General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

E85 debate

Old 04-07-2015, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Mahout, I think you misunderstand the point of the converter. It's designed to allow a car to run E85.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Scratch&Dent
Mahout, I think you misunderstand the point of the converter. It's designed to allow a car to run E85.
Indeed, I did misunderstand.. Sounded like making E85 into E90 to me.
However, simply thinking you get more fuel injected to account for the lower heat of combustion because the fuel pressure is raised is not a good choice unless you change injectors, which would also mean you don't have to raise the pressure. I suggest you contact RC Engineering for resized injectors instead. Course that means changing injectors with the fuel used.
as for increasing the fuel injected the problem with E85 is the amount of ethanol in the fuel. Increasing the ethanol increases the corrosion possible in the usual fuel system.
Automotive companies who specify a system capable of using E85 have different metals, gaskets, and seals which are more resistant to ethanol and water components in the fuel line.
Is the use of E85 really that important ?

Old 04-09-2015, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
I have two curiosities:
1. just what are those 'converters' converting the ethanol content to ? Ethane and water ? As long as the water stays in the fuel there's no gain - and likely a loss due to loss in combustion temp from heating the water.
2. what does injector pressure have to do with ethanol conversion? injectors ae designed to operate near or at the maximum pressure drop of the injector to increase spray properties.increasing injector pressure has al most nothing to do with increased power as the pressure drop across the injector increases with increasing inlet pressure.
BTW gasoline laced with 10 % ethanol will have the same flow properties as gasoline. the flow properties of pure ethanol are not much different than gasoline and at a 9:1 ratio the difference is practically indifferent.
the solution to havivg ethanol free gas is not putting the ethanol there to begin with.

i have seen people use this for performance just curious the converter was a box that hooks to the injectors as far as emission could care less / even if i did convert it would most likey need retuned

Old 04-10-2015, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lakia5524
i have seen people use this for performance just curious the converter was a box that hooks to the injectors as far as emission could care less / even if i did convert it would most likely need retuned
ah. so its a shutoff delay that extends the injection time.say from OEM 3 milliseconds to 4 milliseconds at that load from the ECU. that would increase power. emissions ?
if the combustion process went OK there may not be any feedback from the oxygen sensor to interrupt the injection.
curious if anyone has tried that on E90 or E0 fuels. wouldn't help mpg I would guess but just might raise the hp and torque curves enough to be very useful.
did the people who used tis for performance gain have any negative results ?
may have to test one of those things.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
www.change2e85.com
this is what i was looking at no performance info mostly for the emissions

Old 05-19-2015, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dank24
it would benefit the US economy because we would not be depending on other nations, since we would produce the ethanol here in the US.
it also drives the cost of food up because corn is a major producer of ethanol and a major constituient of food products;
it also has much lower heat of combustion than gasoline formulations and the lower mpg means higer costs for transportation
it also is a corrosive element in gas because it absorbs water which leads to acids in the fuel system
only dumb politicians and green nits even think ethanol is a good idea. yeah, lets propose something so we look like we're smart cause the population isn't smart enough to know better. same for ObamaCare: note that the proponents can't show us how the $3 trillion in healthcare costs can be spread over the 100 million income tax RETURNS (representing 135 million income earners) and 57 million seniors on Medicare. Even if the Medicare deduction is doubled the remainder means the AVERAGE income tax return wil pay $28,000 a year on average income of $54,000. How about your part of the federal debt? those 100 milliuon returns owe $180,000 now and increasing. We still vote the dummies in.
and we don't depend that much offshore now.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
it also drives the cost of food up because corn is a major producer of ethanol and a major constituient of food products;
it also has much lower heat of combustion than gasoline formulations and the lower mpg means higer costs for transportation
it also is a corrosive element in gas because it absorbs water which leads to acids in the fuel system
only dumb politicians and green nits even think ethanol is a good idea. yeah, lets propose something so we look like we're smart cause the population isn't smart enough to know better. same for ObamaCare: note that the proponents can't show us how the $3 trillion in healthcare costs can be spread over the 100 million income tax RETURNS (representing 135 million income earners) and 57 million seniors on Medicare. Even if the Medicare deduction is doubled the remainder means the AVERAGE income tax return wil pay $28,000 a year on average income of $54,000. How about your part of the federal debt? those 100 milliuon returns owe $180,000 now and increasing. We still vote the dummies in.
and we don't depend that much offshore now.
The government subsidizes corn, otherwise it would never be used as a viable alternative because it would cost too much.

That's also why corn syrup is in everything at the grocery store.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Redd
The government subsidizes corn, otherwise it would never be used as a viable alternative because it would cost too much.
Yep, that's correct. And unfortunately we have to reimburse the government for that subsidy.