General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

First Honda. First Fit. First Intro. First Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 10:18 PM
First Honda. First Fit. First Intro. First Problem

Hello Everyone. First post on the forums although i've parused them and was part of the reason why I purchased a FIT.

Bought a Red Manual Fit Sport last summer in 2007 from a dealership in Houston, Tx. This was our first Honda and everyone praised the manufacturer stating that there was no need to purchase the extended warranty.

Love our car. Love everything about it. 6 months and 9000 miles later we have a problem.

My wife drives the car daily to work and complained about problems with the AC. So I took it into a Honda Dealership figuring that whatever the issue is it must be covered under warranty. Wrong reasoning. The service manager calls me back and says that they found a hole in the AC condenser and that it is the result of a rock that shot through it.

Much to my surprise he said that it is not covered under warranty because it is due to normal wear and tear. Parts + Labor + Tax = 794 dollars. On top of that if chose to take the car elsewhere, I must pay the Honda Service Center a diagnostic fee of 106 dollars.

- Is this a common problem with Honda or Honda Fit? We have owned other cars and have not had a problem like this. Especially a car that has less than 6 months of city travel.

- I will request a copy of our warranty from the honda salesman that sold us our car. I can't seem to find a copy of a warranty for Honda's Bumper to Bumper warranty online. Should this issue be covered by the Honda Fit standard bumper-to-bumper warranty?

What should I do?

Thank you.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Retired Moderator
First off welcome to the Forum!

I dont think its a specific problem with the Fit, it sounds like a random type problem becuase you got unlucky and a rock flew up into on part of the car where it caused damage. I have never once seen a similar problem like this with a Fit, i think it can happen to any car. From what it sounds that should be under the three year standard warrenty that comes with the car..I would call another dealership to see what they say.. Or talk to a head manager at your dealer, and complain and see if that works! Good luck!

Old 11-11-2007, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
I would call Honda of America. Don't stop until you get your money back.

My A/C went out in our Accord while driving cross-country from Arizona to Florida.

They said the condenser or compressor got a small hole in it. They fixed it under warranty. They tried to say the same thing - that it might have been a small rock.

I would fight like mad to get your money back. How can they say that it was a small rock? Did they find a rock in it?

This is a problem with the dealer that you took the car to - and your Honda. Think of the million (there's a million Fit's on the road, right?) Fit's that are on the road, in many countries. If a small rock could easily put a hole in your A/C - they would have changed the design by now.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Resolved with the dealer, but not for free.

The dealers stance was that because it was due to a road side hazard (rock) it was not covered by warranty. They did offer a discount on the work though and now I have to pay only 560 dollars.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
This is a grey area, road hazards are tought to prove and disprove. If you have the means and the time to fight it, then I agree with above and fight. But I can argue from both sides as to why it should or shouldn't be covered. So for me I try to negotiate a price I am happy with and move on.

As for this being a Fit problem, not specifically that I have seen or heard about. I have seen Boxsters on the track get rocks punch through raidiators, happened to my NSX as well. Condensor, depends where its located on the car. It can happen to anyone, just bad luck that it happened to you.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
Just bad luck. Sucks.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:34 AM
its good you got a discount, but here in canada i could have claimed it on my insurance paid the deductible of 300 and not had any change to my rates.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:55 AM
Sorry about your unfortunate damage... seems like honda would take care of your a/c... but I guess some discount on the work is better than none.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:46 AM
The way I work these situations is to get quotes from a few places first with the explicit "don't do any work that will cost me until you call me and get approval". The dealerships I deal with here in Alberta give me a quote at no charge. Then go to the place that's reputable and cheap. In my experience, anytime you take a car into a mechanic and say "Its broken, I don't know what's wrong with it" they milk you for as much $$$ as possible.

Just my $0.02

Old 05-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Luvs Dah b00st!
why would they fix the a/c a warranty cover factory defects the factory cant keep a rock on the road. thats like getting a nail in your tire and going to the dealer and trying to get a new tire. fact is that shitt happens and we just got to deal with it good luck bro and welcome to fit freak

Old 05-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Sounds like a freak thing to me.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi all,

This website was advertised in my gmail when I got my last email from Honda. Looks like a law firm is starting a class action suit against Honda for not honoring the warranty. I'm not sure about all the details but I thought everyone here with problems would like to know about it. Here's the link:

Honda Lawsuit

Hopefully some of you can get your 900 bucks back.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
wow that is a very interesting link. Thanks! There is definitely the OP who had this problem, and i bet at least one other person on these forums.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
There have been others on FitFreak with this issue. There are several threads discussing ways to cover the big holes in the lower grill so this can't happen. I haven't done it yet but I am concerned about this issue. Already had a fog light crack on me (disproportionately expensive as well).