General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit 2008 vs Fit 2009 - The Decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Fit 2008 vs Fit 2009 - The Decision

A Fit forum member recently questioned the pros and cons of buying a 2008 vs. waiting for the 2009. Another member of the forum commented to the effect, if you like the 2008, get it, if you prefer the 2009, get it. As someone who was actually planning to go the Corolla 2009 route a few months ago, I studied all the 2009 Corolla photos. I researched the Corolla printed materials. I valued the Edmund's take on the Corolla's first test drive. I was sure I was going to be buying a 2009 Corolla.

When these Corollas rolled into the Toyota dealership in the spring of 2008, I was the first to give the 5 speed sport model a test drive. There was something about the lack of pick up that I didn't like. There was something about the rather cheap-looking, plastic dash that didn't speak to me. The entire experience of driving this 2009 Corolla was a bit disappointing.

It was then I concluded that for all the literature in the world - for all the visuals of the Corolla's interior or exterior - for me, the actual proof was in the pudding. This meant seeing the actual vehicle in person and giving it a test drive in person.

That said, when I decided the Corolla 2009 5 speed manual was now out of the picture, I test drove, among other 5 speed vehicles, the 2008 Fit. Is it possible to say I fell in love at hello? As much as my hello with the 2008 Fit had me at my very first drive, I went to the internet, read the literature, watched the videos and met you guys and wondered... should I wait for the 2009s? After all, they will have arm rests. They will have side door moldings. They will have the dead foot petal. They will have map lights, a quicker engine, and an arguably sleeker body style.

I was in a quandary.

The 2008 had me at hello. So do I go with hello or see if the 2009 has hello and then some?

How I made my decision would likely bore this entire forum, but here's what I decided: Go with the 2008 for now. If, come fall, I absolutely have to have the 2009, then sell the 2008. Trade it in. Do whatever. But to bet on the come, when I fell head over heals with the 2008, knowing the 2009 arrivals were several months away, was simply too much waiting when I knew the 2008 was calling my name now.

And so, on a Friday afternoon in the middle of May 2008, I went to the Honda dealer with my decision and made my purchase.

If the 2009s have a better feel than the 2008, then good for the 2009. In the meantime, I like the go cart feeling of my 5 speed 2008. If the 2009 is supposed to have a smoother ride, great. I still like the feel of my 2008- a tiny bit like a truck - whenever I go over a bump.

The new all weather Fit mats I bought? I like the fact that they are thick and heavy. They don't sway forward like the mats I bought for my Solara 8 years ago that I have to put back in place all the time.

The dash? It's the greatest. It's simple. It's symmetrical. It's easy to work with. Will the 2009 dash be better or worse? Only time will tell. We'll have to check it out for ourselves when give the new model a test drive.

The ride? The shifting experience?

All I can say is, I feel like my 5 speed manual has put the fun back in driving. It's a joy. It's a treat. Anyone who purchases the automatic Fit, enjoy yourselves. Anyone who purchases the manual, you get something a little more special. You get a bit of driving heaven.

Last edited by cargirl2B; 10-22-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:07 PM
I never learned stick, so perhaps all the cars I drive from now until the day I die will be automatic. But I do like the ability to flip it to "paddle mode" now and then.

Congragulations on your purchase!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
You made a good decision. I bought my 2008 knowing full well that the 2009 was coming, and with it, a number of improvements over the current design. I don't, however, like going in on a car's first year out. The 2009 is the first year for the new design, and as solid as it will be, there will be bugs in the system. We'll see improvements to *that* design for the 2010, 2011, and beyond models. Heck, there are problems with the 2008, but after reading about Fits over the years, this was the year to buy (unless you wanted white, in which case you were SOL (and I did want white!)).

Glad you're having fun with it. Coming from turbo Subarus (and even moderately powered Hondas (Civic Si, Accord V6)), I have no delusions about this car's lack of power (I really think it could've used another 10-15hp), but in certain situations (and with better tires), it conveys a nice sense of driver confidence and fun. It struggles on uphill grades and passing. All in all, though, I love my Fit, too.

-Mike

Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
I'm waiting for 2009.. it's a pain to find a Sport manual for 08s...

How fast is 08 Fit's 0-60 times?
I read those mag tests... those new Corollas consistently ran top of the pack in 0-60 times...

Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Ugh...why are you looking for 0-60 times from an econo box?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitPilot
Ugh...why are you looking for 0-60 times from an econo box?
OP claimed that corolla doesnt enough acceleration speed compare to the
Fit

Old 05-30-2008, 12:56 AM
when i first went to a dealer to check out the fit (about a month ago) i asked if the 09 will be diff. and he said it will be exactly the same (lying salesman)

Old 05-30-2008, 02:55 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by FITDragon
I never learned stick

Old 05-30-2008, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITDragon
I never learned stick, so perhaps all the cars I drive from now until the day I die will be automatic.
Give it a try (e.g. test drive another car, ask a friend), you'll pick it up and enjoy it if you're serious about learning M/T.

I was in the same boat--almost 30, never drove stick. Second time ever driving M/T, was test-driving a Fit. My fourth time ever, with only 40 minutes M/T experience in my life, I drove my new car off the lot.

Not saying I'm great at M/T yet, but good enough to get around a packed city.

As to 2008 vs. 2009, my decision was easy: I don't like the exterior look of the '09s, at least from the pictures I've seen. So despite the interior improvements like dead pedal, armrest, etc, the 0.9% financing and the $1000 rebate from the government were more than enough for me to go with the '08.

