General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2008 Fit Sport MT for a stick shift noob?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by ClaytonS15
My fit also sometimes is difficult to shift into 1st after sitting at a light or something. I figured out that if you put it into 2nd first and then into 1st with the clutch in, this problem disappears, cold or warmed up. Try it! By the way, my car has 46,000 miles on it (I just bought it used) and does have a replaced clutch. However, I have no idea how bad the previous owner's shifting technique was, so I cannot comment on the durability of the clutch. I drove a 1995 Saab 900 to 153,000 miles on the original clutch with no problems, so I don't expect any problems the way I drive.

hey how about that I have the same thing!!!! And same resolve!
(please ppl pay particular attention to the sitting at a light part) when my car is cold it doesn't want to shift into first either, pretty darn hard. BUT i can understand that one.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:26 PM
NMG
My Fit is probably the most forgiving MT car I've ever driven. I think I've only stalled it twice in about 9 months and those instances were completely my fault. I've never had an issue getting used to the clutch or having it be "picky".

I honestly can't imagine there being an easier car to learn to drive standard on than the Fit. Just get someone to show you and take it easy at first. Go slow, be patient and you'll have the hang of it in no time. Also, don't drive it hard until you are really comfortable with what you are doing. I wouldn't worry too much about breaking anything. So long as you are patient and have someone teaching you, you'll be fine. Like others have said, it may help to read up on MT cars and how they work. It might help it all "make sense" a little more.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
should be a pretty easy car to learn. light clutch, very accurate
shift gates. but it will take determination if you want to get real
good at it.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
I recomment MT. The Fit is my first MT car and I didn't know how to drive a MT before. I learned in about 3 days. And as mentioned before, the clutch is very forgiving.

For hills, you might want to use the handbrake. Thats what I did while I was learning. Put the car in gear, clutch all the way down, right hand on the handbrake, then when you feel the clutch engage, depress the handbrake slowly, then drive off and act like your cool.

As for driving shoes, I like converses. Very original.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
for the record i can get my fit going no gas... also i had a tough time with first ans also 2nd a few times... but i switched to a skunk 2 knob... no issues now, the weight helps as for driving shoes... i use piloti spyders... way nice but not cheap (worth the money though) and if my clutch goes early im gonna be hella pissed! but ill drop a CF clutch in... any one know where to get one (or if one is made) and roughly how much it would be plus instalation?

Old 04-01-2008, 02:59 AM
Thumbs up

Wow that was a great read! I wish my professors would explain my course material in this fashion, easy to understand and reassuring. Thanks!

I'm starting to research deeper into how a MT works, and man, this stuff just draws you in! As I am visualizing it, it almost feels like I'm driving. Seriously can't wait... Like most ppl said, I think knowing how it works can definitely speed the process of learning/mastering a stick shift car. It keeps me motivated too.

Some of you mentioned that it's difficult to shift to first gear. Are you guys talking about shifting to first from a neutral position or shifting down. Just curious, so I know when to anticipate it. I used to be very meticulous about things, perfectionist to put it simply. But I think if you have a perfectionist's point of view on things, you'll always find flaws, which could discourage you from making a decision, and even hinder you from making the right decision. The fit in my opinion, is a very solid car overall. I've read consumer reviews, tons of threads on this website, and I know that even if I spot a flaw, it won't take away the essence of the Fit.

SD_MR_FIT: I live in La Jolla, San Diego. I'm a student at UCSD. If you're close, you should show me your Fit sometime!

The traffic here doesn't seem bad at all. When I go back up north to LA, for my ortho appointments (I still got a yr of everlasting torture), I average about 80-85 miles / hr. And city traffic ain't too bad either. Hills, there are some around my school campus, but it's usually in the middle a drive, rarely near places where you'd park, etc.

My next question is, say you really take good care of your clutch, you rarely stall, don't harass your car too much. How long should the FIT clutch last? Just wondering because if it's something that I regularly have to replace no matter what, then in the long-run, my logic is, even if manual saves gas, the cost spent in replacing/repairing the clutch would just nullify the benefits. And for those who have replaced your FIT clutch, how much did you pay to replace/repair it?

