General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

E85 debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by litesong
Volcanos occur around the world. You must compare volcanos to all world wide man-made emissions covering all man-made activities. Just one man made emission, carbon dioxide, puts 30 billion tons per year (3 thousand thousand thousand thousand tons per century) into the atmosphere. Volcanos are a natural emission & the earth's balance of nature accounts for such. Volcanos output is 1% of the world man-made emissions of carbon dioxide.

The bubble dome is your idea. But we are in a bubble dome. Its called the atmosphere.

As for my cars: one is a 20 year old car which averaged 45MPG & is still going. The spanky new car you mention is nearly 2 years old & AVERAGES 31.4MPG, 4.4 MPG OVER the EPA highway MPG. Its average MPG is almost twice the average of the corporate MPG of vehicles on the road in America, not quite a gas guzzler. Some people's reports on their Honda Fits do NOT get as good MPG as my car.

Oh, & the CVT is smooth & elegant! If the American Fit had had a CVT(like they have in other countries), I would have bought the Fit.
Yeah I am sure you have done your research in depth; your figures all appear to be made up no matter what you talk about.

So what of the giant uncontrolled forest fires before man was here that raged over millions of acres... that was nature. Hell most trees are dependent on it for seeding. We now stamp out anything that even resembles a forest fire; The ones that do get away don't compare at all to uncontrolled ones from before we ever stepped foot on this contitnent. That put WAY MORE CO2 into the atmosphere than we ever did.

"Volcanos are a natural emission & the earth's balance of nature accounts for such. Volcanos output is 1% of the world man-made emissions of carbon dioxide."

This statement is totally untrue; Volcanic events can cause mass REAL climate change and easily eclipse what tiny impact humans have on the environment.

The Caliber is a peice of junk, so is the Accent by the way. Congrats on buying the two most useless, cheap and unreliable cars availaible on the market I hear GM is coming out with a new Aveo, why don't you go buy one of those and then come back and tell us all how it is superior to the Fit like you do with everything else.

Also, it is pretty obvious you are a giant TROLL at this point, one look at your posts on FitFreak can verify this. Every single post you put up is aimed at ticking somebody off, you promote a bad environment and I think you should be banned.

I ask moderators review his posts and ban this person please.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-25-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Population growing; plant life decreasing. Thats not balance.
Please show us how it's decreasing.

Urbanization often increases plant life as new suburban home owners plant tree, grass, shrubs to beautify. More often than not the result is more trees.

Not to mention old growth trees past 50 years old are carbon neutral wereas new growth takes in much more carbon than it puts out.

--D

Old 07-28-2008, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=Rockrover;378979]Please show us how it's decreasing.

Urbanization often increases plant life as new suburban home owners plant tree, grass, shrubs to beautify. More often than not the result is more trees.

Not to mention old growth trees past 50 years old are carbon neutral wereas new growth takes in much more carbon than it puts out.

Take AZ for example, they used to have good clean air but no its fouled by all those shrubbery planted by retired moving west. AZ air is getting as bad as CA. People and transportation devices are emirtting more CO2 than the plant population can regenerate to O2. Nut thats a long way from causing global warming; unfortunately we really don't know the CO2 range for earth. The samples are too close together.
Its a lot like taking your blood pressure 2 minutes apart and deciding if youre going to die or survive based on the trend defined by the 2 BP pressures. Simply not possible. Why 2 minutes? Thats far longer than the samples we try to use for global warming; remember the earth is at least 4.5 billion years old (well OK I'll concede the 'modern' earth life can be only the last 500 hundred million years) so we are using trends based on samples taken in the last 50 years - way less than 1 millionth of our 'production'. Try that on any production QC standard.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=Rockrover;378979]Please show us how it's decreasing.

