General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Congrats Kenchan,

Your my Hero.............

Old 08-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
Congratz Ken!! That car is amazing!
WE need pics!
thanks TOOL! yah, i only got like one pic still. i'll post it later. i told the dealer not to detail the car before delivery to minimize swirls so it's not very clean. i mean, it's clean but not weekend car clean.

Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
I NEED PICS! and now you need to change your sig haha
hahaha, yah, i noticed that too this am...will fix that momentarily. and about the evo you asked...yah, im not a big fan of sedans in general. i like 2dr coupes/sport cars and boxy cars like our Fits. if i was to get a sedan it would've been the TSX V6 for sure and just enjoy the techno gadgetry and comfort.

Originally Posted by tanukifit
Congrats Kenchan,

Your my Hero.............
hahaha, thanks tanuki.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
here's a terrible phone pict...

Initial driving impressions of the 370Z:

1) side mirror kinda gets into your way when you're going through an interesection...i need to get use to it.

2) large blind spots, but i think i can get use to it with some mirror adjustment. it was the same way with my G initially. i have no issues driving the G nowadays...

3) clutch is pretty light, but not light like the FitS. comparable to the STI's clutch.

4) clutch engages about mid way on the pedal travel so it can be a pretty relaxing ride. STI's clutch engages close to the floor, very sporty.

5) originally thought the S-Mode (auto rev match on downshift) on a MT is for boneheads, but i tried it and it makes driving surprisingly relaxing... like i can use it when im just crusing around town, or shut it off and do traditional heel&toe when i want to 'drive.' it's actually pretty werd... ok, i admit, i like it.

6) since the car is new i haven't pushed it at all, but accelerates well with plenty of torque down low as expected.

7) nice brakes. as with my brembo's on my G, these sports package brakes (akebono) does very well. i'll get nismo pads next time around.

Interior:
My 370Z is a base model with sports package so no leather (as i wanted it), no big nav unit or no fancy stereo or anything like that. just the basic necessities for motoring. im not a huge fan of the boombox gauge trims or any of the little gauges on the dash, but its functional and very easy to read. everything is at the correct height, controls are all within reach. seats are very comfy and it holds you real well.

Exterior:
My original choice was the platinum graphite or this white pearl color, but after comparing my silver to the other colors side by side i started liking the silver more. although it's called Brilliant Silver it is whiter than the Billiant Silver on my G...it's real nice. my other choice was black, but the hyper silver colored wheels stood out too much on the black so passed. i dont plan on getting aftermarket wheels for this car. it's already sporting 19x9 and 19x10's which are the same sizes as my G's SSR wheels.

looking at how the wheels are slighly tucked into the wheelwell and how the wheel gap is even, i dont think i need to lower the car. if i do lower it later on, i'll run the nismo damper+spring kit but the suspension is very well tuned for street. firm but not jarring and plenty of stroke. i did several tight left/right slalom style moves, but everything feels dynamic...like a BMW.

i dont want to make my Z a dress-up car like my G... rather want to tune it a little for performance only.

accessories...
- V1 was ordered today so i'll hardwire it this weekend.
- going to get a nismo knob later on tonight...

mods planned...
i'll be doing a JWT dual intake down the road along with the nismo exhaust. just with the intake people are netting over 7whp... werd. and with nismo easy to get over 10whp...so those two alone im expecting a pretty good jump in numbers.

conclusion...
i need to drive it waaay more to know the car, but for now im happy that i got it.

i sat in my G right after and it's a night/day difference. although it might seem like two similar cars they are completely different. only similarity is the V6 performance and gear box, i think. so the G will remain the beauty queen touring car and 370Z will be the one im going to "drive."

when i drove the FitS this am... damn... sooo much easier to drive than the 370Z. first off, visibility is improved by 200000%. i can see everything around the car. have to say, i made a great decision when i got the FitS's. the conveninece, utility, fun driving it, etc.etc. makes sense to keep it.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Banned
NICE! i'm so jealous, the 370z is 100x better looking than the 350z IMO glad you like it so far

Old 08-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Aurite!!!!!, nice new toy....
Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com
I usually order from these guys for my Nissans

Old 08-27-2009, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
NICE! i'm so jealous, the 370z is 100x better looking than the 350z IMO glad you like it so far
Thanks. yah, I was never a big fan of the 350Z's unless it was modified extensively. The 370Z's look good in stock form. Best is there is no silly 4x4 wheel gap on the front like most normal j-cars.

Originally Posted by tanukifit
Aurite!!!!!, nice new toy....
Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com
I usually order from these guys for my Nissans
Thanks tanuki. And thanks for the linky. stopped by the shop, but they were sold out (nismo shift knobs). oh well. There's a few more shops that deal nismo parts so will give them a shot as well.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Retired Moderator
Its beautiful! Sounds like an amazing car! Any good 370Z forums?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
Its beautiful! Sounds like an amazing car! Any good 370Z forums?
Thanks TOOL!

Yah, the370Z.com or something it was called. I forgot but was able to download the service manual so I'm off to a great start. going to check out all the DIY's to get a mental image of the processes.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
so my 370Z's battery is now fully charged, tire pressure adjusted, lug nut torque checked. functionally ready to motor but not yet visually...

any time i purchase a new car i follow this fundametal check list:

BEFORE DELIVERY:
1) Exterior - Check all panels from top to bottom (and under) including the roof for any imperfections such as - bird crap etching, hail damage, door dings, scratches on the lowest part of the panels/bumpers/painted mudflaps if so equipped. also check wheel lip for any curb rashes.

