General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit value dropping less than you might think...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Fit value dropping less than you might think...

Looks good for us...

As gas rises, so does cost of small used cars - Autos - MSNBC.com

Old 05-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Which actually makes someone more likely to just buy a new Fit. The guy here in San Diego selling his Fit for $14,600 might have a tough time selling it. However, since most Honda dealers don't have many on the lot, it could be a plus for someone selling their Fit.

Personally, I'd rather spend more on a new car, than buy a used one for almost the same price.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by KF6VGZ
Which actually makes someone more likely to just buy a new Fit. The guy here in San Diego selling his Fit for $14,600 might have a tough time selling it. However, since most Honda dealers don't have many on the lot, it could be a plus for someone selling their Fit.

Personally, I'd rather spend more on a new car, than buy a used one for almost the same price.
Used ones may not be a bad idea. They're most likely broken in and ready to go! And also, maybe some of the initial bugs were worked out. I usually go with new myself, though. As for price being high, more power to the guy if he does sell it. I just checked Autotrader.com, and it showed 2 2007 used Fits for sale, the cheaper one being $14888. Not sure if base or sport; it did not say.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:14 PM
In Nevada, used person to person is the way to go. If you buy used, private party, there is NO sales tax.

I bought my 2007 Honda Fit Base with Auto for $13,500 in SSM. It had 3K miles on it, Dealer installed lo-jack and a transferrable Honda Care warranty (5yrs/60K miles including roadside assistance).

The guy I bought it from paid almost 17K with taxes and dealer add ons. About the only down side is that he didn't tint it or add floor mats. Oh well.

Since it has lo jack and the extra warranty I can easily sell it for what I paid for it. Maybe even a little more.

Used is almost always better.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:03 PM
I am looking for a used Fit around the Virginia/DC area. The only one I found that was "reasonable" was a 2007 for $11,500. When I contacted the seller, I was told it had been in an "incident" and everything was fixed, no problems.

Of course, he didn't disclose that in the ad, but I do give him props for telling me before I drove out there to look at it.

Every other used fit I have seen is around $14000 or more around here.

At that price, I will wait for the 2009s and buy a new one. If I ever see a used one near $12000 again I may reconsider.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by kevjandon
In Nevada, used person to person is the way to go. If you buy used, private party, there is NO sales tax.
In California, there is no sales tax either. But you pay a "Use Tax" when you register the car which is the same amount as sales tax.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Cool

Mini Coopers hold their value, and that's what has kept me from buying one. It's so frustrating to see a used Mini going for $25k when new ones are just a grand or two more.

Also, used car lots have the Scion xB advertised for a more than new price!

Old 05-22-2008, 11:08 PM
I've seen numerous used Fit listings asking HIGHER than new MSRP. Fit's with 10K on them for $17K.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Honda's have always been good for resale value. Some cars get popular fast, and stay there for a while too. 5 months after i bought my SRT-4 i had an offer to sell it for 2k more than I payed for it....from the dealer...........outright (not on a trade).

Old 05-23-2008, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
I read a story on cnn.com the other day about how Geo Metros are selling for decent bucks right now. Some idiot paid 7300 for one! People are insane.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:06 AM
I heard that Fits are harder to find on dealer lots because Honda is trying to make them efficiently. They keep only a certain number of fits on the lot, and when they run out, the dealer just orders more from Japan. The day I bought my BBP, the guy told me that it was the third fit he sold within the last 2 days. They didn't have my color so I had to wait for them to transport it from another dealership. There's a chance that they might not have the fits during the clearance sale because the demand is getting higher with gas prices.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member

shit sounds like me?

but im selling it for 14.2k firm.

although it is used, its all freeway miles. im on a lot of forums and drive to a lot of meets. i even drove up to frisco

meh, i guess if you dont want all the warranties and goodies...then people should buy a new fit. but the only thing that i think is holding my car back from selling is essentially the car is red.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:41 PM
^ I don't think it's the color. Maybe because it's modded, but probably more because of the economy. Not a lot of people spending money these days.

BTW- Haven't forgotten about you - weighing the benefits of buying used v.s. buying new. Also trying to convince my wife that her husband can still look cool even if he's going from a 350z to a Fit.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Mini Coopers hold their value, and that's what has kept me from buying one. It's so frustrating to see a used Mini going for $25k when new ones are just a grand or two more.

Also, used car lots have the Scion xB advertised for a more than new price!
Main reason why i didn't get another xB after mine was totalled I tried to find one for about 2 months but finally said it was more financially wise to get a new fit for about the same price as a used xB

Old 05-23-2008, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Totally different in the West Palm area (SE Fla). I never see used ones in the paper and the dealers have them all sold before they get on the boat for USA.

Glad I made my move in Feb.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
I was lucky enough to get my Fit used from a guy who didn't want it any more because he had to pay off his Lexus IS300. I bought mine for $15,900 sport model, auto, with rear cargo cover and with only 6400 miles. I see people on craigslist try to sell their FITs for $16-$18 and it has 20k miles on it. I would sell my FIT to make a profit but I love it too much to do it. IMO I think the 07-08 FITs will be a pretty rare in the coming future.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:15 PM
I love it how we are slowly turning into the EU. I LOVE seeing raised superduty diesels filling up at 5 bucks a gallon for diesel LOL, good luck selling that pos buddy. People are realizing small is better, and there is NO need for a big car or even a truck, UNLESS its for work, even then, get a company truck! V8s for daily driving is complete excess. Honda knew this some time ago, thats why they haven´t made any V8s yet. Talk about forward thinking! I love supporting a company who doesnt try to appeal to the neanderthal hillbillies by putting an underengineered V8 in everything and calling it "muscle". "Muscle" is a good way to say, "well, we couldnt engineer anything better, but this has worked for 50 years, so take this pushrod two valve per cylinder 7 liter POS instead". thank you Honda!!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
dang,
thats crazy!
i don't know if it like it..
not at all.
i need to buy a used 07-08 sport damnit!
haha

Old 05-23-2008, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DVFlyer
^ I don't think it's the color. Maybe because it's modded, but probably more because of the economy. Not a lot of people spending money these days.

BTW- Haven't forgotten about you - weighing the benefits of buying used v.s. buying new. Also trying to convince my wife that her husband can still look cool even if he's going from a 350z to a Fit.

slightly modded. only intake, springs, and sidemarkers,and tint. really the only mods are intake and springs.

but i can see i guess why that may change peoples minds. i left the intake on, because it gets better gas mileage.(by at least 3 mpg)