Take AZ for example, they used to have good clean air but no its fouled by all those shrubbery planted by retired moving west. AZ air is getting as bad as CA. People and transportation devices are emirtting more CO2 than the plant population can regenerate to O2. Nut thats a long way from causing global warming; unfortunately we really don't know the CO2 range for earth. The samples are too close together to be meaningful.
Its a lot like taking your blood pressure 2 minutes apart and deciding if youre going to die or survive based on the trend defined by the 2 BP pressures. Simply not possible. Why 2 minutes? Thats far longer than the samples we try to use for global warming; remember the earth is at least 4.5 billion years old (well OK I'll concede the 'modern' earth life can be only the last 500 hundred million years) so we are using trends based on samples taken in the last 50 years - way less than 1 millionth of our 'production'. Try that on any production QC standard.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Ethanol is great in theory, but the amount of energy (and fossil fuels) that go into growing corn and converting it to ethanol are huge. You don't get far ahead. Could we study ethanol from non-food crops (eg switchgrass)? Or could we use some of the taxpayer funded corn subsidies and use it towards development of alternative energy, better hybrid car batteries or something similar?

I live out in the boonies, and I see firsthand what's needed to produce corn. Commercial agriculture is an *industrial* operation which produces quite a bit of pollution/byproducts. Fertilizer run-off alone is responsible for tainted drinking wells, fish die-offs, and now on a large scale ocean dead-zones. Modern US farming is agri-business, not the pretty green natural thing it appears to be on TV. So if we're pushing US farmers to up production, we're also seeing more marginal land pushed back into tillage, more fertilizer/pesticide use, higher demand on freshwater as more fields are irrigated, etc. How good is it for the environment if we're draining rivers and then refilling them with run-off tainted with nitrates, phosphorous, and heribicides?

Don't hate me but I think $4/gallon gas has been really good in a way. Suddenly high mpg cars are "green" and dealers can't keep them in stock. Windfarms are sprouting up all over. More R&D money is going into solar, which is getting cheaper. People are finally starting to think beyond fossil fuels.

Originally Posted by Rockrover
Are you saying development is good for the ecology & air quality ???

we are using trends based on samples taken in the last 50 years - way less than 1 millionth of our 'production'. Try that on any production QC standard.
I respectfully disagree. Glaciers, such as those in Greenland, are excellent for study and tell us quite a bit about climate tens of thousands of years ago.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by dank24
yea, but isn't that the price we should pay to slow down the greenhouse effect?
While the greenhouse gases of ethanol may be slightly lowered...not by 40%....they increase all sorts of other nasty stuff by much more...one being formaldehyde.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Yeah I am sure you have done your research in depth; your figures all appear to be made up no matter what you talk about.

So what of the giant uncontrolled forest fires before man was here that raged over millions of acres... that was nature. Hell most trees are dependent on it for seeding. We now stamp out anything that even resembles a forest fire; The ones that do get away don't compare at all to uncontrolled ones from before we ever stepped foot on this contitnent. That put WAY MORE CO2 into the atmosphere than we ever did.

"Volcanos are a natural emission & the earth's balance of nature accounts for such. Volcanos output is 1% of the world man-made emissions of carbon dioxide."

This statement is totally untrue; Volcanic events can cause mass REAL climate change and easily eclipse what tiny impact humans have on the environment.

The Caliber is a peice of junk, so is the Accent by the way. Congrats on buying the two most useless, cheap and unreliable cars availaible on the market I hear GM is coming out with a new Aveo, why don't you go buy one of those and then come back and tell us all how it is superior to the Fit like you do with everything else.

Also, it is pretty obvious you are a giant TROLL at this point, one look at your posts on FitFreak can verify this. Every single post you put up is aimed at ticking somebody off, you promote a bad environment and I think you should be banned.

I ask moderators review his posts and ban this person please.
Yes...natural made emissions can cause havoc too...but that's not what we are facing today. It's a FACT that since the industrial age, average rates of CO2 having risen from below 300 ppm (and this is confirmed to have been stable at this concentration for up to 600,000 years till the industrial age) to now well over 380 ppm.

The correlation between made-made emissions and increased CO2 emissions that harm us cannot be denied. The question scientists are now trying answer is where is the tipping point in our climate...not if its going to happen. But when, which way is it going to go, and where will it finally stabilize after it changes its metastable point we are at currently.

You also have to understand that we are releasing CO2 that has been sequestered millions of years in a very very short time span. Burning forests are NOT the same in terms of emissions as digging into the ground miles down and bringing up huge deposits of otherwise buried C02 that was probably never going to be released.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by Rockrover
Please show us how it's decreasing.

--D

How is it decreasing? Most of the most important biospheres and forests around the world have been reduced by half if not more. How is that not reducing? You're comparing what's lost from, say, the Amazon or Boreal forests to stupid pots of land in a suburb somewhere that's planted with fake grass?

