General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

50K service: anyone know what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:41 PM
50K service: anyone know what to expect?

I'm taking my car in for a service tomorrow and am wondering what to expect. Anybody out there with 50K or more miles? Should I expect anything more than an oil change? Should I change the manual transmission oil? The maintainance minder is displaying the service light and the code A12 at startup. The oil life is at 15%. Thanks for any advice you all can give me.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ClaytonS15
I'm taking my car in for a service tomorrow and am wondering what to expect. Anybody out there with 50K or more miles? Should I expect anything more than an oil change? Should I change the manual transmission oil? The maintainance minder is displaying the service light and the code A12 at startup. The oil life is at 15%. Thanks for any advice you all can give me.

When all else fails consult your Fit maintenance manual. However, that may mean you should watch the dealer shop to see if they don't add a bunch of stuff that is more benefit to them than you.
good luck.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Yea look it up in the manual so they don't charge u for a bunch of stuff that u really don't need

Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
When all else fails consult your Fit maintenance manual. However, that may mean you should watch the dealer shop to see if they don't add a bunch of stuff that is more benefit to them than you.
good luck.
Good advice. According to the manual, with this code I should expect to replace the engine oil, rotate the tires (not necessary for me- new tires within 3000 miles) replace air cleaner, dust and pollen filter and inspect the drive belt. I guess what I'm asking with my original question above is whether anyone has this kind of mileage and if so, any other issues they may have had with their cars. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Good advice. According to the manual, with this code I should expect to replace the engine oil, rotate the tires (not necessary for me- new tires within 3000 miles) replace air cleaner, dust and pollen filter and inspect the drive belt. I guess what I'm asking with my original question above is whether anyone has this kind of mileage and if so, any other issues they may have had with their cars. Thanks.
pollen filter is EASY to replace. You can do it yourself for about $24 with a factory filter. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...=pollen+filter

I have a tad over 40k i think. I can inspect the drive belt, and replace the filter. It's not worth it to have a 50k service IMO. Just get an oil change.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Aside from the regular maintenance, I thought the Fit was no service needed up to 100k?

Old 08-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Aside from the regular maintenance, I thought the Fit was no service needed up to 100k?
Thats what i thought to. He also mentioned something about a drive belt. I thought we had a chain rather than a belt

Old 08-06-2008, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario

what he is taking it in for IS regular maintenance. what the fit doesn't need til 100k is a tune up, which involves changing the spark plugs and adjusting valves and such.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
the 'a' service is just the oil and filter change, service 1 is the tire rotation and service 2 is all the filters plus the belt/chain whatever inspection.

Its a bit inaccurate to call it a '50k' service, because your services are do depending on your specific conditions and how you drive your fit. My maintenence minder didn't have me change my filters till i had driven 29k, and i have about 7k between service intervals.

whatever you do DON"T tell the dealer you need the '50k service'. if they don't correct you, they are out to get you.

I just hit 30k, so my last service was last week. My fit was calling for service B12. (the b service is the oil and oil filter change + inspect this, inspect that.) so i told them i just needed an oil and filter change, and service 2 (or whichever one is NOT the tire rotation) because i had just gotten new tires.

it ended up being 169 after taxes. had i done the 'b' service and gotten all those things inspected that i knew were fine, it would have cost me about 230.

in your case, just go in, tell them you need service A and service 2 (or whatever is NOT the tire rotation) and it should not be that much more expensive.

You can also go to edmunds.com and look up your particular services and they can give you a rundown of how much stuff should cost, so that way you know if they are ripping you off or not.

i understand the appeal of doing things yourself, but sometimes its just easier to take it to the dealer. Coming from a VW, paying 40 bucks for an oil change and 160 for the 'big' service every 4-5 months is no big deal at all.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member

According to the manual, on your display below where the oil life is shown:

Service required: A only change engine oil and filter.

Service required: B

1. engine oil and filter replace
2. Check wheels, bearings and brake pads. R&R as req'd
3. Check parking brake adjustment.
4. Inspect tie-rod ends R&R as needed. Inspect tires condition.
5. Check suspension components. R&R as needed
6. Inspect driveshaft boots. R&R as needed
7. Inspect brake hoses and routes, fluid level. Depending on how thick the disc brake pads, add fluid to match. Thin pads, add very little fluid; fill just above low level warning sensor. If you fill the reservoir when you change pads there will be much overflow and brake fluid is corrosive.
8. Inspect all fluid levels, adjust as needed.
9. Inspect exhaust system; R&R as needed.
10. Inspect fuel lines; R&R as needed.
Inspect emissions controls; R&R as needed (fed law)
11. Listen for valve noise: reset valve clearances as needed. This is an easy one for dealers to 'recommend' as it is important and they do charge nicely for the maintenance.
Not stated but the spark plugs should be inspected; R&R as needed. Despite Marketuing claims spark plugs do not last 100k. We seen ones that HAD to be replaced as quickly as 5k miles. And you can do that yourself easily before you go.

I suspect at 50k you will see service B required. Take your checkbook. At $75/hr expect a bill at least $200 for 3 hours; $150 is the service people are kind.

