General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

So I got into a lil accident cause my brakes didn't work :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
P.S. Our ABS sucks. Ive had it kick on due to rough roads, I wasnt even going fast (45mph) but I had the hardest problem stopping my car. I ended up getting sideways a bit and stopped in the center of the intersection.

ABS will engage on bumpy surfaces. The wheels leaving the surface of the road as you brake will slow faster than the computer "likes" and activates the ABS. The most important thing to remember with ABS: When you have to stop in an emergency, apply the brakes HARD and do not let off them. Many people feel the pedal "pulse" and think it is some type of malfunction.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
P.S. Our ABS sucks. Ive had it kick on due to rough roads, I wasnt even going fast (45mph) but I had the hardest problem stopping my car. I ended up getting sideways a bit and stopped in the center of the intersection.

"Sideways in the center of the intersection" equals too fast for conditions. It's not the brakes folks----It's YOU. Thank God you didn't wipe out someone in the cross walk. I doubt they would have bought your "the ABS sucks" explanation.

Sorry to preach, I have been to too many accidents caused by speed and following too close. However, I'm sure to get flamed, and most will go on blaming their brakes.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by midwest
"Sideways in the center of the intersection" equals too fast for conditions. It's not the brakes folks----It's YOU. Thank God you didn't wipe out someone in the cross walk. I doubt they would have bought your "the ABS sucks" explanation.

Sorry to preach, I have been to too many accidents caused by speed and following too close. However, I'm sure to get flamed, and most will go on blaming their brakes.
I know exactly how you feel.
And now that its summer the speed goes waaaay up.
I already know who the "victims" will be. Seen it so many times.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:00 PM
ok, i am prepared for the onslaught, people all over refuse to take responsibility for their actions; you get depresses its seasonal affectivness disorder, you beat your kids its because you were, you're fat/thin its an eating disorder, pills for this or that problem. we need to suck it up and admit we are fallible.
that being said i am sorry your fit was in an accident and gla all are ok.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ricohman
55mph and 100ft?
I don't think even a new Fit can stop that fast.
huuuu

He crashed before reaching zero speed.
Not sure I have ever seen brake testing that captures that lol

FYI
in the Dec 2006 CR test they measured 60mph to stop on dry pavement 134 'MT and 140' AT

Old 06-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
huuuu

He crashed before reaching zero speed.
Not sure I have ever seen brake testing that captures that lol

FYI
in the Dec 2006 CR test they measured 60mph to stop on dry pavement 134 'MT and 140' AT
Yes, thats what I meant. Not enough room either way.
ABS would have made no difference.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 PM
let me just clarify, i didnt smash into a vehicle that was stopped dead either there was about 5 car lengths between me and the van in front, i was going the speed limit of 100km/h on a highway that was moving well and when he hit his brakes going the same speed as me i hit mine and hence my brakes did not slow me down like they should have driving any other car including the rental car i had to replace mine while it was being fixed could stop in that time, you people make it seem as tho i slammed on my brakes and hit a brick wall that was not moving itself, last time i checked 5 lengths is a pretty reasonable space to expect your car to stop in the point is that when my foot hit the brakes the petal went straight to the floor and did little more then vibrate and jump...and if ya dont believe that well ive got the police that say the samr