v4.12 (relates to the 2018 models)
  • LOD or HP - Engine Loading or Horsepower being produced. I could see this being interesting on a road race track and gear selection along with wanting to know available power and relation to fuel consumption.
Just some opening thoughts. As I learn more about typical numbers, temps, rpms, etc... I'll work on sharing.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 11-17-2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: updated for new firmware version
Old 11-16-2018, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
my 4 fav gauges:

-fWT: because our oem gauge cluster does not display water temps (and from what I hear, some MY GK5 cannot display it even with a SGii device)
-AVG: average mpg displayed only retains until the car turns off. this is AWESOME (imo) because I was able to use this to determine what route is the best to take for my commute for best mpg (IE, the route with less hills, less traf, etc)
-MPG: instant MPG, how can people live without this thing?! I use this hand in hand with TPS to get valuable data/best mpg
-TPS: I try to keep this under 20 for best mpg. for reference, tps 13 = idle.

Interesting discovery, from using this thing long term .... when you coast down a hill .... instant MPG reading goes to "9999" and strangely, the AVG #s seem to .... IGNORE your mpg numbers. the next morning.... coast down that same hill .... but keep TPS at 15 and the AVG reading goes to say "100" .... the AVG #s will start to reflect that. Its crazy but.... I find that it boosts AVG mpg #s to purposely step on the gas pedal (a tiny bit) when coasting down hills

I'd like for someone else to test this theory with me.... and confirm if I am right.... or verify that I am crazy

Old 11-16-2018, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan

I'd like for someone else to test this theory with me.... and confirm if I am right.... or verify that I am crazy
The Fit's engine is not shooting any fuel on deceleration, especially with a manual transmission. I think that is what causes the 9999 numbers. I just checked on my way back from some errands on a very short trip and when it's reading 9999 my average mpg's skyrocket. I wish they didn't jump upward so quick, but I guess if the math works correctly they do come back down very quickly. I did not try lightly touching the pedal due to this being such a short trip.

Summary: I only did half the test but even on that half, we seem to have different results. My MPG's went way up on the SG2.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
its a strange behavior.

assuming I can somehow coast downhill in neutral for 1 mile .... you'd think my SG would tell me "youre getting 9999 mpg" but instead it almost turns itself off and the mpg gain is minimal (in neutral). my AVG of say, 40.0 mpg would barely increase to ... say .... 40.1 mpg.

but same scenario .... if I could coast downhill for 1 mile but keep the TPS at like say , 15 in 6th gear, sg would read at 100mpg and that makes my mpg avg #s increase and that increase reflects AVG MPG read out immediately. using the above 40.0 mpg ---> 40.1 mpg as a measuring stick .... the TPS in 15/100 mpg method would shoot up my 40.0 mpg to like .... 41.0 mpg.

again.... its strange and I have no explanation for it, I wish there were a safe way for me to record this behavior and share. one thing I CAN report back, is a tangible increase in my mpg average by the time I fill up the gas pumps

Old 11-17-2018, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Wouldn't coasting in a high gear be better mpg since you'd be using deceleration fuel cut off? Essentially car isn't using any gas to keep the engine running while coasting.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Absolutely awesome news! New SG2 showed up today with the updated v4.52 firmware...
Intake air temp now works!
Coolant temp now works!
CVT temp now works!

These have all been questionable on the 2018 and later, Fit's.

Thanks!

Last edited by CyclingFit; 11-17-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
SWEET!

to put a stamp on that victory, how about a pic showing all 3 temps from the sg and installed in a gk5 =)

Old 11-18-2018, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
SWEET!

to put a stamp on that victory, how about a pic showing all 3 temps from the sg and installed in a gk5 =)
Solid idea! It doesn’t show how it’s installed, but does show the gauges.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Stoked that the ScanGauge topic came up! I posted a previous post to help with info and realized ScanGauge has released a few new gauges! I just ran out to the garage and programmed them in to the Xgauge feature of the ScanGauge.

Added Barometric pressure and added it under the name BAR. You do have to imagine the decimal point, so 14.2 in the picture below.

Also added fuel level as a percent! Named FLV.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
Added Barometric pressure and added it under the name BAR. You do have to imagine the decimal point, so 14.2 in the picture below.
That's terrible. And it doesn't make any sense, as you pictures clearly show a decimal for average mpg (same number of digits).

Old 02-27-2019, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
seriously, howcome they CAN do the decimal on 1 gauge, but in another gauge they cannot?

Old 02-27-2019, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
That's terrible. And it doesn't make any sense, as you pictures clearly show a decimal for average mpg (same number of digits).
seriously, howcome they CAN do the decimal on 1 gauge, but in another gauge they cannot?
I am going to go out on a limb..... It seems the folks at ScanGauge are learning on the fly also... Just because they can get into the computer, it does not mean they get access to everything. I think that is why adding X-gauges is such an interesting process. There may be a chance that the ScanGauge is displaying what the computer is sending and the computer may not send the decimal. Just some guessing.