General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

AMAZING auto photographer/Siphon cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
well these days photograohy and graphic design pretty much comes hand in hand. Not for me but I'd like to.

I was commenting on if you spend more time in a computer than shooting then you're not a photographer comment. I do basic touchups and exposure/white balance corrections in CS3 and that's it and that alone is very time consuming.

But I do have to laugh when people say it's an "Amazing" shot cause that is OBVIOUSLY not the original shot and does pass the line to graphic designing.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
I see what you mean. For me at least I usually don't spend more time in Photoshop than how long it too me to setup and shoot the shot. For film I think that is a key point, it took the photographer much longer to develop and edit the pictures in a darkroom than it took to shoot them. With digital that time is greatly reduced to the point that I believe everyone who's been doing it for a while can do all their RAW editing and whatnot in the same or less time than it took to setup and shoot it. So if you're out shooting for an hour you can probably expect to be editing for an hour if all the shots turned out good. But if you're shooting for 5 minutes and still editing for an hour than you're doing some advanced stuff and at some point you gotta draw a line. That's where I got my "more time behind a computer than camera" comment.

Last edited by Arisenfury; 04-19-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:54 AM
I agree with the whole thing that alot of photographers spend alot of time behind the computer and it really is a finishing up step.

But, this guy has alot of stuff where he added stuff in took stuff out etc.... That is tons of photoshop work more than camera work.

Alot can be acheieved from behind the camera and I feel that if you really want to be one of the best you use the camera to its fullest then use photoshop or darkroom to process your picture ie... ajust color and contrast and sharpness not spend hours revamping the whole picture.

Sorry for keeping this thread way off topic this is for sure my last last last last last post in here despite what I read in it and feel like expressing myself about.

To far off topic in this thread.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:50 AM
Originally Posted by jsensk
This guy is one of the very best IMO. He shot the HKS Fit on the cover of the last issue of Siphon. If you scroll down on his site (from the link provided) you see his insane original shot that the magazine ended up modifying to fit the cover.

Overall his work is pretty amazing.

Steve Demmitt Photography : Follow your bliss..

I think that's great that you feel that way and want to share that with the rest of the FF community.

So some dont particularly dig it. Dont let that keep you from posting up stuff that you want to share.

I must admit though I am not a fan of all his stuff, but who cares. Its more of a creative endeavour than reading plain text. And some people like it so it did its job.

As far as how long it takes you to process a pic WHO CARES?!?!?!?!?!
extended time in a darkroom or photo kiosk at Rite Aid
extended time in photoshop or hitting the print button

As a photographer (yes a paid profesional) and fine artist, are fine art prints graphic design becuase they were heavily processed? Does a painting become just a sculpture if it has a heavy (and I mean heavy) impasto technique? Is one art form ever stripped of its title/medium just because it borrows heavily on other techniques? (commercial or not)

Enough of these psuedo elitist comments.
There is "old fashioned" and there is "closed minded" (they are not one in the same, and few if any of you are either one, inexperience is a bigger contributer)
I have colleague's, cohorts, and friends who spend countless hours editing and/or manipulating, and it does not change one bit the category in which they or I indulge, it only broadens what we can accomplish.

Last edited by Snap Fit; 04-23-2008 at 04:54 AM. Reason: love them bold charaters...better than italics...FTW!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:58 AM

I just noticed that lifepixel was sponsoring this page!
Irony!!!

I have even endorsed their products...haaaahaaa

(edit) whoops it's gone now....bummer,
well it was funny at the time. heehee

Last edited by Snap Fit; 04-23-2008 at 05:00 AM. Reason: darn just missed it again! haahaa
Old 04-23-2008, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Your analogies don't match up. The only thing this guy had left of his original picture was the car that he cropped out and stuck it on something else he created. If you want the equivelent in fine art it'd be more like doing an oil painting of a Fit, then gluing it onto a background you made with construction paper.

No one ever said you cannot work on your pictures in PhotoShop and not have them still be photography. Obviously you can touch it up (though if you're spending hours doing so than maybe Photography isn't your thing if you have to correct that many mistakes) but when you're physically taking apart your picture and adding things that weren't there and things that are impossible to be there if all you used is a camera; then it's simply not photography anymore.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i agree these finished pictures do look good, but i don't think it's accurate to call it photography because so much of it is edited. i'm by no means a good photographer but i'm trying to learn and i chose to use a manual film camera because i've noticed that digital photography has become very much about fabricating a picture that you want people to see, vs. taking a good photograph like in the good old days.

it does seem like digital photography and computer editing of the photos is the future, however.