Please tell us you're joking.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by mahout
so we are using trends based on samples taken in the last 50 years - way less than 1 millionth of our 'production'. Try that on any production QC standard.
Actually science stations like the Vostok in Antarctica have confirmed data from deep ice drilling in regards to C02 concentrations. This data has been correlated with other science stations half way around the world as well..one other being NPEO (North Pole Science Observatory)....not to mention the other ones in Antarctica such as Scott, McMurdo, Rothera, Sanae among some.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Deanwvu
The real future is all-electric cars with quick recharging connected to a grid supplied by solar/wind/nuclear power plants.

Ya know, stuff our government could easily invest in right now.. but wait, we got a war that has cost 520 BILLION dollars, and should hit a trillion before its over...

I bet a trillion dollars could've built a few productive solar/nuclear plants or a few thousand off-shore wind turbines, whatcha think?
Where are we going to put all the radioactive waste?

Old 03-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Fitty McFit
We should ask France, they have a lot of nuclear power plants over there.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
People don't seem to realize that electricity is not some kind of free energy. There isn't a magic fairy that comes down and powers your house with limitless energy.

Solar, Hydro, Wind, Geothermal and Tidal power are great, but the fact of the matter is most of that energy is produced by coal and nuclear. With billions of electric cars connecting to an already fragile grid the demand will spike and coal plants that may have been abandon due to old technology that puts more pollution in the atmosphere will be brough back online.

The slogan for EV's should be "Drive an Electric Car, Do your part to contribute to Acid Rain"

Originally Posted by Fitty McFit
This is actually a very good question, at least with CO2 the earth already has a huge capacity to deal with it over time. Trillions of life forms worldwide can use CO2... however not 1 lifeform can use spent radioactive fuel rods

Old 03-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Climatologist
Yes...natural made emissions can cause havoc too...but that's not what we are facing today. It's a FACT that since the industrial age, average rates of CO2 having risen from below 300 ppm (and this is confirmed to have been stable at this concentration for up to 600,000 years till the industrial age) to now well over 380 ppm.

The correlation between made-made emissions and increased CO2 emissions that harm us cannot be denied. The question scientists are now trying answer is where is the tipping point in our climate...not if its going to happen. But when, which way is it going to go, and where will it finally stabilize after it changes its metastable point we are at currently.

You also have to understand that we are releasing CO2 that has been sequestered millions of years in a very very short time span. Burning forests are NOT the same in terms of emissions as digging into the ground miles down and bringing up huge deposits of otherwise buried C02 that was probably never going to be released.
Big deal, before sea life the atmosphere would have been toxic. If anything we are helping return the Earth to a more natural state.

Becides I prefer global warming to another ice age anyday

The real solution to today's CO2 problem is giant atmospheric scrubbers. Maybe 50 stories tall and a few placed near every major city. They could collect the C02 and then brreak it down with an allge pond on the top that live off solar energy. Would produce oxygen and carbon, the next step would be synthetic fuels from it... maintaining the cycle would be more benificial to also maintaing the current environment instead of going to one extreme or the other.

People get too stupid about the environment. Yes man changes his environment around him, but on the scale of the universe who really cares what we do on this crusted ball of magma floating around a star?

Sorry, just bitter re-reading this thread. LiteSong is an idiot

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 03-27-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Big deal, before sea life the atmosphere would have been toxic. If anything we are helping return the Earth to a more natural state.

Becides I prefer global warming to another ice age anyday

The real solution to today's CO2 problem is giant atmospheric scrubbers. Maybe 50 stories tall and a few placed near every major city. They could collect the C02 and then brreak it down with an allge pond on the top that live off solar energy. Would produce oxygen and carbon, the next step would be synthetic fuels from it... maintaining the cycle would be more benificial to also maintaing the current environment instead of going to one extreme or the other.

People get too stupid about the environment. Yes man changes his environment around him, but on the scale of the universe who really cares what we do on this crusted ball of magma floating around a star?

Sorry, just bitter re-reading this thread. LiteSong is an idiot
Big deal? A natural state? Yeah one where you won't exist...maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Collectors (or scrubbers as you call them) are far less effective than changing the process. It's akin to being anorexic...eat crap and puke later to clean your system out...real smart.

