General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

iPhone question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:25 PM
iPhone question

Hi, I am really considering buying a Fit, I am still undecided whether to get an '08 or '09, but I was wondering if the current model supports playing music from an iPhone. Also, if it doesn't then does anyone know if the '09 will. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
It what way do you mean "play music from an iPhone"?

As far as Bluetooth, no there is no Bluetooth connectivity in the Fit OEM for the GD3 and I have heard nothing about it on the new '09 model.

There is an iPod interface available and an MP3 AUX jack for the stock radio, if that helps.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
you can use the "AUX" jack to connect

Old 06-22-2008, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
I'm simply amazed that an Ipod interface has become such an important quality of a car - that it drives purchase decisions. (Or CNET reviews...)

Old 06-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by SmartSizer
I'm simply amazed that an Ipod interface has become such an important quality of a car - that it drives purchase decisions. (Or CNET reviews...)
+1
but i guess iPods are a lot better than cd's

Old 06-22-2008, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
I think it might depend on what kind of AUX cable you get. I think some are made for the iPhone or something. I have one that works for regular iPods but it doesn't work for my friend's iPhone.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:39 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
iphone will have to be in airplane mode or you will have too much interference,
you will hear it almost constant-
if you are in airplane mode, then you are kinda defeating the point of a PHONe lol
get a cheap ipod, maybe a used one and use that instead,
i have the harmon/kardon play thing, and i get interference with my iphone just because its in the car, i use my reg ipod with it tho-
when i used just the aux jack straight up there was no interference,
but you have to deal with the cables, and pain in the ass click wheel

Old 06-22-2008, 04:41 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
o, and also
the current 08- does not have the music link avail for it, bc they switched up the aux jack and such

i belive the 09 will have a usb plug for any usb device
if not that then it will deff have a aux jack either way

Old 06-22-2008, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
i listen to my iPhone through the aux cord all the time. Zero interference and awesome sound quality. The aux cord will probably be your best bet.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by kyle.
+1
but i guess iPods are a lot better than cd's
Only if quantity of sound is more important than quality of sound.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm interested in this as well. I'm looking to get one of the new 3G iPhones and it would be sweet if there was some sort of device that would use the power output and the aux input and would sit snuggly in the cup holder. Allowing me to just dock the iPhone whenever I entered the car. Thoughts? Think I might be able to rig something up?

Old 06-22-2008, 11:47 PM
You would definitely be able to rig something up, but it would be a combination of using the lighter jack and the aux input to both charge and play an iPod or iPhone product simultaneously. But there are many aftermarket products that allow you to do this easily. Add to it... the cup holder works perfect to hold any iPod model.

I use my AUX jack all the time. I love listening to my iPod instead of the CD player, mainly because I listen to Podcasts which are like radio shows and the sound quality isn't crucial. Music sounds fine too by the way. But I do notice the CD plays at a louder level, and sounds a little better. Yet I really don't seem to mind one way or another.

As far as lack of iPod interface? Who really would care? iPod technology changes so fast it could be outdated within a year or so. You're really looking at something that down the road will be obsolete too fast.
I bet in three years it will be like having a car with an 8 track player.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:04 AM
I just got my Fit last week, and I've been using my iPhone in it with the Aux connector just fine. I had an extra dock sitting around, so I hooked a $6 3.5mm audio cable from Radio Shack into the back of that and into the Aux port. I also bought a car charger for the iPhone ($20), also plugged into the back of the dock. Sit the iPhone in it, hit play. The dock has to sit a little crooked in the cubby hole by the Aux Port, but I'm going to try to fix that when I have time. I also considered getting an Apple Universal dock so that I could have a remote to change songs, it's a little hard to reach down into the cubby to do it.

No interference problems at all. And I still use my Bluetooth headset / GPS unit for calls.

I know there is an all in one charger/dock/Aux line on Apple's website. It's the Kensington Car Charger Deluxe ($50). I'm thinking about picking one up, it looks like it could hold the phone a little above the cubby hole for easy control and the position can be changed if you need to adjust it. Here's a link to it. Apple Store (U.S.) - Kensington Car Charger Deluxe for iPhone and iPod

Old 06-23-2008, 12:59 PM
That looks perfect for my needs, man! Thanks for posting it! The aux jack just plugs right into the bottom of the dock?

Old 06-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Right, you can plug the Aux jack right into the back of a regular iPhone dock where it says "Line Out," you just need to buy a cable from radio shack that has two 3.5mm plugs on either side (regular headphone plugs). I think I paid $6 for mine and it's about three feet long, so it can even reach to the back of the center console if you have a "Backseat DJ" like I did this weekend.

The Kensington charger looks a little more convenient because it's basically the dock, charger, and aux cable all in one package, all you have to do is plug it into the car and then dock your phone on it. The only thing I have against it is that it will always be charging your phone, and eventually wearing down the battery. Maybe if I can find a way to mount it without always having the power plugged in...

Old 06-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Yea but at the rate Apple keeps revising the iPhones I doubt I'll keep mine long enough to really see it kill the battery. I charge my phones everyday anyways. But it does look like a great solution! I saved the link. Hope it works with the new 3G version tho. Apple's site says it does work with iPhone at the top of the screen but at the bottom of the page it doesn't say iPhone in the list of compatible devices. Strange.