Last edited by doctordoom; 04-23-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
i agree these finished pictures do look good, but i don't think it's accurate to call it photography because so much of it is edited. i'm by no means a good photographer but i'm trying to learn and i chose to use a manual film camera because i've noticed that digital photography has become very much about fabricating a picture that you want people to see, vs. taking a good photograph like in the good old days.

it does seem like digital photography and computer editing of the photos is the future, however.
I'll suggest 2 things if you're learning from film which is challenging as hell, but if you nail the exposure, along with focus, you'll love it.

1 - Buy a light meter, Minolta Autometer IV is what I started with, you'll learn aperture and shutter speeds a lot faster.

2 - Shoot slides, because the latittude for error is really small (1-stop either way +/-). First start off with regular film, then go to slides after a few months. Slides are INCREDIBLE but again, your lighting/exposure has to be pretty much bang on.

Have fun

Old 04-23-2008, 06:47 PM
whoops sorry hit submit by accident...hold up *embarrassed*

Last edited by Snap Fit; 04-23-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: turns uber red....
Old 04-23-2008, 07:12 PM
response in blue belowVVV
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
Your analogies don't match up.
Sure they do. (please reread)
The only thing this guy had left of his original picture was the car that he cropped out and stuck it on something else he created.
yup thats what he did, dont forget the picture was of the car! It was used as the equivalent of a studio "seemless" if you will.
If you want the equivelent in fine art it'd be more like doing an oil painting of a Fit, then gluing it onto a background you made with construction paper.
Irony, as I think that is not analogous^. The equivalent is in fine art "photography" under superimpose/double expose/overlay. Heavy manipulation techniques.
And btw because you did an "oil painting of a Fit and glued it...." <what does that even have to do with anything. What makes an "oil painting" fine art btw? And who is to say that your example is not fine art?

No one ever said you cannot work on your pictures in PhotoShop and not have them still be photography.
nor did I but you did say this below VVV that is where some possible confusion might be found
"if you can't do it in Adobe Lightroom than it's no longer photography."
Obviously you can touch it up
thanks for your permission heehee j/k

(though if you're spending hours doing so than maybe Photography isn't your thing if you have to correct that many mistakes)

ouch! ^^^ Its not just about mistakes (<<<hardly the case at all), its about enhancements, or a continuation of an idea/concept.
but when you're physically taking apart your picture and adding things that weren't there and things that are impossible to be there if all you used is a camera; then it's simply not photography anymore.
You do know that photography is a "manipulation" of reality right?
I am really impressed that you dont just think Polariods are true photography

Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
i'm not going to lie, i love reading the discussion of photography/graphic art.
very entertaining

Old 04-23-2008, 07:32 PM
response in blue below VVV
i agree these finished pictures do look good, but i don't think it's accurate to call it photography because so much of it is edited.
Thats funny because I don't think they look particuarly good but I do consider them photography (heavily manipulated though)

i'm by no means a good photographer but i'm trying to learn and i chose to use a manual film camera because i've noticed that digital photography has become very much about fabricating a picture that you want people to see, vs. taking a good photograph like in the good old days.
Thats great! I love film (preferebly med or large format, but 35 is enjoyable and useful as well)
Don't let digital sway you though. You can learn just as well if not quicker by using digital. You don't have to process them. Feed back is utterly instant, and learning curves tend to sky rocket with digital! It't dicipline either way.
We used to retouch and airbrush photos as far back as I can remember! Ah yes the good old days... toxic chemicals and darkroom mistakes that can ruin rolls or sheets at a time....FTW! (yet I still love film, just another creative medium...)

Indeed, just like most all other progression. Nostalgia will remain (for whatever personal or practical reasons) but general practicality will remain on its forward course.
BTW just in your average digital cam (P&S, SLR, or back) you have more pre-photo and post-photo editing tools at your disposal than most standard darkrooms had for after capture.

and one more- anyone remember the movements of large format gear?
like swings, tilts, shifts....(its like phtotoshop in a body! haahaa)

Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
Your analogies don't match up. The only thing this guy had left of his original picture was the car that he cropped out and stuck it on something else he created. If you want the equivelent in fine art it'd be more like doing an oil painting of a Fit, then gluing it onto a background you made with construction paper.

No one ever said you cannot work on your pictures in PhotoShop and not have them still be photography. Obviously you can touch it up (though if you're spending hours doing so than maybe Photography isn't your thing if you have to correct that many mistakes) but when you're physically taking apart your picture and adding things that weren't there and things that are impossible to be there if all you used is a camera; then it's simply not photography anymore.
booyah gramma!
lol

Old 04-23-2008, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
Sure they do. (please reread)

But they don't... just because you're spending time on PhotoShop instead of the darkroom doesn't mean you can add magical star backgrounds to your picture in a darkroom.

