General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Temperamental Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
The Temperamental Fit

So 2 tanks ago, I filled up with 9.3 gallons of 91 octane, which according to some people on here gives better gas mileage. There was thus 1.5 gallons of regular 87 octane left, so I should have posted pretty good gas mileage, right? I drove that tank so conservatively it wasn't even funny. Shifting at 2000 rpm, never going above 55 on the freeway, and hypermiling behind semi-trucks whenever possible. The next time I filled up, I had done merely 34.4 mpg, about 10 mpg less than I had expected.

This last tank I went back to 87, because I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend over 4 dollars for gas. I had pretty much given up on trying to get extraordinary gas mileage, so I didn't employ any hypermiling techniques. I drove 70 on the freeway, let the engine do all it's own shifting (AT baby!), and even raced a few TCs. Today I drove 110 on the freeway for about 5 minutes, and the tach was at 5500 the whole time... And then I filled up. What did I get this time?

33.4 mpg!!!

I know that's low compared to the MT Fit, but that's not what I'm complaining about. Why does my mileage stay so consistent? Why can I drive 100 on the freeway and post the same gas mileage as when I drive 55?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Technique and terrain. Those variables have much to do with mpg.

My guess is that you are not really "hyper miling" if all you are getting is 34mpg....... I can get that in my wifes 2008 CRV.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Higher octane gets you...

...exactly...

NOTHING

Octane is not about power or efficiency. It is ONLY about resisting detonation. If your engine runs on 87 octane, you get NOTHING by running higher octane.

The only slight benefit would be that most premium blends do have more added detergents. Even then, the burn characteristics are different.

USE WHAT YOUR ENGINE MANUFACTURER SPECIFIES.

(don't take that personally Burbio, this is aimed at helping clear up the myth that you get more out of high octane gas)

Old 05-12-2008, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
no worries... consumer reports just published an article saying pretty much the exact same thing. i tried 91 out for 2 tanks and have since gone back to 87. but i do try to buy my gas from chevron or shell, because they add stuff that cleans the engine.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
I feel like I get worse gas mileage with Shell gas... might wanna try a different station?

Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 PM
I've found driving conservatively with the fit doesn't really save any gas.. I get better gas mileage if I shift at higher rpm's.

I've tried cruising at 1.5-2k rpm and shifting at around 2k, annoyingly slow acceleration.. results would be something like 180-200km at the half tank mark and around 400-420km by the time the light comes on. When I drive normally and shift anywhere from 3k to 4k rpm and cruise 2.5k to around 3.2k rpm I usually get 220-250km per half tank mark and 450-480 by the time the light comes on.. I've stretched it to something like 520km per tank (just below the empty line) but I chickened out and filled up before it was dry :P

I should start tracking mileage again now that it has close to 50k on the odometer.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Burbio
So 2 tanks ago, I filled up with 9.3 gallons of 91 octane, which according to some people on here gives better gas mileage. There was thus 1.5 gallons of regular 87 octane left, so I should have posted pretty good gas mileage, right? I drove that tank so conservatively it wasn't even funny. Shifting at 2000 rpm, never going above 55 on the freeway, and hypermiling behind semi-trucks whenever possible. The next time I filled up, I had done merely 34.4 mpg, about 10 mpg less than I had expected.

This last tank I went back to 87, because I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend over 4 dollars for gas. I had pretty much given up on trying to get extraordinary gas mileage, so I didn't employ any hypermiling techniques. I drove 70 on the freeway, let the engine do all it's own shifting (AT baby!), and even raced a few TCs. Today I drove 110 on the freeway for about 5 minutes, and the tach was at 5500 the whole time... And then I filled up. What did I get this time?

33.4 mpg!!!

I know that's low compared to the MT Fit, but that's not what I'm complaining about. Why does my mileage stay so consistent? Why can I drive 100 on the freeway and post the same gas mileage as when I drive 55?

Has anyone else experienced this?
I'm curious in how you could expect about 44 MPG's in a Fit?

EPA is 27/33 for the AT. You're already surpassing the rating for 100% highway. You should be pleased. I'll be the 1st to say that one can always beat EPA estimates but don't expect more than 40 MPG even in the best conditions.

That being said, I'm sure you'll be able to beat 34.4 (especially on road trips) but 44mpg is Toyota Prius territory.

Oh, and expect to pay over $4.00/gal REGULAR within a couple of weeks and for the rest of the summer.

Last edited by Fitter, Happier; 05-17-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitter, Happier
I'm curious in how you could expect about 44 MPG's in a Fit?

EPA is 27/33 for the AT. You're already surpassing the rating for 100% highway. You should be pleased. I'll be the 1st to say that one can always beat EPA estimates but don't expect more than 40 MPG even in the best conditions.

That being said, I'm sure you'll be able to beat 34.4 (especially on road trips) but 44mpg is Toyota Prius territory.

Oh, and expect to pay over $4.00/gal REGULAR within a couple of weeks and for the rest of the summer.

welcome to fitfreak. here's some stuff you should know:
the fit is capable of over 44 mpg. some people have reported getting over 50 mpg. so even tho my car is auto, i was expecting 44, considering the conservative driving i was doing.

some people get 100 mpg in their priuses. 44 mpg is Fit territory!

again, welcome.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Burbio
welcome to fitfreak. here's some stuff you should know:
the fit is capable of over 44 mpg. some people have reported getting over 50 mpg. so even tho my car is auto, i was expecting 44, considering the conservative driving i was doing.

some people get 100 mpg in their priuses. 44 mpg is Fit territory!

again, welcome.
Thanks for the welcome.

It would be quite impressive to get 45 mpg in a Fit or more. I'm sure people do it but only in the best conditions and with hypermiling techniques.

Just saying that 35 mpg is already getting more than expected and shouldn't be anything to be concerned about.

Most people don't get much more than 40-42 in a Yaris which is more efficient than a Fit. So I'm just surprised.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:51 PM
It's entirely possible to get 44+mpg out of the Fit......

... measured on a trip or tank basis.

I seriously doubt anyone will ever have a lifetime average of 44mpg. If someone did, they would be an exception, not the rule.

Driving conditions affect fuel economy. You driving 100 miles on a freeway where you live is NOT the same as ME driving 100 miles on a freeway where I live. Temperature, humidity, altitude, geography (hills and valleys) all play into efficiency. People who live in very flat, low altitude areas will more than likely get better efficiency than those that live in higher altitude hilly areas.

If SOMEONE is able to average 44mpg or better (trip, tank or lifetime), don't expect that you will be able to duplicate it. Your conditions will more than likely be different. All you can hope for is beating the EPA estimates, and beating your own averages. If you're already getting more than EPA estimates, count yourself fortunate.