I'll probably at least check out and test drive the '09s when they come out though.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by ghibli99
The 2009 is the first year for the new design, and as solid as it will be, there will be bugs in the system.
Technically, isn't the 09 going to be the second year for the new design since the redesigned 08 JDM Fit is already being produced?

Old 05-30-2008, 09:31 AM
I also bought an 08' instead of an 09' because of these reasons........

1. Canadians get $1000 cash from the Federal Gov't for the ecocar program. 2009's are not eligible
2. I get another 20% off my insurnace for 4 years from the Provincial ecocar program (about $850). Again, 2009's are not eligible,
3. I will wait until the job #2 or #3 Fits (in the new style) are being made. This way I can get the best value for my money as all the little nitpicks will be worked out and new things added (like cruise control was to my 08 LX).

Old 05-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Yep, it will be the second year for the 2009 Fit, just the first year in the US.

Of course I will test drive it first. If I don't like it, I won't buy it! I will buy a 2008 instead, no biggie. Or perhaps by then we will have some new info about the new hybrids, and I will end up waiting for those--who knows!

Old 05-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by zukered
Give it a try (e.g. test drive another car, ask a friend), you'll pick it up and enjoy it if you're serious about learning M/T.

I was in the same boat--almost 30, never drove stick. Second time ever driving M/T, was test-driving a Fit. My fourth time ever, with only 40 minutes M/T experience in my life, I drove my new car off the lot.

Not saying I'm great at M/T yet, but good enough to get around a packed city.
Maybe someday. Too late to get a manual now anyway.

The only time I tried a manual in my life was many years ago. I don't remember what car it was, but I was so unused to the clutch pedal and timing it just right to hit the right spot on the stick for the next gear.. after the third stall out , I was done, and swore off manual.

Maybe someday I'll give it a try... or maybe, by the time I'm ready to purchase another vehicle, we'll all be driving hydrogen hybrids!

Old 05-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by cargirl2B
A Fit forum member recently questioned the pros and cons of going with a 2008 vs. waiting for the 2009. Another member of the forum commented to the effect, if you like the 2008, get it, if you prefer the 2009, get it. As someone who was actually planning to go the Corolla 2009 route a few months ago, I studied all the 2009 Corolla photos. I researched the Corolla printed materials. I valued the Edmund's take on the Corolla's first test drive. I was sure I was going to be buying a Corolla 2009.

When these Corollas rolled into the Toyota dealership in the spring of 2008, I was the first to give the 5 speed sport model a test drive. There was something about the lack of pick up that I didn't like. There was something about the rather cheap-looking, plastic dash that didn't speak to me. The entire experience of driving this 2009 Corolla was a bit disappointing.

It was then I concluded that for all the literature in the world - for all the visuals of the Corolla's interior or exterior - for me, the actual proof was in the pudding. This meant seeing the actual vehicle in person and giving it a test drive in person.

That said, when I decided the Corolla 2009 5 speed manual was now out of the picture, I test drove, among other 5 speed vehicles, the 2008 Fit. Is it possible to say I fell in love at hello? As much as my hello with the 2008 Fit had me at my very first drive, I went to the internet, read the literature, watched the videos and met you guys and wondered... should I wait for the 2009s? After all, they will have arm rests. They will have side door moldings. They will have the dead foot petal. They will have map lights, a quicker engine, and an arguably sleeker body style.

I was in a quandry.

The 2008 had me at hello. So do I go with hello or see if the 2009 has hello and then some?

How I made my decision would likely bore this entire forum, but here's what I decided: Go with the 2008 for now. If, come fall, I absolutely have to have the 2009, then sell the 2008. Trade it in. Do whatever. But to bet on the come, when I fell head over heals with the 2008, knowing the 2009 arrivals were several months away, was simply too much waiting when I knew the 2008 was calling my name now.

And so, on a Friday afternoon in the middle of May 2008, I went to the Honda dealer with my decision and made my purchase.

If the 2009s have a better feel than the 2008, then good for the 2009. In the meantime, I like the go cart feeling of my 5 speed 2008. If the 2009 is supposed to have a smoother ride, great. I still like the feel of my 2008- a tiny bit like a truck - whenever I go over a bump.

The new all weather Fit mats I bought? I like the fact that they are thick and heavy. They don't sway forward like the mats I bought for my Solara 8 years ago that I have to put back in place all the time.

The dash? It's the greatest. It's simple. It's symmetrical. It's easy to work with. Will the 2009 dash be better or worse? Only time will tell. We'll have to check it out for ourselves when give the new model a test drive.

The ride? The shifting experience?

All I can say is, I feel like my 5 speed manual put the fun back in driving. It's a joy. It's a treat. Anyone who puchases the automatic Fit, enjoy yourselves. Anyone who purchases the manual, you know you get something a little more special. You get a bit of driving heaven.
Congratulations on your new car. I think you made a great choice. I enjoyed your paean to the Fit! I am also a new Fit owner: I bought a MR sport manual just a bit over a month ago. I continue to marvel at the engineering excellence of this fuel-efficient, space-efficient, handsome automobile. Honda really got it right, didn't they?

Old 05-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by cargirl2B
Is it possible to say I fell in love at hello?
Join the club. The Fit was the first of 5 models I had on my list to try when I went car shopping last November. Fell in love so hard I had to force myself to go on and look at the other models before running back to buy the Fit.