General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Brake issue simple problem

Old 08-11-2008, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Brake issue simple problem

Figured I'd pass this along.

Ran into what I think may be a common issue on the Fit. Horrible tinkly clanky noise from front right. Sounded like the inner metal rotor shield was intermittently hitting on the brake rotor. Well so I thought. Started Friday and today I decided to take a look see.

I found this tiny rock caught between the rotor and the inner shield at the bottom. Just flexed the shield out by hand and it feel out. The shield has a edge lip that trapped this small rock and let it flip around and make a ton of racket.

Anyone else had this happen? If not keep it in mind when/if it happens to you

Old 08-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
i had that happen to me when I had my Acura Integra. It only happened because i was so low my mudflaps scraped the ground and shot the pebbles up there. But the Fit, nothing YET.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:41 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Happens on any car with disc brakes and a shield. I've had it happen on 3 different cars over the years. Backing up or backing up while turning the wheel usually pops them out. You might have to back up abruptly or speed up a bit so find someplace with lots of room.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
This happened to me last summer... was traumatizing... couldn't figure out what the sudden noise was and it sounded AWFUL.... screeeeeeech! I was on a mountain road with no traffic so I was only going about 15mph wondering what to do. When I got brave enough to get it up to 40 it decided to fall out.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
hahah that's funny

Old 08-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Oops repost

Old 08-16-2008, 06:45 PM
i'm not even sure if i have a rock or object lodged there.

i get this loud 'clack' 2-4 times whenever i brake within the first 5 minutes of starting my car up whether i'm backing out or driving forward. over the course of the rest of the day i never hear it again. it only happens within the first 5 minutes of starting my car for the first time that day and it only does it like 2-4 times before chilling out.

any ideas? it's like my car has ocd or something.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:46 PM
i'm not even sure if i have a rock or object lodged there.

i get this loud 'clack' 2-4 times whenever i brake within the first 5 minutes of starting my car up whether i'm backing out or driving forward. howerver, over the course of the rest of the day i never hear it again. it only happens within the first 5 minutes of starting my car for the first time that day and it only does it like 2-4 times before chilling out.

any ideas? it's like my car has OCD or something.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 PM
That happened to me last summer. A horid screeching noise doing 110km with no place to pull over - once I did I had a helluva time getting back on from the shoulder at a bend!

I went to the nearest Honda dealership, they sent someone right out, they took it out to listen and then showed me a little piece of iron ore (highway was near train tracks) Could also see where it wore down to a shine.

I was SO relieved....figured the tire was ready to fall off lol.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I have had this happen a twice, is kind of a pain because I have to find a long screwdriver to pry it out.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
I see this as a defect.
Never had this on all my rides. Driving for 37 years
I have the fix. The problem is a ridge on the plate that traps stuff like this. I'm going to take a small burr (rotary file) on a die grinder and make a small slot in that ridge so the rock will fall out if it happens again

Honda engineering isn't what it use to be. Some of the stuff I'm seeing the last 10 years is telling and not just on this Fit. My 99 Accord has lots of stupid stuff like this.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:32 AM
lol, you think they're half assing certain stuff to save moneys?

Old 08-22-2008, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ricenpho1
lol, you think they're half assing certain stuff to save moneys?
No
It's a stamped steel part and it would be easy to make a drain for small rocks and stuff to fall out.

I would say this was a design oversight. Maybe Honda feels a part of the car like that did not need a FMEA or what ever tool needed to look at a defect like that and modify the design.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
No
It's a stamped steel part and it would be easy to make a drain for small rocks and stuff to fall out.

I would say this was a design oversight. Maybe Honda feels a part of the car like that did not need a FMEA or what ever tool needed to look at a defect like that and modify the design.
The guy that was in charge of putting in that drain died of overwork.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=pcs0snq;392313]Figured I'd pass this along.

Ran into what I think may be a common issue on the Fit. Horrible tinkly clanky noise from front right. Sounded like the inner metal rotor shield was intermittently hitting on the brake rotor. Well so I thought. Started Friday and today I decided to take a look see.

I found this tiny rock caught between the rotor and the inner shield at the bottom. Just flexed the shield out by hand and it feel out. The shield has a edge lip that trapped this small rock and let it flip around and make a ton of racket.

yes, many times. Its a common occurence when you drive over unmonitored roads. So now you know what to look for.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
yes, many times. Its a common occurence when you drive over unmonitored roads. So now you know what to look for.
common lol
Maybe for you, but like a said NOT ONE TIME IN 37 YEARS of driving.

BTW
"unmonitored roads"
I would take that as no patrol cars and so does goggle

Old 08-22-2008, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Yes, happened on the front right wheel just like in your case. The screeching noise was so terrible I pulled over right away and called a tow truck.

The Honda dealership took a look, found a rock, then covered the repair under warranty. I don't know why they covered it under warranty. Maybe it's a known issue? Maybe because I've had that car at the dealership a dozen times for repairs and they decided not to antagonize me? Who knows?

Old 08-30-2008, 02:43 AM
lol, probably because honda is just so nice. [;