We don't care what the universe does...it's a no brainer that what we do won't change the universe. But what we do to ourselves is a BIG deal. Perhaps you don't care but others do.

Sorry but I can't really argue with such ignorance.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
You know, the waste treatment facilities take your crap and pee and turn it into usable water. How is that any different other than srubbers that would simply remove C02 from the atmosphere.

Originally Posted by Climatologist
Big deal? A natural state? Yeah one where you won't exist...maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Collectors (or scrubbers as you call them) are far less effective than changing the process. It's akin to being anorexic...eat crap and puke later to clean your system out...real smart.

We don't care what the universe does...it's a no brainer that what we do won't change the universe. But what we do to ourselves is a BIG deal. Perhaps you don't care but others do.

Sorry but I can't really argue with such ignorance.
See, this is my point exactly Us not existing is the dream of every hard core environmentalist. Then the world would be perfect... yah for nothing!

"Man is ruining this world, Man is wiping out the species and pulluting our environment, Man this, Man that..."

Pissha, without Man we wouldn't be here debating this across a continent.

Maybe Man isn't such a bad thing, we are just changing the environment inadvertantly. Do you think the sea life from billions of years ago had a big forum and discusses oxygen pollution and how it was impacting the environment? If they did then we would not exist Maybe someday we will provide some genetically enhanced species of man the nessisary CO2 needed to carry on

Who knows, all I know is I am not going to worry about it

Old 03-27-2009, 10:01 PM
You know, the waste treatment facilities take your crap and pee and turn it into usable water. How is that any different other than srubbers that would simply remove C02 from the atmosphere.
That's very different. We have choices in how we make our fuels and resources. And we have chosen to take the cheapest and most polluting ways possible to make it and use it. And hence our situation we face today.

See, this is my point exactly Us not existing is the dream of every hard core environmentalist. Then the world would be perfect... yah for nothing!

"Man is ruining this world, Man is wiping out the species and pulluting our environment, Man this, Man that..."

Pissha, without Man we wouldn't be here debating this across a continent.
First off, just because this world is perfect doesn't mean it's for nothing. The world doesn't revolve around humans that's for sure.

Second, pissing where you eat on a scale that is affecting THIS SPECIES isn't too smart. Blah blah...the earth can take of itself that's for sure. But IF...and this is a concept that needs acknowledgment and understanding...IF we are to survive within a healthy balance on this planet, then changes will need to be made. We depend on so many other ecosystems to work right for us to live well. I honestly don't think most people understand that at all. They think we are living in a bubble.

Maybe Man isn't such a bad thing, we are just changing the environment inadvertantly. Do you think the sea life from billions of years ago had a big forum and discusses oxygen pollution and how it was impacting the environment? If they did then we would not exist Maybe someday we will provide some genetically enhanced species of man the nessisary CO2 needed to carry on

Who knows, all I know is I am not going to worry about it
Of course you're not. Dump your crap and let your kids and grand kids worry about it. And there lies the problem. A noble gesture to say the least.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Admittedly I am not that anti-environment. I go out of my way to recycle, all my lights are low wattage CFL's, I drive an economy car and I have walked to work for the past 6 years or so.

People need to understand that changing the world to quickly involves a lot of work just to make it sustainable. I work in the oil and gas business, it represents my livelyhood and puts food on the table for my family. I honestly believe that with work gas can be an even cleaner fuel that will be sustainable. Compare cars of today from those 20 years ago, they use less fuel, make more power and burn cleaner than ever. Given time they will only continue to get better. Plugging in cars to coal/nuclear power plants and using farms to grow corn for fuel while the starving masses of the world are dying is just stupid IMO.

Extreme views always irk me, most so called "environmentalists" are nothing more than hypocrites... speaking of which;

^^^ So I don't get it, you own a gas guzzling Focus and you are giving me a hard time?

lol, I can't even get 30mpg in my car!! Even on track days!!! Normally I average 33-35 with closer to 40mpg on the highway despite my mods

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 04-05-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:19 AM
Admittedly I am not that anti-environment. I go out of my way to recycle, all my lights are low wattage CFL's, I drive an economy car and I have walked to work for the past 6 years or so.
Well that's a good thing.