Sorry about all the small detailed questions. I wouldn't ask if my parents were financially helping me out, but I forcefully told them that I'd like to be independent so I'll develop a sense of allocating money better. A part of me regrets that decision, but I think it's a good discipline overall. But right now, I'm still making impulse buys... Preordering a PS3 soon lol~!

Anyways, I really appreciate all your help. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Last edited by live2express; 04-01-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:08 AM
The stock clutch can last over 100k miles if you don't beat on it.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:23 AM
I was just in La Jolla last week drooling over the super cars at symbolic motorsports. haha. I wish i would have known about ya. I could have stopped by and said hi. I love La Jolla and i cant wait for my next trip out there.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:18 AM
response in green below VVV

Originally Posted by live2express
Wow that was a great read! I wish my professors would explain my course material in this fashion, easy to understand and reassuring. Thanks!
Good to know. I will note this when I give my next demo and or lecture.

...... I think knowing how it works can definitely speed the process of learning/mastering a stick shift car. It keeps me motivated too.
Its all about the concept indeed

Some of you mentioned that it's difficult to shift to first gear. Are you guys talking about shifting to first from a neutral position or shifting down.
Its three fold actually (well for some of us)
1)when going slow its hard to get into 1st unless like at 5mph. Unless revmatching or double declutching
2)when the car is cold and the revs are naturally high its sometimes hard to get into first
3)Even when the car is warmed up and the idle is "normal" its hard to get into first when at a light (already at a stop and trying to go)
I am fine with the first two, its the third one that bothers me

Just curious, so I know when to anticipate it.
You may not experience all of the three I mentioned. Many apparently have not. And I believe #3 is the sample variation problem I mentioned earlier. (anotherwords I believe I got a psuedo lemon [for many reasons])
I used to be very meticulous about things, perfectionist to put it simply.
Ditto, but unfortunately mine might be a dissorder but really and haaahaaa

But I think if you have a perfectionist's point of view on things, you'll always find flaws, which could discourage you from making a decision, and even hinder you from making the right decision. The fit in my opinion, is a very solid car overall. I've read consumer reviews, tons of threads on this website, and I know that even if I spot a flaw, it won't take away the essence of the Fit.
Thats good because its a fantastic versatile car!

....My next question is, say you really take good care of your clutch, you rarely stall, don't harass your car too much.
Stalling wont necessarily do anything to your clutch. Constantly riding your clutch causes premature wear and tear.

How long should the FIT clutch last?
From past experience and observation I would say on average between 80k and 130k. It varies greatly, and from person to person. Hondas are decent with regards to it. I have had far more problems in AT's over my life time with issues that pretty much all of them had between 60k and 120k, all which cost more than your average clutch repair.

wondering because if it's something that I regularly have to replace no matter what, then in the long-run, my logic is, even if manual saves gas, the cost spent in replacing/repairing the clutch would just nullify the benefits.
You may not even own the car long enough. There are too many variables IMH(of most H)O to figure those stats out and come to any reasonable conclusion soley based on them.

Last edited by Snap Fit; 04-01-2008 at 04:21 AM. Reason: a typo for the record books....HAHAHAHAHA
Old 04-02-2008, 08:29 AM
....My next question is, say you really take good care of your clutch, you rarely stall, don't harass your car too much.
Stalling wont necessarily do anything to your clutch. Constantly riding your clutch causes premature wear and tear.

As my friend put it: "it's revvvvvvvv, shift, revvvvvvvv. not revvvvvvvv shiiiiiiffffttttt, revvvvvvv" keep those shifts quick and concise and you should be golden

(It wouldn't quote a quoted part, so I had to hi-jack that line, hope you don't mind..)

Old 04-02-2008, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
When my dad taught me, he had me start and a stop a lot (like every 20ft), just so I could get used to the clutch. first gear is the most important and the hardest to get into (my opinion)

When my mom taught me, I just stalled. everytime.

I am currently teaching my girlfriend with the same method as my dad. It is working quite well.