If the salesman tells you 'oh we can fix that'... well, be skeptical. if they say ' oh, we can air brush that out' run. airbrush can work great or it can make it look worse. it depends on the tech/artist working on the car.

2) Interior - check to make sure all noted interior options are installed or in the trunk if not already layed out..such as - floor mats. Check all panels for scratches and scuff marks especially door panels, dash, center console... and dont forget to check seatbacks!

believe or not, i find a lot of these imperfections on 'new' cars at the lot.

Also, i always tell the dealer NOT TO DETAIL THE CAR before delivery. more on this later...

AFTER DELIVERY:
1) Check tire pressure - you will be amazed how lousy dealers fill or dont fill tires before delivery.

2) Battery - usually your battery is low on charge at delivery. if you drive your car daily with at least 10miles you're fine, but cars like my Z where it's going to sit in the garage all week long should be (or highly recommended to be) maintained on a battery manager. (very cheap under $25 on amazon, works great).
Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

Regardless of which manager you use, make sure it's not a 'trickle charger' but a charger with digital float mode. quite different as float is digitally controlled, where as 'trickle' just keeps charging the battery at a very low rate but could over charge. battery managers like mine will start re-charging automatically when the battery is discharged. for example, if i was messing with the stereo or something without running the engine the manager will detect drain and start charging. very cool.
prolones the life of the battery.

On my 370Z, it took the battery manager over 24hrs before the battery was fully charged. (charge rate is low...like 1A or something max). this is kinda typical for new cars. batteries are pretty much running 75% or less at the time of delivery.

3) Wheel lug torque - if you have a torque wrench set it to 80lbs/ft and check the lug nuts. believe it or not, ive found some cars (honda's especially) where the lugs backed out alittle bit. not enough to cause a safety concern, but i just like to know that my lugs are tight.

4) Decorative options - dealer installed options such as mudflaps or rear wing, aero parts...definitely check their work. sometimes i find loose or even missing screws, mis-aligned installs, etc. i dont trust the dealer who installs these items.

5) Panels - ok, so you're satisifed with how the car looked at the lot... often times dealers will swirl your car when they wash...even worse when they 'detail' your car. this is why I ask the dealer not to detail the car during delivery. now if it's a dd who cares, but again if you're anal like me, make sure you tell the dealer not to detail it. they will often times grant that request.

Cars that come from overseas usually have different panel protection on them...such as the white vinyl that can leave behind some adhesive, cosmoline..sticky gooey substance that can run down out of the nooks and crannies after the wash.

First thing i do for panels (well haven't got a chance yet since it's been raining this week) wash the car. then clay, polish (mild polish), and wax. i also wash and seal (polymer) the wheels. for any cosmoline smears, i use WD40/SimpleGreen/RC car motor spray to remove and wax afterwards.

hope to get going on this project tomorrow.

hey my V1 arrived.

Last edited by kenchan; 08-28-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Banned
clean her up and get the zele kit!

Old 08-28-2009, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
clean her up and get the zele kit!
yah, on the Z, im going to keep it pretty much stock appearance wise.

i dont want to make this car a dress-up car since i already have that (G). kinda want to keep the Z and G to have separate intentions and build off its own characteristics....if that makes any sense.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Banned
what are your plans for the Z?

fap fap fap

Old 08-28-2009, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
hummm....

Old 08-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Banned
Old 08-28-2009, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
yah, definitely looks good.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Detailed the Z. No picts yet but looks fantastic.

Just the usual...clay, mild polish, Griot's Best of Show wax followed by SprayOn Wax as LSP. For preventative maintenace on the door panel and kick panel scuffage, Prima Nero'ed.

Also painted the exhaust flanges that were peeking from under the rear bumper using matte black engine enamel.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Retired Moderator
Sweet!
Pics now! Interior and exterior

Old 08-30-2009, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
here's a couple of snap i took this am... i have no camera talent so it's over exposed but you get the picture.

pretty good for stock height... actually for my motoring, perfect. i go
through some rougher roads at times. car takes the bumps like a champ.

i like this angle.

19x10 rear with 275/35/19 RE050A

check out these 4 piston akebono brakes. these stop the car very nicely.

19x9 with 245/40/19 RE050A

Redline 7500rpm.

Last edited by kenchan; 08-30-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added interior pict
Old 08-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Banned
SOOO SEXY!!!!!!! now mod it!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks. yah, I'm pretty happy with the car as it is for now. I've dealt with mods on the G and especially the suspension is quite tricky to get right as the multi-link is a pretty complex system. Did back to back alignment trial and error 4x (each time costing $125 lol) and it was a pretty time consuming mod. Back then I had more time, these days not so much. At the end the G drives very well at the ride height I have it at and I'm satisfied but not sure if I want to go through with that again. As mentioned a few times I'm not looking for a dress-up car.

So, going to give the aftermarket folks a tad more time to increase their offerings before making any moves. . Hahaha

I would like to upgrade the stereo though.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?