Last edited by mahout; 08-07-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:43 PM
$$$$

Originally Posted by mahout
Service required: B

1. engine oil and filter replace
2. Check wheels, bearings and brake pads. R&R as req'd
3. Check parking brake adjustment.
4. Inspect tie-rod ends R&R as needed. Inspect tires condition.
5. Check suspension components. R&R as needed
6. Inspect driveshaft boots. R&R as needed
7. Inspect brake hoses and routes, fluid level. Depending on how thick the disc brake pads, add fluid to match. Thin pads, add very little fluid; fill just above low level warning sensor. If you fill the reservoir when you change pads there will be much overflow and brake fluid is corrosive.
8. Inspect all fluid levels, adjust as needed.
9. Inspect exhaust system; R&R as needed.
10. Inspect fuel lines; R&R as needed.
Inspect emissions controls; R&R as needed (fed law)
11. Listen for valve noise: reset valve clearances as needed. This is an easy one for dealers to 'recommend' as it is important and they do charge nicely for the maintenance.

I suspect at 50k you will see service B required. Take your checkbook.
For anyone who's had this done what's a typical charge?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feddup

i know my post was long, but it was there.

for the oil change and filter changes and belt inspection, i got charged 170.

it would have been 240 if i would have opted for service B instead of A like i did.

Service B is still an oil and oil filter change, it just has all this 'check up' stuff that mahout posted. unless there is an issue, not worth it until you rack up more miles imo.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:32 PM
oil change. rotation. balance. tranny fluid drain and fill. cabin air and engine air filters. adjust valve timing. somewhat simplestuff

Old 08-07-2008, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feddup
Fitst, add spark plug inspection. Spark plugs do not last 100k miles. We've replaced one as soon as 5k miles. And this is something you can do at home at virtually no cost compared to a Honda tech. Inspect your plugs every 5k miles. There are plenty of pictures available to tell you what the difference is between good and bad plugs. Probably even at your local autoparts store.

The cost of an 'official' Honda inspection will run $150 and up. Well up if valves have to be adjusted. (that little tidbit cost Honda one Fit sale in favor of a Versa that I know of)

Good luck.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zRollerskate
oil change. rotation. balance. tranny fluid drain and fill. cabin air and engine air filters. adjust valve timing. somewhat simplestuff
C'mon Rollerskate. You and I will do all those except tranny drain and fill - bad effort at 50k miles - but they aren't all Honda's definition of B service. And setting valves ain't simple to 90% of Fit owners. Whats balance? (We get over a thousand bucks to balance a simple engine.)

Old 08-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Just got my car worked on today. Ended up being an oil change, air conditioning pollen filter replacement, and a diagnosis of an odd rattle I've been hearing from the front of the car. Turns out a screw or something is apparently trapped between plastic body parts and the car's frame. The shop suggested that I have a dealer take a look at it- maybe they will fix it for free. At any rate, not a big deal anyway. Car's running great- $116. Not bad. I love this car.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
i know my post was long, but it was there.

for the oil change and filter changes and belt inspection, i got charged 170.

So they charged you $170 for a $5 filter, $25 worth of oil.. maybe, probably cheaper oil.. and a 30 second belt inspection? I smell dealer shenanigans!

Last edited by boon4376; 08-07-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:26 PM
im not sure if this can help the original poster or not but id like to chime in. im a honda technician here in memphis and a fellow fitfreaker by 50k miles i would suggest these things have already been done at the below intervals.

oil change every 5k or 15% w/e is first.
rotate your tires every other oil change.
balance tires every 20k or if vibrations are present.
air filters and cabin air filters (dust and pollen) are typically lasting around 30k miles on most hondas in my area BUT, the fits smaller filters get clogged much faster. im seeing about 15k miles on an air filter and realistically about once a year on the cabin air filters. your results may vary by region.
transmission service at 5 yr/ or 50k miles. this is CRUCIAL! i change my trans. fluid every 3rd oil change actually but i do it myself for free. hondas are very reliable but the transmissions fail very quickly if not properly serviced. accords are notorious for this.
brakes should be bleed and master cylinder flushed every 3 years/36k miles. i would rec. every 3 years before i would rec. this at 36k miles.

also one final tip is that honda offers a multi point inspection for FREE even without the purchase of an oil change. ask for this and an oil change and then when everything is checked start adding what you are comfortable with and what needs attention. as a tech i pull all the filters for the customer to see and take them back to my bay to explain my reccomendations before attempting to sell them anything. i operate honestly as do all my coworkers but i cant speak for all dealerships. i hope this helps anyone on their next service visit <~~~steve

Old 08-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by turboex901
im not sure if this can help the original poster or not but id like to chime in. im a honda technician here in memphis and a fellow fitfreaker by 50k miles i would suggest these things have already been done at the below intervals.

oil change every 5k or 15% w/e is first.
rotate your tires every other oil change.
balance tires every 20k or if vibrations are present.
air filters and cabin air filters (dust and pollen) are typically lasting around 30k miles on most hondas in my area BUT, the fits smaller filters get clogged much faster. im seeing about 15k miles on an air filter and realistically about once a year on the cabin air filters. your results may vary by region.
transmission service at 5 yr/ or 50k miles. this is CRUCIAL! i change my trans. fluid every 3rd oil change actually but i do it myself for free. hondas are very reliable but the transmissions fail very quickly if not properly serviced. accords are notorious for this.
brakes should be bleed and master cylinder flushed every 3 years/36k miles. i would rec. every 3 years before i would rec. this at 36k miles.

also one final tip is that honda offers a multi point inspection for FREE even without the purchase of an oil change. ask for this and an oil change and then when everything is checked start adding what you are comfortable with and what needs attention. as a tech i pull all the filters for the customer to see and take them back to my bay to explain my reccomendations before attempting to sell them anything. i operate honestly as do all my coworkers but i cant speak for all dealerships. i hope this helps anyone on their next service visit <~~~steve

now that....is what I am talking about. complete honesty