You simply cannot do what he did on film camera, there's really no arguement to prove so. Therefore it's not photography; the definition of which is "The art of process of producing images of objects on photosensitive surfaces."

My example was not to say that the oil painting glued to construction paper is not fine art, it's that it's not longer an intact oil painting.

As far as the PhotoShop/Light Room: It doesn't matter what program you use but if you can't do it within the parameters of what you're able to do to a photography in Light Room than that breaches the line of what you're able to do in a darkroom on film. You can use any program you want to edit your pictures, hell even MS Paint but you can't add fancy backgrounds and merge different pictures into one fake one in Light Room.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:41 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kuba
I'll suggest 2 things if you're learning from film which is challenging as hell, but if you nail the exposure, along with focus, you'll love it.

1 - Buy a light meter, Minolta Autometer IV is what I started with, you'll learn aperture and shutter speeds a lot faster.

2 - Shoot slides, because the latittude for error is really small (1-stop either way +/-). First start off with regular film, then go to slides after a few months. Slides are INCREDIBLE but again, your lighting/exposure has to be pretty much bang on.

Have fun
thanks for the tips kuba! i didn't buy a light meter but my super old minolta sr505 (japanese market) does have a built-in light meter that i got modified to work accurately with modern batteries. it seems to work pretty well. i still take some messed up photographs once in a while so when i am more confident i will try slides and new things!

to snapfit: yeah digital photography seems to be the way to go if one wants to learn quickly and have the ability snap hundreds of photographs without wasting money on film. but that is one of the reasons i decided not to go digital. it makes the results instant and just seems to take away a lot of the challenge. i think it's exciting to see my developed photographs long after i had taken them, and i am patient enough to learn things slowly, especially something that can be as complex and versatile as photography!

Last edited by doctordoom; 04-24-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:09 AM
response in blue again VVV

[/color]
But they don't...
ugh, yes they do, please reread (sorry I don't actually enjoy sounding like a broken record )
just because you're spending time on PhotoShop instead of the darkroom doesn't mean you can add magical star backgrounds to your picture in a darkroom.
ever heard of scratching? double exposure? But either way....why not? is it against some photography law?
sorry, had to it sounded so officious. (I'm over it now though, it was probably only funny in my head )

You simply cannot do what he did on film camera,
Quite possibly but...you would be amazed at how close you could come, or better for that matter. It depends more on your level of skill and creativity.
there's really no arguement to prove so. Therefore it's not photography;
gee how convenient to say that...
the definition of which is "The art of process of producing images of objects on photosensitive surfaces."
was anybody refuting that? ^^^
Having said that, that is not the sole modus of photography. Thank goodness for that!

My example was not to say that the oil painting glued to construction paper is not fine art, it's that it's not longer an intact oil painting.
Thanks for clearing up what you meant.
However no one was arguing if it was "intact" or not. Using the word "intact" is somewhat sidestepping the issue, by introducing a boundary context that was not prevalent before.
The funny thing is my gf is a fine art sculptor and painter, and often times she dissects her oil paintings to further her concept. And guess what? They still are paintings... Tadaaa!
its irrelevant whether or not they are intact. The same goes for photography.
As far as the PhotoShop/Light Room: It doesn't matter what program you use but if you can't do it within the parameters of what you're able to do to a photography in Light Room than that breaches the line of what you're able to do in a darkroom on film.
Enough of this comparison with lightroom and the traditional darkroom, and this imaginary "line" that somehow must be drawn. Context plays a much bigger role.
BTW, refresh my memory on how you alter white balance in the darkroom again?...let alone cloning! (both of which can be done in lightroom, and not so much in the darkroom)
Honestly this "lightroom" thing is an exceptionally arbitrary (probably very personal) way of judging the legitimacy of ones photographic efficacy.
You can use any program you want to edit your pictures, hell even MS Paint but you can't add fancy backgrounds and merge different pictures into one fake one in Light Room.
That only proves that Lightroom can be limiting, and nothing more.
btw you can double expose an image in camera (film) with incredible results, some that would make a photoshop whore blush.
Heck you can even do it in one exposure
steps-
1)set for a very long exposure
2) have a high intensity image you want captured as your main expose then cover up the lens
3)inroduce secondary subject could be the background (used close up of course) and expose again....
4) Voila! instant superimposed image, and some consider techniques like these the epitome of photography as an art.

