General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Rock 1-- Fit Windshield pillar 0- Lookin for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Rock 1-- Fit Windshield pillar 0- Lookin for some advice

Hi All,

A week or two ago, my wife, my kid and I were coming back from the mountains (Smoky Mountains National Park) and I hear this loud "crack." It was so loud that everyone in the car came out of their seat (except for kid-- he was strapped in! ). I fully expected to see a shattered window somewhere, but found nothing. When I got home I noticed the damage. On the passenger side piller that runs up the front windshield, a couple of inches above the sideview mirror were two chips. Actually, it looked like the rock hit then tumbled one turn and hit taking out the chip of paint. I'm kind of anal about the car and I had just finished a nice TurtleWax Ice job on it so I was pissed. Anyway, I got some touchup from the Dealership and have literally been trying to make it look decent for about 10 days. Filling in the chip was easy enough, but I was using 1500 grit wetsand with almost no touch to even things out a little and of course the regular pain is so then that it goofed ip the painted area around the chip. Long story short- I have wetsanded the area smooth in both locations and they are close together. I took the factory touch up an basically just brushed it over the locations so that I dont have to worry about rust. When you look at it from 2 or 3 angles it looks ok-- but look at it from the side and it looks like turd. Here's where I need help . . . I'm not paying 300-600 dollars to fix this at this time. I was thinking about putting some sort of decal on that front pillar to just cover the area. I think it will need to be about 3.5 inches wide to go from the edge that boarders the glass to the edhs that is opposite. Maybe just some Mugen Stripes on the pillar or one of these: What do you guys think?

Last edited by tbird911; 07-31-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:28 PM
decals arnt my thing and i wouldnt put one on my car.

I would get the touch up spray paint through honda or a dealer and use that as the brush isnt a miracle worker, and made for tiny nicks on the bumper, not big chips.

Tape off and use news paper over everything but that location along the a-pillar, and put on a lot of very light coats to make sure it blends well. Leave plenty of drying time between coats. The use a fine polish on it to finish... Or at least that's what i would do.