People need to understand that changing the world to quickly involves a lot of work just to make it sustainable. I work in the oil and gas business, it represents my livelyhood and puts food on the table for my family. I honestly believe that with work gas can be an even cleaner fuel that will be sustainable. Compare cars of today from those 20 years ago, they use less fuel, make more power and burn cleaner than ever. Given time they will only continue to get better.
You can't change chemistry. You may make the process cleaner, but you can't make change the inherent outcome of a combustion chemical reaction. And with more cars on the road, it's only going to get worse. If we don't get off carbon based fuels and soon, we're screwed.

Plugging in cars to coal/nuclear power plants and using farms to grow corn for fuel while the starving masses of the world are dying is just stupid IMO.
It depends. If we are going to replace the current nonsense of fossil fuels with some other source like biofuels, etc...there's no point. But going solar, wind, or even perhaps hydrogen in the future will be the way to go. The source needs to change...the process needs to change. Changing the process has more impact than trying to collectors to the current technologies.

Extreme views always irk me, most so called "environmentalists" are nothing more than hypocrites... speaking of which;
Extremist is not good but unfortunately we are fast approaching a condition in our planet's climate that regardless of where you want to place the blame, we're going to be affected and in a bad way. I honestly don't think we have much time left before we're at a point where the tipping point of change will be reached. There's nothing natural about the rate of change in our climate that we are seeing today.

^^^ So I don't get it, you own a gas guzzling Focus and you are giving me a hard time?

lol, I can't even get 30mpg in my car!! Even on track days!!! Normally I average 33-35 with closer to 40mpg on the highway despite my mods
Well...first off, I'm getting about 32 MPG with an auto Focus and that's not gas-guzzling by any means. Considering it's a 2001 year car, it does fairly well when compared to a car that's 9 years newer, smaller, and lighter with a smaller engine too. The Fit doesn't set any standard in fuel mileage or emissions for a car it's size, weight, engine size, or class.

Understand that there's nothing extreme about trying to survive on a planet we can't leave anytime soon. You either make it work...or you don't. You have no other choice. If that's extreme, so be it.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Solar and Wind sound great... but they are both so limited they are practically useless when it comes to trying to meet the needs of the masses.

The worlds best friend right now is cars like the Fit for a number of reasons; safe, economical, fun to drive, usable interior space, reliable.

Gas is actually pretty clean compared to the cars of our parents, once high pressure fuel delivery systems really get going the efficiency is going to spike again.

I think the biggest factor in fixing our problem is having proper transit systems in place that don't make people feel like cattle. Because honestly, if I am going to be guided and pushed around I would rather be in the comfort of a Mercedes then beside a beer-stink homeless guy. I don't know about you guys, but here in Calgary I am convinced I am going to get stabbed on the C-train... and to top it off it always breaks down. I miss the Vancouver skytrain sometimes!!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Solar and Wind sound great... but they are both so limited they are practically useless when it comes to trying to meet the needs of the masses.
If more money and research is poured into these technologies, there's no reason why they can't be viable and practical. There's so little money put into these areas but still...even after that...look how far they have come.

The worlds best friend right now is cars like the Fit for a number of reasons; safe, economical, fun to drive, usable interior space, reliable.
I don't disagree. I like the Fit and would have bought one if it were a hybrid or had at least a start/stop system in it. What disappoints me about the Fit are the lousy emissions scores it gets. For a car its size, weight, and engine displacement, the best it can muster emissions-wise for smog pollutants is an average score. Why should that` be? A Mazda 6 with a 170HP engine and a much larger and heavier chassis emits 35% less...a GTI with a 2L turbo and 200 HP produces for times less. That's nonsense. They can do better and should do better.

Gas is actually pretty clean compared to the cars of our parents, once high pressure fuel delivery systems really get going the efficiency is going to spike again.

I think the biggest factor in fixing our problem is having proper transit systems in place that don't make people feel like cattle. Because honestly, if I am going to be guided and pushed around I would rather be in the comfort of a Mercedes then beside a beer-stink homeless guy. I don't know about you guys, but here in Calgary I am convinced I am going to get stabbed on the C-train... and to top it off it always breaks down. I miss the Vancouver skytrain sometimes!!
Perhaps if we spent more money on helping people, fixing our transport systems, and infrastructures, we'd not need to sit next to homeless people. And I miss Vancouver too.

Quick Reply: E85 debate