And last time I checked I can do multiple images and image overlay in my Nikon D2X, and print straight from the card! lightroom can’t even do that and I didn’t even have to touch an external editor!
I started looking up more of Steve Demmitt and well.... hmmm I change my view I actually dig much of his other stuff.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:26 AM
to snapfit: yeah digital photography seems to be the way to go if one wants to learn quickly and have the ability snap hundreds of photographs without wasting money on film. but that is one of the reasons i decided not to go digital. it makes the results instant and just seems to take away a lot of the challenge. i think it's exciting to see my developed photographs long after i had taken them, and i am patient enough to learn things slowly, especially something that can be as complex and versatile as photography!
I know what you mean. Sometimes I just go out with my film gear (whether it be 35, medium format, or large format) It is certainly a very special medium, and many things I still prefer in film. I can sometimes attribute it to opening a present, especially as more techniques are compiled. After a while you get a really good idea of what what you took and how it will turn out, but it always hides a bit of magic.

I rarely get a gig where the prerequisite is film based but it happens, I did a large event and a wedding this last year that had requested a certain percentage that be done in film. It made things more hectic for the shoots (switching between film cameras and digi) but it gave me a warm feeling non the less. And most importantly the clients liked it.

The funny thing is when I shoot 35 whether its for a gig (rare now) or for myself (not quite as rare ) I still burn through tons of film

You actually sound like a prime candidate for trying out large format photography... you feel like you are in a ZEN picture state! Haahaa ...seriously though.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
You simply cannot do what he did on film camera
Quite possibly but...you would be amazed at how close you could come, or better for that matter.

I'm not sure where you're going with all these examples as they don't really do much to sway me. All these techniques are aspects of film photography and in some cases can be brought over to digital. White balance is irrevelent since it can be adjusted in-camera and comes given with the digital photography age. But if you honestly think that what Steve does is photography then I'm through trying to convince you since we'll be here indefinately as your arguements have not be swaying me either. All I can say is take some of his work and bring it to a prominant photography gallery and see if you don't get laughed at.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Right-o

I see what you mean. For me at least I usually don't spend more time in Photoshop than how long it too me to setup and shoot the shot. For film I think that is a key point, it took the photographer much longer to develop and edit the pictures in a darkroom than it took to shoot them. With digital that time is greatly reduced to the point that I believe everyone who's been doing it for a while can do all their RAW editing and whatnot in the same or less time than it took to setup and shoot it. So if you're out shooting for an hour you can probably expect to be editing for an hour if all the shots turned out good. But if you're shooting for 5 minutes and still editing for an hour than you're doing some advanced stuff and at some point you gotta draw a line. That's where I got my "more time behind a computer than camera" comment.
Amen, Fury.
As a fellow photographer, I'm with you on this. Time spent in Photoshop does not equate to being a good photographer. I do think this is a cool shot, but it was less about photography and more about graphic design. It was well-done, unquestionably, but could have been done by a computer geek who didn't own a camera, using stock photos. I'm sure the photographer would agree on this. Props to him on his Photoshop skills, though. I don't have the patience to be that good in Photoshop.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:44 PM
response in blue below VVV

I'm not sure where you're going with all these examples as they don't really do much to sway me.
Thats very apparent, and thats unfortunate because I am making them extreemly relevant. To a large degree I knew that going in with regards to you... just trying to broaden views.

All these techniques are aspects of film photography and in some cases can be brought over to digital.
Indeed which unfortunately doesnt not illustrate a point either way.

White balance is irrevelent since it can be adjusted in-camera and comes given with the digital photography age.
Why would it be irrelavant? I think you are making that up. Shooting film I had to many times change filters/film/or lighting to acheive the proper white balance/color temp, so I wouldn't be stuck later on. Going by your previous reasoning this should be done with Digi too. (minus changing the film of course)

But if you honestly think that what Steve does is photography then I'm through trying to convince you since we'll be here indefinately as your arguements have not be swaying me either.
Again, you have made that abundantly clear, luckily this is an open forum/thread and can be viewed by all so more people can learn.
Gee I sure hope you don't think I am holding you here to hang on to whomever might fancy the last word. This is about views and learning. I think you don't agree with his type of photography (and somehow that inherently means he is not a photographer) and thats why I question what you have to say with examples.

All I can say is take some of his work and bring it to a prominant photography gallery and see if you don't get laughed at.
I work at a gallery, granted not a prominent one but I know many, who do. I see far more manipulated images come through and get accpeted as photography. I think you are forgetting the context in which it is presented. Unless its a retrospective why would his work be displayed in a gallery??????? It's out of context, and even then...why would anyone laugh???? That is truly bizzare. Most stuff displayed commercially is not gallery material!
I have sculpted 5 figurative life size bronze sculptures for the city of Sante Fe Springs, that would never make it into a gallery! Does that somehow mean I am not a sculptor? Or they are not Sculptures?
its all CONTEXT <<< dont forget about that!

Quick Reply: AMAZING auto photographer/Siphon cover